Author Topic: 12" over front end  (Read 15340 times)

bigjohn

12" over front end
« on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:31:55 pm »
went down to metal surplus and got 2- 14" long by 2" diameter aluminum stock. went to 5 machine shops to find one with the balls and ability set up a guage off of some elses 4" fork extensions. finally looking at the end product tonight. still got to polish but can't wait to see that bike with the cheapest way to say yamachopper on it.  and some day i'll run an 800 cu in bbc with a wet sump. they say that can't be done either.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 5
    Re: 12" over front end
    « Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:51:56 pm »
    I don't think anybody said you couldn't do it.  Let us know how that works out in the long run.   Have you calculated what yor trail will be with the 12" extensions?

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2012, 10:38:28 pm »
    I suppose you could go up to one of those super big front wheels that are so popular in the bagger scene to correct the trail.  I think that would do it.  Keep us posted.
    Kick Logic To The Curb!

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2012, 09:29:22 am »
      Definitely post up pics/ I want to see this.

If it's a 14" extension, wont this put the connection below the triple trees?  That would concern me a bit.

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:43:47 am »
      Definitely post up pics/ I want to see this.

If it's a 14" extension, wont this put the connection below the triple trees?  That would concern me a bit.

:agree:  With the connection below the lower triple tree it's going to put a lot more pressure on that joint.  That would concerm me a lot...  :o

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:10:47 am »
      Agreed.  All that weight and impact forces on threaded aluminum...hmmm. 

michael t

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 0
        • bersachat.com
      « Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2012, 12:00:13 pm »
      Glad I won't be doing the test riding. 
      [

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

Went the telephone poles look like a solid wall . Your at cruise speed

bigjohn

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2012, 08:30:24 pm »
      sorry i wasn't clear on some things about the 12" over front end.  the fork extensions are 12" long [end to threaded end].  think this out... #1] some of the fork extension [about 1-2 inches] will extend above the triple tree.  #2] this allows for an 'up down'  adjustment of the forks to put the 'line' right at the top of bottom triple tree clamp. this puts the threaded end and fork tube end dead centered in the clamping part of the bottom tree. for this set up to fail the bottom tree would have to 'explode' the clamp for a thread failure, the bottom of the tree would also have to snap off the bike, or the oem fork tube itself would have to bend.[ buy the way, i have seen wrecked bikes and wrecked a few myself...when a bike hits something the forks simply fold up.]... #3] putting the line at the top clamping part of bottom tree eliminates the unsightly line that occurs when using shorter extensions. #4] with the 'unused' length of the 12" extension rising above the top clamp creates a small optical illusion of the entire front end appearing 'longer' than it actually is. this is the whole idea of  the chopper look. #5] another idea and probably down the road is to completely blank off where stock risers used to be and mount the stock bars or some kind of custom ape directly to the fork tubes extensionsthemselves. 6] i'm 6'3" tall. so i would not mind a jacked up bike [ i set the rear up higher  and going to the 240 keeps the pipes off the ground..i've got a 250 to try next]..7] i'm a big guy and i set the front of the bike on a curb to see what it felt like 'jacked up'.. i loved the feel AND i could see in back of me with the stock mirrors. [and i like the yamie mirrors. 8]

bigjohn

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2012, 08:50:49 pm »
      8] the type of aluminum used is like the stuff you find in drag race motors [1000 h.p. bracket motors to 8000h.p. top fuelers.] it's stronger than steel...the raider uses aluminum in the swing arm...and yes you and strip and polish it. [don't mean to scare ya but the raider has an aluminum frame to boot]  9] yes i know i'll need a longer kickstand 10]longer brake lines, uh-huh 11] yes i've computer designed the entire modification with 65 gabillion gigliobyye auto clad super tuner reverse oscilliscope windows 69 with flame rollout feature, AND it all looks good on paper 12] i'll just putt around the block and if it feels good i'll roll out on the interstate. 13] guys lower the rear and jack the fronts 2,3,4,5 inches and nothin happens. 14] yes i will keep posted on how it works out 15] if it is successful i promise to post a few pics of the high tech. redneck yamaslopper. thanks for your supportive comments. and poo poo on you naysayers. big john
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2012, 09:14:47 pm by bigjohn »

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:11:21 pm »
      If the extension extends above the top triple tree then it is not an extension....and then attach the handlebars to the extensions that stand above the upper trees become nothing more than risers

bigjohn

« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:44:00 am »
       months ago i went to a metal suplus to buy the 2" diameter 'rough' material that the 12" extensions would be cut from. these were originally 14" long. and cost 30-40 bucks.. i  bought the 4" extensions from u-know-who $100 [ they don't have the stones to cut longer ones, and yes i begged] went to a machinist who referred me to another shop for the metric thread. [no i still don't know the size] the other shop only wanted $800 smacks to cut em down. so i called around to another shop and he said he could make something called a gauge for the thread but he couldn't cut the final thread. he also referred to yet another shop [which is just across the creek from my house][i moved recently] the top shop cat said he would do it on the side when he got time. i waited and did not rush the man. he came through for a more reasonable $150. today i wet sanded 400 800 1000 and 2000 grit and am ready to go to the rougue wheel for final polish. they should look almost like chrome this afternoon. i'll change the oil on the bike today too... happy thanksgiving and thank God for our many blessings.... big john

Sarka

• SEA-ROAR
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:53:21 am »
       ttiwwp

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2012, 10:10:42 am »
      OK, let me see it I got this right, the bottom of the extensions will be centered in the clamp of the bottom triple tree, that being the case you actually have about a 6" extension, not a 12" extension.  Clamping it there makes a lot more sense now and it will obviously have more strength being held there.

bigjohn

« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2012, 01:28:45 pm »
      the top of the upper clamp [top of the triple tree] is where we begin. unscrew the cap at the top. this is where the stock tube ends and where the threading for the 12" extension starts. loosen top and bottom clamp slide the entire fork assembly down to the top of the bottom clamp[[or if you want to bust my stones go a 1/2'' to 3/4'' lower into the bottom clamp] . if you take ruler and measure this distance it is around 10 plus inches. also with a spacer placed inside the stock fork tube of over 1 inch, and with the weight of the bike slightly back, the reality of a 12" over front end becomes a reality not fantasy.
           the aluminum used is like a 7017, which has titanium in it. its strong as hell. and it polishes like chrome. and i failed to mention its a lot stronger than the aluminum the stock raider wheels are made of that everyone rides around on, and that goes for the frame and swing arm, as well. yes i will git her done. yes i will post pics for all the riders who can appreciate this mod. my mom used to say 'if you can't say something nice don't asy anything at all'. oops. now let me tell you how i really feel..................just got back from jimmy the polisher/locksmith/assault gun manufacturer/rockstar....and yes , my best friend. he put those extensions on a lathe hit em with a simple paint compound and yes they are as shiny as the forks...you can't tell the difference.  i'm going to thanksgiving now to and thank Jesus for my new extensions...i'll talk to you turkeys later. big john

« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2012, 08:10:47 pm by bigjohn »

Sarka

• SEA-ROAR
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2012, 02:07:36 pm »
      I'm thinking its going to look sick!