Author Topic: 12" over front end  (Read 15337 times)

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 20
Re: 12" over front end
« Reply #75 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:14:36 pm »
those extentions you see are  not random metal. they are an alloy. if you would like me to get you the content of the aluminum used to make those extensions [so you can take it to your metalurgist for testing] i would be more that happy to. and i will send you a free sample.  when you find out it's stronger that the chinjap aluminum in your raider wheels you can buy me a new 8.5 wheel for the back of my invisible raider. deal? why should i post pics? to hear negative and derogatory comments about my ride? oh, but i will post pics [when i'm done] just for the guys that appreciate some one who has the stones to try something no one has ever done. i mean how many raiders rode by your house today with 12" fork extensions? and as for being thin skinned, you would be correct. i know people, nuff said there.  i better slow down on my posts. somebody gave me a time out when i used the word "xxxxx". i was only refering to all the cats that claw and scratch to get a ride on my raider. i like all the attention all the time, anyone else in the same boat? oh yea i better say that i used 3m #2 and #3 by hand on those extensions last night and they are shinier than ever. just ordered a phase 7 light and some more chrome. make some more popcorn the movie's just getting started. big john

Mr. T... Once again I removed the derogatory word regarding a part of the female anatomy.
He may have posted pics we just can't see them.....and since it's invisible wonder if he ever forgets where it's parked

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #76 on: Nov 28, 2012, 07:47:10 am »
    those extentions you see are  not random metal. they are an alloy. if you would like me to get you the content of the aluminum used to make those extensions [so you can take it to your metalurgist for testing] i would be more that happy to. and i will send you a free sample.  when you find out it's stronger that the chinjap aluminum in your raider wheels you can buy me a new 8.5 wheel for the back of my invisible raider. deal? why should i post pics? to hear negative and derogatory comments about my ride? oh, but i will post pics [when i'm done] just for the guys that appreciate some one who has the stones to try something no one has ever done. i mean how many raiders rode by your house today with 12" fork extensions? and as for being thin skinned, you would be correct. i know people, nuff said there.  i better slow down on my posts. somebody gave me a time out when i used the word "xxxxx". i was only refering to all the cats that claw and scratch to get a ride on my raider. i like all the attention all the time, anyone else in the same boat? oh yea i better say that i used 3m #2 and #3 by hand on those extensions last night and they are shinier than ever. just ordered a phase 7 light and some more chrome. make some more popcorn the movie's just getting started. big john

Mr. T... Once again I removed the derogatory word regarding a part of the female anatomy.
    He may have posted pics we just can't see them.....and since it's invisible wonder if he ever forgets where it's parked
    :agree: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: . Prob has one of those remotes u mash the lock button and the horn blows ;D ;D
    Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #77 on: Nov 28, 2012, 09:18:16 am »

bigjohn- I can't think of any instance in the number of years that I've been on this forum where anyone posted negative and derogatory comments about someone's Raider regardless of what or how many mods were done.  Most here feel that if it's your ride than it's your choice to do to it what you want.  Please feel free to post current pictures of your Raider.  We'd all love to see it.

• Advertisement

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #78 on: Nov 28, 2012, 11:53:48 am »
      bigjohn, although able to sign-in and read any/all posts on the forum, will not be able to respond until next Tuesday. 

He's taking a sabbatical.

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

GaGator

• Roadliner
      « Reply #79 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:03:02 pm »
      bigjohn, although able to sign-in and read any/all posts on the forum, will not be able to respond until next Tuesday. 

What, censored for a few red XXXXX's? At least his posts were entertaining. If what he is trying to do works, I'm waiting for ALL the apologies - don't run him off.

Lrdofh8

• Road Star
      « Reply #80 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:28:13 pm »
      Did I just hear the light tapping of the ban hammer? lol

This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me facing the enemy.

Chance13

• Warrior
      « Reply #81 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:30:53 pm »
      I for one want to see this thing when he decides to show it to us....

Put it in the wind, everyday is a good day to ride, if you have a
       RAIDER!!!!!

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #82 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:35:58 pm »
      I for one want to see this thing when he decides to show it to us....

