Custom Raider

Author Topic: VBulletin, Yes or No  (Read 1808 times)

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: VBulletin, Yes or No
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2012, 12:12:50 PM »
I went to the rebel forum...here's something that I didn't like about it....ads in the posts.

We start having ads in the posts...I'm outta here.

This site has been running since what, 2008 with minimal ads...why start now.  Its bad enough that the site has been under new management for the last year, with that management (not the mods) doing little to fix small problems we've repeatedly mentioned.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

michael t

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
The format can pretty much stay the way this board is . You don't have to have ads in the posts  or any ads. My boards have run for years off just donations .  I now have 2 member placed ads.  Both are  offed to my members  pretty cheap to help their small companys.  Most of changes will be behind  the curtain. Mods may need to learn a thing or to as will admin. But be very little if any changes  out front.
  Twice this year I have turned down  offers to buy mine . Nice offers I might add Could have bought a couple  Raiders with left over for mods. . Why didn't I sell Because I knew people that wanted to buy them we going to commercialize them.  That would ruin  the boards . Like here we pride on being a family .  Their are boards I no longer go to because of ads  down the side and across the top and bottom. Now they run ad about ever 5 th post in a thread. . Its about $$$$$ .
     The owners will decide in the end . Not US . V  will not change  much out front and for sure not the friendly people  .  It should make life a littler easlier for the admin and mods .  . If board becomes over ran with ads  blame the owner. Not the people that handel and watch over . That will happen no matter what program  run. 
[

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »
My worry is that i've been on numerous forums that have undergone such a change and the lost of threads, posts, pics, links, and messages were incredibly large even though the ownership and admins stated it we wouldn't lose anything.  It killed these forums and within a year or so after the change barely any of the old guard who were not moderators remained.  To me its not worth the risk.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

L.T.T.

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »
My worry is that i've been on numerous forums that have undergone such a change and the lost of threads, posts, pics, links, and messages were incredibly large even though the ownership and admins stated it we wouldn't lose anything.  It killed these forums and within a year or so after the change barely any of the old guard who were not moderators remained. 
Thats not always the case.. Our M109 forum went through this change a few years ago. Yes photos and threads were lost in the change over ,, did it kill the forum?, Hell no. We still remain the largest and best M109 forum to date and we are still a huge family like group.. and no, we have no scrolling ads for useless carp on the forum either. It's supported by a single retailer and a handfull of sub vendors which are members of the forum.
2004 ZX10R... Modded and sold
2007 GSXR 750... Modded and sold
2008 M109R-- Seriously modded and sold
2011 Ninja 1000-- modded and sold
2012 Raider S-- current ride

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2012, 02:48:19 PM »
The format can pretty much stay the way this board is . You don't have to have ads in the posts  or any ads. My boards have run for years off just donations .  I now have 2 member placed ads.  Both are  offed to my members  pretty cheap to help their small companys.  Most of changes will be behind  the curtain. Mods may need to learn a thing or to as will admin. But be very little if any changes  out front.
  Twice this year I have turned down  offers to buy mine . Nice offers I might add Could have bought a couple  Raiders with left over for mods. . Why didn't I sell Because I knew people that wanted to buy them we going to commercialize them.  That would ruin  the boards . Like here we pride on being a family .  Their are boards I no longer go to because of ads  down the side and across the top and bottom. Now they run ad about ever 5 th post in a thread. . Its about $$$$$ .
     The owners will decide in the end . Not US . V  will not change  much out front and for sure not the friendly people  .  It should make life a littler easlier for the admin and mods .  . If board becomes over ran with ads  blame the owner. Not the people that handel and watch over . That will happen no matter what program  run.

That's all good and well for your site, YOU own your site and only YOU can make any changes such as adding ads to it, the other sites I see that are not personally owned are plastered with ads and there is no doubt in my mind that it will happen too this site also.  Hell, it's already happening, we were told that an ad was going to be placed on the bottom of the page, now they are on top as well and I fear it is not going to stop there even if we don't change to VBulletin format.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2012, 03:09:50 PM »
My worry is that i've been on numerous forums that have undergone such a change and the lost of threads, posts, pics, links, and messages were incredibly large even though the ownership and admins stated it we wouldn't lose anything.  It killed these forums and within a year or so after the change barely any of the old guard who were not moderators remained. 
Thats not always the case.. Our M109 forum went through this change a few years ago. Yes photos and threads were lost in the change over ,, did it kill the forum?, Hell no. We still remain the largest and best M109 forum to date and we are still a huge family like group.. and no, we have no scrolling ads for useless carp on the forum either. It's supported by a single retailer and a handfull of sub vendors which are members of the forum.

