Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: most radical raider mods  (Read 2611 times)

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
Re: most radical raider mods
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »
12" is pretty far. I am guessing that is a typo of 1-2". Either way with the mods you have, I would love to see a picture. Post one up.

It's no type O, he really is going to put 12 inch extensions on his Yamachopper as he calls it...  :yikes:
12" extension puts the connection below the triple tree which could be a bad mistake - changing out the triple tree to increase the rake with a 4" extension would probably be more preferable - the other alternative would be getting longer upper tubes....just my .02
7th Annual SERR Maggie Valley lodging info

Best Western Mountainbrook Inn
828-926-3962

Microtel Inn & Suites
828-926-8554

Rate info:
$60.00 plus tax (Sunday-Thursday)
$85.00 plus tax (Friday Saturday)

Booking Code: Raider Rally

bigjohn

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:22:15 PM »
sorry guys for not making some things clear about the 12" over front. there is another post '12"over front end' it clears some things up hey when i joined i warned that i would be pissing some people off. you can also can me poisen ivy....i irritate everyone i come in contact with.........it just comes natural..but i am having fun...how bout u? big john

bigjohn

« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:24:44 PM »
i love all the positive input....poo poo on the sarcastic naysayers, you get me going i love it. big john

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:39:15 PM »
You haven't pissed anyone off....some have just passed along some concern over the 12" over extensions...show us some pics of what you've done so far.
7th Annual SERR Maggie Valley lodging info

Best Western Mountainbrook Inn
828-926-3962

Microtel Inn & Suites
828-926-8554

Rate info:
$60.00 plus tax (Sunday-Thursday)
$85.00 plus tax (Friday Saturday)

Booking Code: Raider Rally

budaman

• Raider
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:59:49 PM »
I'm thinking he doesn't even have a bike, if so lets see it. O8O
2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

bigjohn

« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2012, 06:31:31 AM »
type in 'rigid industries' for those led air craft spot lights. there is one kind of led that the company makes that concentrates all of the lumens into a tight cone [what i call a pencil beam]. and even though the light is not as over all powerful as the others, it will draw less power.  its cheap  around $100, and is very compact [could easily be  hidden in triple tree area on the raider]. don't worry about a pencil beam not being wide enough, because when that pencil shines down the runway i'll be plenty wide enough. [check the distance and other charts, on the site]   sorry i can't put up as a 'link' . i don't know how. also check kurakyn phase 6 and phase 7 led headlight for the raider. the phase 6 draws about half of the stock raider bulb...and the phase 7 draws about half of the phase 6. more power for aux lighting and heated clothing, etc. and easier on the bikes alternator. SALUTE ...big john
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2012, 06:36:45 AM by bigjohn »

Budzo

• 2014 ROM Winner
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »
type in 'rigid industries' for those led air craft spot lights. there is one kind of led that the company makes that concentrates all of the lumens into a tight cone [what i call a pencil beam]. and even though the light is not as over all powerful as the others, it will draw less power.  its cheap  around $100, and is very compact [could easily be  hidden in triple tree area on the raider]. don't worry about a pencil beam not being wide enough, because when that pencil shines down the runway i'll be plenty wide enough. [check the distance and other charts, on the site]   sorry i can't put up as a 'link' . i don't know how. also check kurakyn phase 6 and phase 7 led headlight for the raider. the phase 6 draws about half of the stock raider bulb...and the phase 7 draws about half of the phase 6. more power for aux lighting and heated clothing, etc. and easier on the bikes alternator. SALUTE ...big john

The Raider needs a certain amount load on the generator or it makes some funky noises.  For an example, unplug your headlight bulb and start the bike.

aaryan

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2012, 02:55:01 PM »
Hi Guys
I was talking to the guys from seeger cycle, they make chopper front ends. They told me they could do a 12 in ext. on a raider for about 2 grand. Something to think about, and would like to do it myself but dont want to be the first to do it. They say it will have the correct trail and will handle as good as original. Also it should ride better because of the longer wheel base.
Seegercycle.com

Don

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »
Hi Guys
I was talking to the guys from seeger cycle, they make chopper front ends. They told me they could do a 12 in ext. on a raider for about 2 grand. Something to think about, and would like to do it myself but dont want to be the first to do it. They say it will have the correct trail and will handle as good as original. Also it should ride better because of the longer wheel base.
Seegercycle.com

Don

Are you talking an extension or an entire front end? I ask because 2 grand for an extension at any length is rediculously high.

budaman

• Raider
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »
need some more highly radical mod ideas for my raid. so far i'm extending the forks 12". got rid of the rear,lollipops and tag..[tag got mounted sideways to bottom of swing arm and no i haven't got any tickets yet].. found a site on line that sells led aircraft landing lights [yes there small enough to mount very inconspicuously to front end. 250 or 260 on a 8.5 rim...phase 7 headlight. nitrous from tejas. want to see if low and mean is really serious about a highly loud and radical pipe setup. need some front signals to replace front lollipops. thinking about running a thumbscrew right through the grip housing for cruise control [what? hey man i bought a softail in 88 that had this feature and it worked great]. lets see a little more chrome hear and there what do you guys think? any ideas? big john
Big John here is one of the mostr Radical Raiders on our forum http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=10673 check it out.
2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

bigjohn

« Reply #25 on: Nov 22, 2012, 08:05:01 PM »
here is a quick list of the "aluminum" parts on a raider. motor,heads,pistons,cylinders,wheels,fork tube caps,swing arm,wheels,horns,pulleys,trans.,frame, grip housings, oil tank, foot peg brackets, and hydraulic controls, and much more... it's not aluminum it's alloy...in the sixties we called it space age alloy. remember 'pot metal' on old bikes. that was alot of fun to polish. don't fear the person that can kill the body, but rather Him that can kill the body and cast the soul in hell...big john
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2012, 07:27:01 AM by bigjohn »

distantThunder

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:39:59 PM »
bigjogn, marcelm

the idea of extending the forks on the Raider to make it a stretched chopper has been kicked around for quite a while.  but as far as I know  - no-one has done it.  think thru the whole operation carefully before you go ahead.  there are pro's and con's to it - you've got some headaches to overcome as well as some possible "gains" in appearance.  hopefully you are not talking about putting 12-inch fork extenders on your bike.  that could be pretty dangerous. 

dT

marcelm

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2012, 05:00:47 AM »
bigjogn, marcelm

the idea of extending the forks on the Raider to make it a stretched chopper has been kicked around for quite a while.  but as far as I know  - no-one has done it.  think thru the whole operation carefully before you go ahead.  there are pro's and con's to it - you've got some headaches to overcome as well as some possible "gains" in appearance.  hopefully you are not talking about putting 12-inch fork extenders on your bike.  that could be pretty dangerous. 

dT

I'm not intending to do this mod. I have family, two kids at home ...:)
I have the 4 inch extension and I think is enough.
Furthermore , my rear is lowered and I have removed the original rear fender with a hand made one, which is welded on the swingarm and thinking that maybe the bike will look better w/o the extensions....
My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »
Sounds kinda unsafe If you dont know what your doin.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »
BigJohn- Since you've already received plenty of concerns about the 12" fork extensions from everyone (including me in another thread), I figure I'll ask about the thumb screw.  Why do this?  A 90 cent O-ring from Ace Hardware will accomplish the same thing and probably be less dangersous.  I started using one after Gostr8r posted up about them years ago and after running with it for most of my summer trip I have yet to remove it.