Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: 4k oil change intervals? mobil 1 syn?  (Read 3467 times)

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 4k oil change intervals? mobil 1 syn?
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2012, 06:43:31 PM »
I have a somewhat different opinion.  This is an opinion.  Please allow me to have one. 

I firmly believe that, regardless of what you are driving/riding, if you use an oil that meets the manufaturers recommendations and you change it regularly, you and your engine will be just fine.

I have never used Amsoil and have never had a bearing failure either. I'm just saying...
:agree: I will say that I do use amsoil in my scoot. I think a lot depends on your riding style...and also where you live. To me...imho....if you live in the hotter climates...I'd change my oil more often than in the northern climates....if you get that oil and engine temp up there alot...I'd change it more often. I change mine about ever 3500-4000 regardless. If I run it hard during hotter weather...maybe a tad sooner....a small price to pay imho.
P.S. I think Mobile 1 is as good as Amsoil...just my dealer gives a little break on the price of Amsoil is why I went that route.

Paladin

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2012, 11:46:34 PM »
I run a Scotts cleanable oil filter and Castrol 20-50 oil. I change it and clean the filter every 2K. Keep in mind that an air cooled engine has looser tolerances than a water cooled engine, so the oil becomes contaminated sooner. A disposable oil filter's filtering alility is good for about 2K, then the oil is routed through the filter's bypass valve. At that point you're running contaminated oil through your engine. The lubricating protection of motor oil (Syn or Dino) may be good for 4K or longer, but how clean it stays and for how long, is dependent on the filter the oil passes through. If I were going to run my oil for 4K, I'd change my filter every 2K.

If I was pushing an engine to its operating limits for an extended period, I'd run Syn oil. However, for normal engine operation, I can't see any real need for running Syn oil. 
Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

bigjohn

« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2012, 04:48:52 AM »
yes it is true motors have been run for years with dino oil and other synthetics. but i was refering to what oil has the greatest performance features. i believe one of the greatest features of amsoil its superior shear strength compare to any other synthetic. this feature of shear refers to an oils ability to keep metal from rubbing together. it's ability to withstand heat especially over time would probably be the next important feature. yes a motor can run on dino, i've seen cars run for hours with no oil. but i want an oil to give me the best possible protection from metal to metal contact. and that's if i over heat a motor or start it in  sub zero temps. if you line up a bunch of motorcycles or a bunch of quarts of oil, most people would contend they're all the same. until  you start looking...and then look some more. i could ride a harley on mobil one..but i'm on a raider with amsoil. and one more thing when that raider motor finally wears out, woudn't you like to know it wasn't from the oil you were using? most guys on this site know how to treat a motor, and i appreciate their expertise. we are all pretty smart, that's why we own raiders. again when i comes to talking about oil, i don't know of any oil that has ever challenged amsoil. please show me any information that proves otherwise. big john

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2012, 05:39:39 AM »
  John, you have that backwards somewhat: Amsoil has not been "challenged" and niether have they challenged anyone else. All they do is post specs and make unverified claims, and rely on endoresments from those such as yourself. Every  PCO manufacturere does that. That all means nothing...zip, in the real world. That is why  those claims and any other specs or bench tests cannot be legally used as a basis to claim sueriority over another brand's synthetic oil in the USA. Only real-world testing in actual engines under close third-party scrutiny is allowed by the FTC to be used as "proof" of superiority. Only Mobil has ever done the actual trsting required to legally make the claim that Mobil 1 is the "best oil in the world". Amsoil certainly has not done that type of testing. Amsoil is also well known to have sold products over the years with incorrect labeming, and to have been made using specs other than what they officially list. There is no manufacturer that can or evet has claimed  that thier oil outperforms Mobil 1 in real-world testing. That is a fact, not an opinion. The truth is that ALL name brand motor oils are very, very good and thete is little functional difference between them. You will get outstanding performance from any of them if you follow a good service scedule.
"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

gostr8r

• A proud SEA ROAR Member.
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2012, 09:54:37 AM »
To somewhat back up Kitís reply, I used to run Amzoil in my Warrior and the clutch prematurely started slipping on freezing mornings and I eventually had to replace to the clutch at $650. I made a call to a famous m/c drag racing guy in Calí that holds several world records on street bikes in the 1/4 mile. He said he tried about all the fully syní oils and Amzoil actually caused his Warrior clutches to slip and so he finally settled on Mobil 1 without ANY slippage at all. I changed over to Mobil 1 and never had another problem after that.
I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I have a somewhat different opinion.  This is an opinion.  Please allow me to have one. 

I firmly believe that, regardless of what you are driving/riding, if you use an oil that meets the manufaturers recommendations and you change it regularly, you and your engine will be just fine.

I have never used Amsoil and have never had a bearing failure either. I'm just saying...

I compeltely agree. Though I did notice some slight differences the two times I was not running Amsoil. When I let the dealer do it with I'm guessing YamaLube, I noticed the most. I also noticed a bit more vibration running Mobil 1 last time.  Now it wasn't a valid test, since there could've been other factors involved and it was only for one oil change and not mutilpe tests.  I just feel more comfortable with Amsoil. If I needed Mobil 1 again in a pinch, I'd use it no question. 

GlacierBlue

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
Is it possible to get 4k interval using the 20w 50 v twin mobil one oil? Just curious before I go buy this stuff since it looks to be a good oil after searching this sit! Thanks!

I don't know how much this matters, but I didn't see the JASO MA designation on Mobil One 20W50 (I did see JASO MA on Mobil One 10W 40). 
Chris in Edinboro PA
2011 Raider S in Glacier Blue

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
Is it possible to get 4k interval using the 20w 50 v twin mobil one oil? Just curious before I go buy this stuff since it looks to be a good oil after searching this sit! Thanks!