Losing any threads, post, photos is unacceptable.  Significant contributions were made to the knowledge base of this site by people who of their choosing or not are no longer with the site.  If we lose that information we lose a part of our collective self.  Its not acceptable when the only reason offered for the change is to prevent spam.  Just stupid in my opinion.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »
I joined the Rebel forum to check it out - on our home page all active topics show - on their home page is a list of topics and you decide where you want to look - as for myself I like to see what people are talking about when they post it, if I decide to chime in I do or move to the next post.
If the RSR format stays the same as it is now maybe there won't be any problems...but if it's set up like the Rebel format then there may be a problem.

I'm also on the Stryker forum and they haven't said anything about making a change over there...and if this is being brought on by the spam attack then you would think they would have started over there first since it got blown out with spam.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2012, 03:49:13 PM by ROADKILL »

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2012, 03:58:37 PM »
I joined the Rebel forum to check it out - on our home page all active topics show - on their home page is a list of topics and you decide where you want to look - as for myself I like to see what people are talking about when they post it, if I decide to chime in I do or move to the next post.
If the RSR format stays the same as it is now maybe there won't be any problems...but if it's set up like the Rebel format then there may be a problem.

I'm also on the Stryker forum and they haven't said anything about making a change over there...and if this is being brought on by the spam attack then you would think they would have started over there first since it got blown out with spam.

To get the same page as our "Active Topics" click on "New Posts" on v bulletin. Honestly, I'm active on like 6 forums and no particular format deviates too much from any of the others.
Ken
2010 Raider
2008 FZ1

Words of Wisdom: Enjoy your fun time, don't be concerned about others trying to do the same.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater

L.T.T.

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2012, 04:11:41 PM »

Losing any threads, post, photos is unacceptable.  Significant contributions were made to the knowledge base of this site by people who of their choosing or not are no longer with the site.  If we lose that information we lose a part of our collective self.  Its not acceptable when the only reason offered for the change is to prevent spam.  Just stupid in my opinion.
Did anyone mention that this was being done just because of spam? . If so then I agree it's stupid.. I have been on many forum and many formats and have never seen spam like the stryker guys have. Thats just lack of attention in my eyes.
2004 ZX10R... Modded and sold
2007 GSXR 750... Modded and sold
2008 M109R-- Seriously modded and sold
2011 Ninja 1000-- modded and sold
2012 Raider S-- current ride

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2012, 04:13:18 PM »

Did anyone mention that this was being done just because of spam? . If so then I agree it's stupid.. I have been on many forum and many formats and have never seen spam like the stryker guys have. Thats just lack of attention in my eyes.

The reason of spam management was mentioned in another thread by one of the admins or mods.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Bird Man

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »
Can we buy the site ?
Don't worry, some people are their own punishment in life...

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:46:02 PM »
Can we buy the site ?

I doubt they would sell it but what a great idea.  I am sure it would require more then just buying the forum as is but I don't know what that would totally entail.

jhow2133

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:55:36 PM »
Can we buy the site ?

I doubt they would sell it but what a great idea.  I am sure it would require more then just buying the forum as is but I don't know what that would totally entail.
Or figure out a way to take our posts etc and start a new forum...
I have big plans...

ground pounder

• grgrgrgrgrgrrrrrrrraaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhghhhhh
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:43:33 AM »
If any posts, threads, HOW TO'S...... Get lost I would lose it!!!!!!!   :banghead:   :flame:
What a crime it would be to lose the wealth of knowledge we have built over the last 4+ years. ;) :umno: :fired:

PC-Raider

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2012, 01:31:08 AM »
I know it takes awhile to get used to something new but after browsing through the honda rebel forum I sure prefer our current format.  I vote leave it as is if at all possible.