Author Topic: most radical raider mods  (Read 7367 times)

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Re: most radical raider mods
« Reply #30 on: Nov 26, 2012, 04:31:04 pm »
BigJohn- Since you've already received plenty of concerns about the 12" fork extensions from everyone (including me in another thread), I figure I'll ask about the thumb screw.  Why do this?  A 90 cent O-ring from Ace Hardware will accomplish the same thing and probably be less dangersous. I started using one after Gostr8r posted up about them years ago and after running with it for most of my summer trip I have yet to remove it.

Wheres the link to that post ? I typed in Ghostr8r 90 cent oring and its not pullin nothin up.

Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2012, 05:39:35 pm »
    BigJohn- Since you've already received plenty of concerns about the 12" fork extensions from everyone (including me in another thread), I figure I'll ask about the thumb screw.  Why do this?  A 90 cent O-ring from Ace Hardware will accomplish the same thing and probably be less dangersous. I started using one after Gostr8r posted up about them years ago and after running with it for most of my summer trip I have yet to remove it.

Wheres the link to that post ? I typed in Ghostr8r 90 cent oring and its not pullin nothin up.

I forget what he calls them.  He has some weird name for them. BTW, it's gostr8r. You're not going to find much the other way.

All you have to do is go into Ace Hardware and get an O-ring just large enough to slip over your throttle handle and butt up against the brake reservoir. The friction from the O-ring holds it in place.  It takes a little getting used to it.  Also make sure it's not too tight. The first one I bought was too tight and it scared the hell out of me because I didn't feel like I could release the throttle quick enough. 

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    « Reply #32 on: Nov 26, 2012, 05:41:44 pm »

Here you go: https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=11127.0

Ray calls it a Caterpillar Cruise Control.

• Advertisement

bigjohn

« Reply #33 on: Nov 26, 2012, 06:09:01 pm »
      for shits and giggles i'll loosen ALL the clamps on the trees, drop out the forks from the top tree and use only the bottom clamps to hold the forks...i'll take pics and take the bike for a ride to put aside what i believe to be nothing more than 'afraid of the unknown'. do you really think the forks will fold? or that the whole bottom of the tree will suddenly snap of the bike like an icecicle?   i don't understand how you can ride a motorcycle on public roads yet be afraid of a little mod like this. have you ever snapped a set of forks? have you ever known a friend or someone you know that has snapped a set of forks? i don't. big john

budaman

• Raider
      • Referrals: 10
      « Reply #34 on: Nov 26, 2012, 06:40:58 pm »
      for shits and giggles i'll loosen ALL the clamps on the trees, drop out the forks from the top tree and use only the bottom clamps to hold the forks...i'll take pics and take the bike for a ride to put aside what i believe to be nothing more than 'afraid of the unknown'. do you really think the forks will fold? or that the whole bottom of the tree will suddenly snap of the bike like an icecicle?   i don't understand how you can ride a motorcycle on public roads yet be afraid of a little mod like this. have you ever snapped a set of forks? have you ever known a friend or someone you know that has snapped a set of forks? i don't. big john
      Check this out Big John  https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=15338.0
      2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

silverstreak

« Reply #35 on: Nov 26, 2012, 06:55:04 pm »
      Check this out Big John  https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=15338.0

thanks buda, now you did it.  you resurrected the BEAST!!!

commence the argument now!  LOL

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #36 on: Nov 26, 2012, 07:17:19 pm »

I forget what he calls them.  He has some weird name for them. BTW, it's gostr8r. You're not going to find much the other way.

All you have to do is go into Ace Hardware and get an O-ring just large enough to slip over your throttle handle and butt up against the brake reservoir. The friction from the O-ring holds it in place.  It takes a little getting used to it.  Also make sure it's not too tight. The first one I bought was too tight and it scared the hell out of me because I didn't feel like I could release the throttle quick enough.

This wasn't completely accurate. It's butts up against the start switch housing, not the brake reservoir.  Sorry about that.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2012, 09:32:41 pm »

This wasn't completely accurate. It's butts up against the start switch housing, not the brake reservoir.  Sorry about that.
      ;D Sounds like its worth the  investment ;D  . If i dont like em . I can always use the 0 ring for the Pump on the rig 8) .
      I read you had trouble with yours you put oil on it . Or did you buy another ring ?

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #38 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:29:05 am »

;D Sounds like its worth the  investment ;D  . If i dont like em . I can always use the 0 ring for the Pump on the rig 8) .
      I read you had trouble with yours you put oil on it . Or did you buy another ring ?

I took it to my local Ace and the guy I regularly dealt with there just swapped it out for a different one.  I didn't even have the receipt on me. The new one is perfect, but I think I'm due for another as it's creating a lot of residue behind it.   

Definitely test it out in a controlled area because it can be a little weird getting used to it at first.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #39 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:40:06 am »
      Im gonna go today to get the catty cruise  ;D  . But will be in the cage beings its comein a flood here. :raining:   :banghead:  . .