Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: What should I do?  (Read 1371 times)

Jeremy

• Ride to Live, Live to Ride
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
What should I do?
« on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:28:15 PM »
Alright boys and gals, as some of you know I recently moved to St. Charles, MO where I took a job and live in an Apartment so my motorcycle sits out.  Well this weekend I went back "Home" to Indiana and picked up my dads Enclosed trailer to take my Raider back to indiana over Thanksgiving.  When I got back to Missouri tonight, this is what I found.  The pictures are kinda hard to see being its dark, but there was about 3 dump truck loads of leaves around my bike with them cleaned away from my bike.  My bike was completely covered with a bike cover.  So I uncovered it to find what you see in the pictures.  What should I do?  I obviously will be calling Irrate tomorrow about this issue, but what are your guys' suggestions?

Jeremy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »
Here are more pictures.

michael t

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:35:04 PM »
Is you bike hurt . ?  most important thing . I would be on phone to manager . (but I doubt that will do much)

If you going to keep there in Mo.  I think I might look into a storage unit  to keep bike in. Its safe out of weather  and fairly cheap .   or else take home  for winter.
[

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

j4patrice

• Angel by day...Devil by night...
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:42:02 PM »
I think I would start with a wet/dry vac and suck those leaves out first.  Maybe that would do the trick. ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2012, 09:47:46 PM by j4patrice »

Sarka

• SEA-ROAR
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:44:36 PM »
Get one of thesehttp://www.speedwayshelters.com/features.php I want one for my work place some jack @$$ keyed my tank a few weeks ago ! Plus the parking gets dusty and debrie is every where. I would print those pictures out then collect all those leaves and dump them on the desk of the property manger ! That may be too far but blowing leaves in to someone's covered bike is uncalled for

Jeremy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:45:20 PM »
Sorry, I left that part out, I did get what leaves I could out by hand and started it up and gave it some gas hopeing to blow out the leaves that are in the pipe, and it is loaded it my dads trailer now.  It will indeed go to Indiana for the winter.  I just don't know if I should waste my time calling and complaining as you said. 

Thanks guys

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2012, 11:01:01 PM »
Jeremy, sorry to see that but don't let this go unreported, even if it does no good the manager will know you are not happy and will probably ensure it does not happen again next year.  It just boggles my mind why anyone would do that in the first place.

Biker Cowboy

• Two wheels on a Ribbon of Highway = Shining Times
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle Touring on Freedom Road
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2012, 12:03:59 AM »
Was me I'd print out the pics you have.

Go over the bike with a FINE TOOTH COMB and make sure that there is no operational damage from the debris.

Time how long it takes to clean out the remaining debris and add to the time it took you to get it to that point. I assume it was piled/blown up by a maintenance/landscape crew of the Apt. Complex?

Then, print up a bill for the cleanup and any mechanical damages and present to the Apt. management. Use the hourly rate you get at your job!

Keep a copy for yourself. Advise them that failure to pay proper compensation will result in a small claims court filing that will end up costing them MORE in Time and Dinero.

THEN... I'd consider finding a fresh residence.

Just my two cents worth... which is a pretty good deal considering it's Free!  ;)

When the world is crushing your soul... Put two wheels on a Ribbon of Highway... and leave your burdens behind...

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2012, 06:02:58 AM »
First, the bike:
If the leaves are dry and the engine has not been started (as it appears) then I don't see any reason why a shop vac or leaf vac and a few minutes followed by a once-over with your favoriete method of clean and shine won't return the bike to it's normal beauty and functionality.  If the leaves were blown up under the cover, then some dust came along with them and the cover may have rubbed that accross the paint and some additional elbow grease with a good polish and wax may be in order. 

Your recourse:
I gotta ask.  Where was the bike parked?  If it was in an assigned parking space, then the treatment of it was totally inappropriate and the management as well as the contractor should be made aware.  A report to the BBB will have some effect if they don't give you any satisfaction.  I'm no attorney, and I don't know how much you want to put into this yourself, but taking it to court may be more costly in time and effort (and maybe court costs) than it is worth.  If the bike was parked someplace other than an assigned parking space, then you probably have no recourse. 

Whatever action you take should be commensurate with whatever you want to get.  Do you expect an apology?  Some sort of financial compensation?  Free rent for a month?  Don't let us decide that for you.

Jeremy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:11:45 AM »

Thanks for the input.  I am not out to "get" anyone, I just want people to learn to treat others and their property with respect.  I also want someone to pay for my time it will require to have my bike detailed to what it looked like before this incident.  I understand accidents happen, but this was no accident, the bike was completely covered and therefore they had to just about dump a load of the leafs damn near on the bike then blow them away from it causing the mess you guys see.

Your recourse:
I gotta ask.  Where was the bike parked?  If it was in an assigned parking space, then the treatment of it was totally inappropriate and the management as well as the contractor should be made aware.  A report to the BBB will have some effect if they don't give you any satisfaction.  I'm no attorney, and I don't know how much you want to put into this yourself, but taking it to court may be more costly in time and effort (and maybe court costs) than it is worth.  If the bike was parked someplace other than an assigned parking space, then you probably have no recourse. 

The bike has been in the same parking spot as it always has been, and yes it is indeed a parking spot. 

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2012, 08:06:43 AM »
Jeremy, I meant no offense by asking that question.  I just wanted to frame expectations.  My granddaughter lives in a rental townhouse and I see bikes and jet skiis parked between the buildings against the rules.  I just thought I'd ask. 

I have no idea how you can get paid for your time.  If there is actual damage, you might get reparations, but I don't think you'll get "time".

It's not me, but if it were, I think I would be settling for an apology and a gift card or other relationship damage control.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:12:18 AM »
I'm guessing the best you're going to get is if there was actual damage, they may pay for it, but it's going to more than likely be a long and hard battle.  Other than that I bet Management will say they will bring this up to the maintenance crew and if you're lucky they may be more careful around your bike.

The problem is you're in an apartment.  This is one of the reasons people don't like living in apartments. You have a ton of irresponsible people all brought together that come into contact with your stuff.

I hope it works out, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

GOOD LUCK!

Jeremy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What should I do?
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »
Jeremy, I meant no offense by asking that question.  I just wanted to frame expectations.  My granddaughter lives in a rental townhouse and I see bikes and jet skiis parked between the buildings against the rules.  I just thought I'd ask. 

I have no idea how you can get paid for your time.  If there is actual damage, you might get reparations, but I don't think you'll get "time".

It's not me, but if it were, I think I would be settling for an apology and a gift card or other relationship damage control.

You are good man!  I took no offense brotha! 

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jeremy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »
I agree with you all!  I am definitely not looking for a hand out, I am looking for an oops we f%$#ed up, I apologize, the sad thing with the world today is, I wont get that.  I have spoke with the apartment's manager who did apologize and had the Landscaping Co. Contact me.  After talking with rhe lady she basically told me there was no way they did it if it was covered, it must have been a group of kids.  We you boys no just as well as I do, with a huge ass pile of leaves sitting next to my bike and a leaf blower is just asking for covering the bike and everything around it.  So she told me to send the pictures to her and she will take look.  Im sure i am waisting my time by I will tell them where to stick them leaves before its over!  ;)

woodog

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What should I do?
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »
If it was a landscaping company and they have insurance....its possible cleaning will be paid for........I own a Lanscaping business.

You are good man!  I took no offense brotha! 

[/quote]
Woodog..Patriot Raider...Marine... MGySgt.  Semper Fidelis