Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: Camshaft regrinding  (Read 843 times)

TBrain

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Camshaft regrinding
« on: Nov 24, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »
Hi Everyone; i guess i started this to see how many people would be interested in getting their cams reground or if possible have new cams made from scratch. like everything the more parts you have to have made the lower the cost per unit to a certain extent. My goal is to have our current stock cams reground to keep the lift the same but increase duration. there are pro's and con's to everything.

Pro's of increased duration and the same lift is that your current valve springs will continue to work, gross Horse power and gross torque will increase.

con's is that it is going to shift the rpm range higher than it is now, some loss of low range torque is possible. the rpm range will shift higher at least 500 rpm or possible more. higher RPM will be much harder on this long stroked motor so the life of the engine could be reduced.

i know enough about cams to be dangerous. i am always on the aggressive side when it comes to picking out things like duration. i have a target of 230 deg duration at .050 lift. thats a healthy lumpy running grind that i don't think will be to hard to deal with but should really wake this engine up. i am afraid it may be to much.

now with that out of the way i am on to my main goal. as i started to say at the beginning, more cams to grind will lower the cost per cam set. my goal is to see how many people are interested in getting their cams reground or new cams if possible. if there are a lot, then i will try to contact a cam company to see what they can to for us. when i have this info and if it is a go -  then i will post that you will need to send your cams to XXX Cam company by a certain date. I DO NOT WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYBODIES CAMS, that's why i will try to work out a predetermined date for the cams to show up at the cam grinders. if 100 cam sets show up we get the 100 pc price or what ever happens to be there. i will have to work out the details. what i need are to hear from some of you guys and see if there is enough interest to make this worthwhile. also if some of the more camshaft literate people would like to chime in on the duration that would be a good thing as well. i am a little afraid i will grab the 230 dur @ .050 and the rpm range will shift 1000 rpm or more and that would not be good. so if you think you would like to try and jump on the camshaft bandwagon plz reply to this thread with you interest and duration ideas.

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
Re: Camshaft regrinding
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »
You're a little late to the party. Crago Racing already has a proprietary grind for the Raider. Web Cams also has a less radical grind for the Stratoliner/Roadliner that will also work in the Raider.
Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

bigjohn

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2012, 07:22:05 PM »
the party has just begun on raider cams and all internal motor parts...and it's about time we had some real selection on stroker cranks rods pistons and cams...we also need more info and suppliers of n2o, superchargers, heads and every other friggin' thing on a raider just like any other motor in the hot rod world. and does anybody in this stinkin world split a rim besides matt. big john

ground pounder

• grgrgrgrgrgrrrrrrrraaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhghhhhh
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2012, 01:30:33 AM »
Paladin, can u post a website link for cargo racing. I googled them but find nada  :shrug:

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2012, 01:54:06 AM »
G P  Here is Crago Racing link,  I am thinking you googled Cargo Racing and that's why you couldn't find anything...  :o

http://www.cragoracing.com/index.php

A.T.

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2012, 05:48:46 AM »
I like TBrain's approach....qty for a better price. 

I'd be interested in more information as to the price of the service and price of new cams which are subsequently ground (as in I don't want to pull the cams from my bike).

So please pursue

zakattak

• To win raider of the year.....
  • DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2012, 12:10:39 PM »
+1 interested

08pwraider

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
I like TBrain's approach....qty for a better price. 

I'd be interested in more information as to the price of the service and price of new cams which are subsequently ground (as in I don't want to pull the cams from my bike).

So please pursue
not sure what new cams cost, but $630.00 for grind thru Crago.But  if you already know what grind you want Webcamshafts are in the upper $500.00 range.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2012, 07:38:41 PM by 08pwraider »
GO BIG OR GO HOME

ground pounder

• grgrgrgrgrgrrrrrrrraaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhghhhhh
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2012, 01:07:57 AM »
Thanks Bill L!