Author Topic: Considering new Bars for 2010 Raider...need advice  (Read 3610 times)

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Considering new Bars for 2010 Raider...need advice
« on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:43:06 AM »
I'm looking to purchase the "Cruiser Performance VTX 1.25 inch Fatty Drag Bars for Raider" with these specs:
8 inch Risers
8 inches of Pullback
Top Handle Bar is- 33 inches wide

I would like to know if these bars will give me a taller rise and longer pull back than the stock Raider bars and risers. Right now, my reach is about an inch short of being able to completely lean back on my backrest pad, and it makes my shoulders get tired during a long ride. I would also like to use my current cables and hydraulic lines without switching to extended ones right away. If these bars will not give me the required rise and pullback, please let me know how much I would need.
Help! My 30 year old mind is trapped in a 68 year old body.

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Considering new Bars for 2010 Raider...need advice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:48:58 AM »
You may want to find some other distributor ... Cruiser Performance have given several members the round on shipping dates.

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:55:21 AM »
This is coming from Phat Performance Parts. They have a toll-free sales number I could call for in-stock information. I'm am mainly concerned with the rise and pullback info. If I have to, I can order something different elsewhere, but I have ordered from Phat previously and was satisfied with their delivery.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »
I'd go with LA Choppers.  Their 6-7" drags are almost like stock.  Their 9-9.5 give a nice pullback increase (I'm 5'10" and in the increased pullback of the 9.5" was perfect).  You'll also want to consider if you need new lines.  Some folks can keep the stock lines with 9" pull.  I had to replace my lines with 9.5" pullback only because of the clutch line.  Also don't forget to order your bolts.

Kick Logic To The Curb!

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2012, 11:53:45 AM »
Make sure Phat has them in stock because if they have to order you will be waiting months to get them.  I love Cruiser Performance bars and even ordered them for my bike.  Unfortunately the delivery company damaged them and the triple tree and they had to be reordered.  Two months later and many promises broken from them and I was lucky enough to get the last set Phat had with the 13" pull back or I would be going elsewhere to get bars.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2012, 01:47:53 PM by Bill L »

WilCon

• Search police and general nuisance.
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2012, 11:57:37 AM »
Suggestion. If the width of your bars are good and the angle of your hands is good as they are, I would suggest increasing the padding on your backrest to bring it to you. You should have some forward lean as rider to help support your upper body for comfort and to maintain control of a motorcycle. Maybe pad your seat to move you forward as well and bring you to the bar, and this would also bring you closer to the pegs and into a better body position.
The above post is strictly the opinion of the poster, disregard as necessary.

If the above post is in RED then it was a moderator talking, you should pay attention.

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »
I'm 6'2" tall and use 5" forward control extensions. With the stock bars and risers, I need about 1-2 more inch of pullback for it to feel comfortable to me. If I could find out what the total rise and pullback of the stock bars and risers are, I could find the right choice for bars.

silverstreak

Considering new Bars for 2010 Raider...need advice
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:08:37 PM »
dont get cruiser performance bars, even through a vendor. phat performance will drop you off with cruiser performance and you will be screwed.

case in point
http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=17661

good luck feeding the wires through too, cleaning of the holes will cut them to hell

fair warning
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2012, 02:11:10 PM by TOXIC »

MYRDR

• AZ Group
  • Raider
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
I'm 6'2" tall and use 5" forward control extensions. With the stock bars and risers, I need about 1-2 more inch of pullback for it to feel comfortable to me. If I could find out what the total rise and pullback of the stock bars and risers are, I could find the right choice for bars.

Total pull back including risers and bars is 11"  I got the 13" pullback from Cruiser Performance and the reach is perfect for me now.  But as already beaten to death, go elswhere other then Cruiser Performance.  They are no longer a reliable source for bars.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2012, 02:24:00 PM by Bill L »

Skullz

• Road Star
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »
I'd go with LA Choppers.  Their 6-7" drags are almost like stock.  Their 9-9.5 give a nice pullback increase (I'm 5'10" and in the increased pullback of the 9.5" was perfect).  You'll also want to consider if you need new lines.  Some folks can keep the stock lines with 9" pull.  I had to replace my lines with 9.5" pullback only because of the clutch line.  Also don't forget to order your bolts.

I actually bought the 9" La Choppers from another member and totally forgot about the bolts. Do you know what size is needed?

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
How about riser extensions? Instead of paying hundreds for bars and spending hours messing with the internal wiring, you could probably put these on in 30 minutes. There's a member running these-I can't remember who thiugh.

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?multicatlabel_id=81&multicatsublabel_id=305
Ken
2010 Raider/2008 FZ1

Enjoy your fun time, don't be concerned about others trying to do the same.
Apple: the Harley Davidson of computing.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »
dont get cruiser performance bars, even through a vendor. phat performance will drop you off with cruiser performance and you will be screwed.
What about Pacific Coast Star? These might fit the need.
1 1/2" Super Radius Sweep Bars
8" rise
9" pullback
33" width.
Fits with Yamaha Raider riser spreads
Brilliant Show Chrome
includes Mounting Bolts
Works with Raider Controls
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2012, 02:57:06 PM by bikertrsh »

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:52:38 PM »
How about riser extensions? Instead of paying hundreds for bars and spending hours messing with the internal wiring, you could probably put these on in 30 minutes. There's a member running these-I can't remember who thiugh.
Those are an interesting alternative, but I want to clean up the entire control area, and this seems to make it more cluttered instead of less.

kreed020

• Road Star
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »
Check out Pacific Coast Star. They have the bars you need. I just got mine and it only took a little over a week.

I bought the Carlini 1.5" super sweeps. The guys at PCS told me I would get just under an inch of rise and a couple inches of pullback. They recommended the +2 inch cables as well. Will post pix of new bars on bike Friday when I get it back from the shop.

1 1/2" Carlini Super Sweep Bars

Sold exclusively through Pacific Coast Star
9" rise
11" pullback
31 .5" width
1 1/2" thick tubing provides and incomparable style
Meticulously polished welds and show chromed to meet Carlini's standards

http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/yamaha_raider_drag_bars.htm

MYRDR

• AZ Group
  • Raider
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:56:30 PM »
What about Pacific Coast Star? These might fit the need.
1 1/2" Super Radius Sweep Bars
8" rise
9" pullback
33" width.
Fits with Yamaha Raider riser spreads
Brilliant Show Chrome
includes Mounting Bolts
Works with Raider Controls

PCS is a good vendor, I have used them several times, great products and customer service.