Author Topic: 4k oil change intervals? mobil 1 syn?  (Read 12666 times)

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Re: 4k oil change intervals? mobil 1 syn?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 19, 2012, 10:49:24 am »
I change oil every 2-3k regardless of what I'm using.  I agree with Paladin on the oil filter life as well.

Did run into a funny issue running amsoil that really makes zero sense but I'll post it anyway.  Last summer in Minnesota (not overly hot) I ran amsoil.  I've used amsoil for years with good results.  Put it in the raider and immediately noticed that I'm running hotter (yep, makes no sense).  Grabbed my little RC infared thermometer and started taking it along for rides doing temp checks at stops.  I was consistently running 20 degrees hotter than I usually did.  After the summer was over and I changed back to yamalube temps went back down for this past summer.

Not sure what I'll put in her next...gotta change oil soon though.
;D ;D Now that your in La its prob gonna run a tad warmer. Not quite as cool as up north i suppose.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

GlacierBlue

• Road Star
    « Reply #31 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:17:35 am »
    ...water cooled engines, which have tighter tolerances than air cooled engines. Because air cooled engines operate at higher temperatures, they have greater expansion rates than that of water cooled engines, so their tolerances have to be greater, which will cause more combustion residue to by pass the piston rings and contaminate the oil at a faster rate. I'm also basing my opinion on the number of engines I've rebuilt over the years...

As far as combustion residue, isn't it very related to the number of heat up and cool down cycles?  Long trips require less oil changes and short hops require more.

I think I'll cut open my Raider filter at 4,000 miles and my Honda CRV filter at about 10,500 miles and see how much residue is on the media.  Not sure what to expect.  When I do, I'll try to remember to post back here.  Won't be soon though.
    Chris in Edinboro PA
    2011 Raider S in Glacier Blue

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #32 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:20:53 am »
    I change oil every 2-3k regardless of what I'm using.  I agree with Paladin on the oil filter life as well.

Did run into a funny issue running amsoil that really makes zero sense but I'll post it anyway.  Last summer in Minnesota (not overly hot) I ran amsoil.  I've used amsoil for years with good results.  Put it in the raider and immediately noticed that I'm running hotter (yep, makes no sense).  Grabbed my little RC infared thermometer and started taking it along for rides doing temp checks at stops.  I was consistently running 20 degrees hotter than I usually did.  After the summer was over and I changed back to yamalube temps went back down for this past summer.

Not sure what I'll put in her next...gotta change oil soon though.
    ;D ;D Now that your in La its prob gonna run a tad warmer. Not quite as cool as up north i suppose.

Yep.  I might be forced to switch back to Amsoil due to the heat.  I'll probably run one more cycle with yamalube this winter and then switch to Amsoil again in the summer.  Hopefully I don't have the same amsoil problem before.  Odd cause synthetic should reduce heat, at least from everything I've read.
    Kick Logic To The Curb!

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #33 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:28:20 am »
      I'm running Amsoil all Summer long with no issues.

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #34 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:31:53 am »

+1

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #35 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:47:23 am »

+1

Its funny I've never had issues with it before.  Although it did cause my wife's xs650 clutch to slip some.
      I wonder If I just got a bad batch of it in my raider.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #36 on: Nov 19, 2012, 01:19:10 pm »
      I think next oil change i am gonna switch over to  synthetic either mobile 1 or amsol. Does castroil sell any for the motorcycles ?
      Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #37 on: Nov 19, 2012, 04:24:42 pm »
      Castrol sells a 10w50 synthetic MC.  Looks like the newer owners manuals say 10w50 is ok.  I've emailed Castrol asking if the useful life is the same as their 20w50 and no reply yet.

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
      « Reply #38 on: Nov 19, 2012, 04:37:29 pm »
      Synthetic oil does not decompose from heat until ~900 degrees F. 

900 degrees? Where did you get that figure?

A typical combustion ring in gas engines reach about 300 degrees, and the top rings in diesels can approach 600 degrees.
      Dino oil will typically begin to oxidize beyond use at around 550 degrees and full PAO synthetic will go to a little more than 700.

at 900 degrees any PCO will have long been useless.

But...if you have an engine running 900 degrees internally, you may have other issues to think about :)
      "If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

Motodad393

• Road Star
      « Reply #39 on: Nov 19, 2012, 04:58:31 pm »
      Synthetic oil does not decompose from heat until ~900 degrees F. 

900 degrees? Where did you get that figure?

A typical combustion ring in gas engines reach about 300 degrees, and the top rings in diesels can approach 600 degrees.
      Dino oil will typically begin to oxidize beyond use at around 550 degrees and full PAO synthetic will go to a little more than 700.

at 900 degrees any PCO will have long been useless.

But...if you have an engine running 900 degrees internally, you may have other issues to think about :)

When I worked in a refinery one of the scientists told me that approximate temperature of 900 F. with respect to full synthetic oil.  From IR guns our Raiders run around 275 to 325 F on hot days.  No way the Raiders run any where close to 900 F.  The lack of "impurities" from mother nature and chemical stabilizers make the full synthetic oil more heat stable.  The full synthetic also maintains its lubricity much better than regular oil.   

bigjohn

« Reply #40 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:08:09 pm »
      some one wrote in about amsoil this and that. i noticed he didn't have a comment about the shear rating on amsoil as compared to ALL other synthitic oils. no comment? my motor is worth the extra $$$ for the oil that doesn't crap out before the other syn oils. this is not opinion. this is based on an actual testing. what are you reading that states otherwise? don"t talk, just show me the facts. big john

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #41 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:23:00 pm »
      Update on what Castrol told me.  In so many words they said the "service" life of the 10w50syn vs their 20w50syn will meet the oil change intervals Yamaha specified and to follow manufacturer recommendations.  So, in my words, they didn't provide the answer I was looking for, but did provide the answer to be expected.

bigjohn

« Reply #42 on: Nov 21, 2012, 06:32:38 am »
      type in amsoil vs. mobil one. big john

CBird

• Roadliner
      « Reply #43 on: Nov 21, 2012, 11:30:08 am »

+1

+2 (thanks to this thread I just read more than I wanted to on Amsoil vs. Mobil 1, I will stick with Amsoil)

Michiana_Raider

• V Star
      « Reply #44 on: Nov 21, 2012, 01:08:25 pm »
      The only way to determine if you're oil is okay to continue using is to get the engine good and hot.  Then with the bike in a level position, remove the dip stick, wipe clean and place back in. Do not screw in.  Then remove the dipstick and place directly against tongue.  If it has a fishy taste it's no longer good and should be changed immediately.  If it tasts like chocolate chip cookies, then it's okay to continue using.

Oh and if anyone actually attempts this, PLEASE post it here.  I could use a good laugh.

Is this procedure for Synthetic, or Dino?
      Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.