Author Topic: 4k oil change intervals? mobil 1 syn?  (Read 12665 times)

Bearster18

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
4k oil change intervals? mobil 1 syn?
« on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:32:18 am »
Is it possible to get 4k interval using the 20w 50 v twin mobil one oil? Just curious before I go buy this stuff since it looks to be a good oil after searching this sit! Thanks!
09 Raider,cobra swept exhaust,PC3, BARON BAK, LED rear tail, floor boards, lowered rear, la chopper 9" bars w/ avon air grips

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: 4k oil change intervals? mobil 1 syn?
    « Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:46:52 am »
    I go 5 to 6k and use the Mobil1 V-Twin20/50 also, just check the level in oil tank and how dirty the oil looks, mine is still pretty clear at 5k
    Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
    Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
    « Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:56:12 am »
    I read on an oil manufacture site that dirty looking oil means it is doing it's job of keeping the engine clean and not to worry about it.  They said within a few hundred miles it isn't unusual for the oil to be dirty looking.  This was from one of the big oil companies but I don't recall which one.  One of these though - Quaker State, Valvoline, Mobil, Castrol, or maybe Pennzoil.

Since the owners manual has 4,000 mile intervals for dino oil, I'd be comfy going at least that distance on synthetic.  I use the Mobil-1 and at $10/qt don't want to change oil more than I have to.

• Advertisement

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2012, 09:14:42 am »
      Synthetic oil is much better then dino oil and will last longer.  Getting 5 to 6k under normal conditions will have no adverse effects on your engine.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2012, 09:34:17 am »
      I'm using Amsoil 20/50 synthetic and I still change about every 4000 miles.  I ride too much and am not taking a chance with it.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2012, 03:15:04 pm »
      Do they sell that amsol anywhere online . The Yamahalube isnt but like 5 bucks a quart. I looked the other day and Amsol is a wopping 11$ and some change a quart :yikes:
      Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Deyv

• Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2012, 03:27:53 pm »
      Do they sell that amsol anywhere online . The Yamahalube isnt but like 5 bucks a quart. I looked the other day and Amsol is a wopping 11$ and some change a quart :yikes:

If you buy it by the gallon.. the price goes down some...

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
      « Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2012, 03:39:00 pm »
      How clean or dirty your motor oil is at any given moment is only one many factors to consider. There are around 15 ddifferent additives most motor oils, and it's the additive package that does the " heavy lifting". There is no way to determine which additives have become depleted or expired by looking at the oil. More frequent oil changes ensures all the additives are functioning adequately for the entire interval.
      "If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2012, 04:46:34 pm »
      From Quaker State site:

http://www.quakerstate.com/#/car-care/myth-vs-fact

Myth: Oil Color
      You can tell the condition of oil by the look, smell or color of it. And if it turns dark or black quickly, it’s no good.

Fact:
      Nothing could be further from the truth. If the oil is doing its job of cleaning the engine, then it should be dirty when it is drained. Quaker State® motor oil will start looking dirty a short time after it is put to use. In the case of diesel engines, the oil may look dirty within a few hours of operation. These are signs that the motor oil is doing its job of keeping soot, dirt and other combustion contaminants in suspension to be carried to the filter or removed from the crankcase when the oil is changed. Quaker State motor oils have been formulated to hold these contaminants in suspension until they can be removed with an oil and filter change.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2012, 04:51:37 pm »
      The only way to determine if you're oil is okay to continue using is to get the engine good and hot.  Then with the bike in a level position, remove the dip stick, wipe clean and place back in. Do not screw in.  Then remove the dipstick and place directly against tongue.  If it has a fishy taste it's no longer good and should be changed immediately.  If it tasts like chocolate chip cookies, then it's okay to continue using.

Oh and if anyone actually attempts this, PLEASE post it here.  I could use a good laugh.

Bearster18

• Road Star
      « Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2012, 04:56:10 pm »
      ^^^That just made my day!
      09 Raider,cobra swept exhaust,PC3, BARON BAK, LED rear tail, floor boards, lowered rear, la chopper 9" bars w/ avon air grips

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2012, 05:12:01 pm »
      The only way to determine if you're oil is okay to continue using is to get the engine good and hot.  Then with the bike in a level position, remove the dip stick, wipe clean and place back in. Do not screw in.  Then remove the dipstick and place directly against tongue.  If it has a fishy taste it's no longer good and should be changed immediately.  If it tasts like chocolate chip cookies, then it's okay to continue using.

Oh and if anyone actually attempts this, PLEASE post it here.  I could use a good laugh.
      Please Post Video  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
      Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

bigjohn

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2012, 05:26:42 pm »
      i see there are few that use amsoil...once you see the specs on this stuff you'll realize that everything else is second best. i've built and raced every motor from a lawn tractor to pro mod tunnel boats and enough nitrous to put nyc under for an hour. i had a chevy truck i used to change the oil every 25-30,000 miles. that thing had 350,000 hard miles when i gave it away running like it was new. i've never lost a motor on bearing failure with amsoil, ever. i ran a triple fogger bbc over a thousand hp. after five years of racing, i hit it with a 750 shot of n2o and hydrauliced the cylinders...fried the rings burned holes in all the pistons, and tuliped all intake valves. but the bearings where like new. there is no substitute for amsoil. no other oil manufacturer dare compare their oil to amsoil. and there is a reason you can't find a manufacturer even claiming their oil is better.  this is because they know if they challenge amsoil, their product would be revealed for what it is..and that would in no doubt be spelled...inferior. and that's the cold hard truth.
      i'm running amsoil in the gear box and in the motor. and it's a relief to KNOW i've got the best. study it out for yourself...big john

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2012, 06:09:07 pm »
      I have a somewhat different opinion.  This is an opinion.  Please allow me to have one. 

I firmly believe that, regardless of what you are driving/riding, if you use an oil that meets the manufaturers recommendations and you change it regularly, you and your engine will be just fine.

I have never used Amsoil and have never had a bearing failure either. I'm just saying...

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2012, 06:41:33 pm »
      I have a somewhat different opinion.  This is an opinion.  Please allow me to have one. 

I firmly believe that, regardless of what you are driving/riding, if you use an oil that meets the manufaturers recommendations and you change it regularly, you and your engine will be just fine.

I have never used Amsoil and have never had a bearing failure either. I'm just saying...
      :agree: I will say that I do use amsoil in my scoot. I think a lot depends on your riding style...and also where you live. To me...imho....if you live in the hotter climates...I'd change my oil more often than in the northern climates....if you get that oil and engine temp up there alot...I'd change it more often. I change mine about ever 3500-4000 regardless. If I run it hard during hotter weather...maybe a tad sooner....a small price to pay imho.