I don't know how much this matters, but I didn't see the JASO MA designation on Mobil One 20W50 (I did see JASO MA on Mobil One 10W 40). 
It has it.  Be sure you are looking at th "V-twin" version. Wet clutches are part of the target formulation for the V-twin 20W-50 and 4T 10W-40 blends.  Other 20W-50 blends may not be suitable for wet clutches.

GlacierBlue

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »
...A disposable oil filter's filtering ablility is good for about 2K, then the oil is routed through the filter's bypass valve. At that point you're running contaminated oil through your engine.

I have to question this because in the owner's manual, it says to change the oil every 4K and the filter every 8K.  I will be changing my filter every time I change the oil, but that's not the point.  The point is that Yamaha obviously thinks the filter is going to last for 2 oil changes, and you don't think it will last for one.

I have a Honda CRV (a SUV) that takes the same filter as the Raider.  If you follow the automatic oil change minder, it says to change the oil  every 10,500 (for my driving style) and change the filter every other oil change.

Are you sure the filter is only good for 2K?  Can you cite the source of this info?  Doesn't seem to gel with OEMs' recommendations, and you would think they would study such things.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2012, 09:50:31 PM by GlacierBlue »
Chris in Edinboro PA
2011 Raider S in Glacier Blue

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2012, 12:24:25 AM »
I'm basing my opinion on oil filters that use a cellulose (paper) filtering element. Honda OEM oil filters (cotton/paper blend) are one of the best filters out there, as are most of the OEM automotive oil filters. But, these are oil filters that are used on water cooled engines, which have tighter tolerances than air cooled engines. Because air cooled engines operate at higher temperatures, they have greater expansion rates than that of water cooled engines, so their tolerances have to be greater, which will cause more combustion residue to by pass the piston rings and contaminate the oil at a faster rate. I'm also basing my opinion on the number of engines I've rebuilt over the years.

For the reasons I've previously stated, I don't run syn oil. So, changing my oil every 2K miles is no big deal for me. I can certainly understand the reluctance to dump a load of expensive syn oil every 2K miles. However, changing the oil filter every 2K miles and adding a pint or so, to top off the tank can't be all that expensive. To me, it seems like cheap insurance.

I have a 1990 Toyota 4Runner that I changed the oil (Dino) and filter every 2K miles. The engine went over 300K miles, before it needed to be rebuilt, due to the rings finally giving out. I'm not sure the engine would have lasted that long, if I had changed the oil and filter at the manufactures recommended intervals.

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2012, 12:29:55 AM by Paladin »
Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:20:10 AM »
I'm basing my opinion on oil filters that use a cellulose (paper) filtering element. Honda OEM oil filters (cotton/paper blend) are one of the best filters out there, as are most of the OEM automotive oil filters. But, these are oil filters that are used on water cooled engines, which have tighter tolerances than air cooled engines. Because air cooled engines operate at higher temperatures, they have greater expansion rates than that of water cooled engines, so their tolerances have to be greater, which will cause more combustion residue to by pass the piston rings and contaminate the oil at a faster rate. I'm also basing my opinion on the number of engines I've rebuilt over the years.

For the reasons I've previously stated, I don't run syn oil. So, changing my oil every 2K miles is no big deal for me. I can certainly understand the reluctance to dump a load of expensive syn oil every 2K miles. However, changing the oil filter every 2K miles and adding a pint or so, to top off the tank can't be all that expensive. To me, it seems like cheap insurance.

I have a 1990 Toyota 4Runner that I changed the oil (Dino) and filter every 2K miles. The engine went over 300K miles, before it needed to be rebuilt, due to the rings finally giving out. I'm not sure the engine would have lasted that long, if I had changed the oil and filter at the manufactures recommended intervals.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D If i changed my oil every 2k miles . Sometimes i would change it twice in 2 or 3 weeks :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Thatd put a dent in the money tree. ;D  We got a truck with over 300 k and one with 240k and we use regular old castoroil ever 4 or 5 k. 8)
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 19, 2012, 08:28:28 AM »

It is quite possible that if you had been using a good synthetic oil for your toyota and changing it and the filter every 3-5,000 miles or so, your engine would not have needed to be rebuilt at the time that it did. Synthetic is superior to dino in all respects, especially ring wear.
"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
There is no way I could change my oil every 2000 miles.  I am consistent about every 4000 and change the filter each time.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »
I change oil every 2-3k regardless of what I'm using.  I agree with Paladin on the oil filter life as well.

Did run into a funny issue running amsoil that really makes zero sense but I'll post it anyway.  Last summer in Minnesota (not overly hot) I ran amsoil.  I've used amsoil for years with good results.  Put it in the raider and immediately noticed that I'm running hotter (yep, makes no sense).  Grabbed my little RC infared thermometer and started taking it along for rides doing temp checks at stops.  I was consistently running 20 degrees hotter than I usually did.  After the summer was over and I changed back to yamalube temps went back down for this past summer.

Not sure what I'll put in her next...gotta change oil soon though.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Motodad393

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2012, 10:46:05 AM »
I change my oil religiously every 5,000 miles.  I have used Amsoil fully synthetic since 800 miles.  I always change the filter with the oil.  Amsoil is capable of running longer.  I run Amsoil in my truck for 15,000 miles and change it then.  Many folks waste lots of $$ on changing their oil prematurely.  Synthetic oil does not decompose from heat until ~900 degrees F. 

Works for me. Ride Safe!
MD393