Well, hopefully he'll be ready by next Tuesday to show us something.

budaman

• Raider
      • Referrals: 10
      « Reply #83 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:49:21 pm »

What, censored for a few red XXXXX's? At least his posts were entertaining. If what he is trying to do works, I'm waiting for ALL the apologies - don't run him off.
      I agree I want to see it so stay with us BigJohn
      2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #84 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:55:09 pm »
      i have been refraining from posting on here but i will add my thought to the extensions.

It is a wicked concept and aside from being a static display of a raider with such long extensions with its threaded fork joint being bound by the lower tree, it wont last the road torture.

ultimately you have eliminated the upper tree from doing its job of stabilizing the forks from torsional load.

smaller fork extensions get away with this as they utilize 3 points of torsional resistance. Upper tree, threaded joint and lower tree. Having the joint in the lower tree leaves you with one torsional resistance point, you might as well just drive with the forks bound in the lower tree alone.

no matter how strong the threads are, given how few there are, the fulcrum torsion stress on that joint will sheer the threads out of the forks or off the extension thus rendering a collapse and hopefully not death.  the triples are not made to endure torsional stress that will be applied by the geometry of the forks in relation to the frame being pushed out that far with the joint where it is, add the weight of bike and rider, then the road irregularities it wont last long. Unless you have a trick up your sleeve to strengthen the joint and the fork assembly as a whole?  I wish you best and i will stand corrected if this does work and you dont crash from fork failure.

Toxic is exactly right.  What you're proposing (as we understand it) will not be safe.  There really isn't much reason to retain the raiders trees since adding 12" to them is going to throw off your rake and trail calculations to the point of making the bike nearly unridable regardless of the metal you use.

Do yourself a favor.  first look up the raider's stats with 12" over forks and a 21" wheel in a Rake/trail calculator.  Than figure out the rake you'll need within the trees to get your trail figure back within reason.  You'll likely have to go up to a taller front tire (like the one's their using for custom baggers now.

Then go over to demon cycle (I'm not a huge fan of their management but they have the cheapest raked trees around) and find a set of raked trees that fit your needs.  Then get some Harley lowers off ebay.  Order proper 12" over fork tubes and machine your axel and possibly your spacers and you'll be good to go. 

Just because someone hasn't done something doesn't mean you should try it without examining what can go wrong.  Hell I could run a car tires front and back on my raider...is it smart to do so debatable.  I could use my pants belt to replace my broken belt drive....its it adviseable and going to work...hell no. 

Personally, if I were going that long I'd just do a springer or girder forks (girder's you can safely make yourself...instructions online) and go that route.  In the long run its going to be safer, likely hand better because you'll correct your trail and be more unique.

Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #85 on: Nov 28, 2012, 03:45:23 pm »
      I don't know the guy, but I am pretty nervous for his well being myself (and I too am quite entertained by his posts).  I can't wait to see it, I just hope and prey he has done his research, and it works out ok for him.
      « Last Edit: Nov 28, 2012, 03:53:37 pm by Ron505 »
      I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.

budaman

• Raider
      « Reply #86 on: Nov 28, 2012, 03:53:50 pm »
      I agree with you, we may be kidding around with him a lot but we are all concerned about his safety also. O8O
      2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

michael t

• Warrior
        • bersachat.com
      « Reply #87 on: Nov 28, 2012, 04:04:01 pm »
      We now he will have time to put togather . Instead of hanging out here,  ;D
      [

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

Went the telephone poles look like a solid wall . Your at cruise speed

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #88 on: Nov 28, 2012, 04:59:56 pm »
      I agree with you, we may be kidding around with him a lot but we are all concerned about his safety also. O8O
      :agree: :agree:  I believe we are are concerned about the guys safety . Maybe he has done research and will be able to make this happen and it be safe for him and not pose a hazard for who him and who ever else may be on the road if it were to snap.
      Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

budaman

• Raider
      « Reply #89 on: Nov 28, 2012, 10:23:11 pm »
      No really were is Big John is he on a time out? :cus:
      2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER