Author Topic: Clutches bad ? Sudden loss of power & gas Mileage  (Read 5442 times)

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Clutches bad ? Sudden loss of power & gas Mileage
« Reply #30 on: Nov 10, 2012, 08:27:08 pm »
First,
1.  your first set of plugs could be bad due to age
2.  Your second set of plugs could just be bad period (not unheard of to get bad plugs new out of box)
3.  Check your air filter...if something isn't right it might be blocking air into the intake which might cause the bike to run rich.  If running a K&N is it over oiled?
4.  What pipes are you running?  And have you check your exhaust gaskets
5.  Try the battery trick just to be sure.
6.  Have you checked your O2 sensor?  They do go out ocassionally.  There are checks for them online and if I recall all you'd need to do is disconnect it from under the seat and use a standard voltage meter to check the resistance.
7.  Double check your wires under the tank.  Its fairly easy to pinch and damage those wires as well as the little hose under there.
8.  Check for damaged wires at or near your ECU under the seat.  Unlikely but it can happen.

Last, and this is just a remote possiblity...look inside the bottom of your air box...is it thick (dripping thick) with oil?  if anything more than a film of oil is in there you could be pushing oil out the Crank case vent at the top of the rear cylinder and into the intake.  Normal amounts aren't a big deal but if you had bad rings, it could push a ton of oil out and gum up your carbs.  Simple check is to check if your oil is low and double check the airbox when you change the filter.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #31 on: Nov 10, 2012, 09:50:11 pm »
    First,
    1.  your first set of plugs could be bad due to age
    2.  Your second set of plugs could just be bad period (not unheard of to get bad plugs new out of box)
    3.  Check your air filter...if something isn't right it might be blocking air into the intake which might cause the bike to run rich.  If running a K&N is it over oiled?
    4.  What pipes are you running?  And have you check your exhaust gaskets
    5.  Try the battery trick just to be sure.
    6.  Have you checked your O2 sensor?  They do go out ocassionally.  There are checks for them online and if I recall all you'd need to do is disconnect it from under the seat and use a standard voltage meter to check the resistance.
    7.  Double check your wires under the tank.  Its fairly easy to pinch and damage those wires as well as the little hose under there.
    8.  Check for damaged wires at or near your ECU under the seat.  Unlikely but it can happen.

Last, and this is just a remote possiblity...look inside the bottom of your air box...is it thick (dripping thick) with oil?  if anything more than a film of oil is in there you could be pushing oil out the Crank case vent at the top of the rear cylinder and into the intake.  Normal amounts aren't a big deal but if you had bad rings, it could push a ton of oil out and gum up your carbs.  Simple check is to check if your oil is low and double check the airbox when you change the filter.

Aight  . I went checked all my connections. Every thing is good . Took each plug out and checked to make sure they were fireing.  Going to change them monday when shop opens. Hopefully it is just the plugs. I took my filter out checked to make sure it wasnt moved or nothing had got caught up n it. ( Little over 200 miles on it.  I am now on the V&H 2n2 pipes and i used . Brand new exhaust gaskets. I just done the battery reset. Took the negative cable off for little over a minute. I am going to check the ohms on my 02 sensor. Dont know what it should be at far as specs. I checked the wires up and down . I didnt see any frays or cuts nor nicks.  I do have a little oil in the box. But it is like a light film of oil.  I am hoping that it is the spark plugs.   Could just one spark plug be doing that ?
    Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Wassup77

• Road Star
    Clutches bad ? Sudden loss of power & gas Mileage
    « Reply #32 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:41:07 am »
    Hey sweet, you get that thing running right yet?

• Advertisement

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #33 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:23:40 pm »
      I believe that i have it runnin as it should . I road it once since the other day . Have been busy went to Lousiana in the cage and havent had really much time. Gonna ride tomar and see how it does. But im at 90 miles and almost half tank :) :) :) . I will know for sure tomar. I got to run to Laurel then to hattiesburg .

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2012, 06:09:40 pm »
      Checked today when i filled up. I was gettin 42 mpg. Either it was air in the line . Or that plug that was black wasnt no good.Checked that plug . Runnin at Enter state speeds today so i am sure i wont get quite as much ;D ;D .