Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: "USA" proud on a Yamaha?  (Read 3850 times)

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
"USA" proud on a Yamaha?
« on: Nov 26, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »
  I have a dilemma, and I'm sure some of you have had similar thoughts too.

I am a proud American, my company colors are Red, White and Blue, I display Old Glory at every location and I am not shy about letting others know.

I also ride a Yamaha.

You know, the one built in Japan.

If the Harley was as nice, well built and engineered and durable as the Yamaha, and sold for the same price I sure would have bought it. We all know that story.

Just because I ride a jap bike doesn't mean I'm anti-American, but i do want to get the best value for the dollar i spend, all the time.

I see guys on Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, etc... many time wearing apparel emblazoned with American flags, or "USA" or with very patriotic stuff on thier (jap) bikes all the time. Is that wrong?

I don't wear USA stuff when i'm riding the Raider, I would feel a little hypocritical to be honest.

Amy other opinions?
"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

Lrdofh8

• Road Star
    • View Profile
Re: "USA" proud on a Yamaha?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2012, 10:55:32 AM »
Yamaha makes, but you make it your own.  Therefore, its American  ;)

This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me facing the enemy.

Dudeman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:08:29 AM »
Not much is truly made in America anymore. We live in a global economy. My cousin owns a Sportster and needed a new starter. Come to find out the starter that goes on his bike is actually made by Honda. Sure, HD is an American company but they also use foreign companies to build some of thier parts. Are we less American because we purchase our motorcycles from a local dealer, probably owned by an American and that is staffed by Americans? The guys at the Yamaha dealership need to feed their kids too. If you go to WalMart (which I don't because I HATE that place) you are buying from an American company that has some of it's clothing lines made in foreign countries. So what does that mean? You aren't American because every dollar you spend doesn't go back into the US economy? That will never happen. Maybe 50 yrs. ago but not in this day and age.

I am a proud American... and a proud raider owner.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012, 11:11:14 AM by Dudeman »
Sent from my TRS-80 using BASIC

Deyv

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »
I bought mine used from a dealership that is American owned, so to me, even though the bike started out in japan, it's now american.  My purchase went to an American organization, therefore the bike, imo, is American paid.  Ride with Pride regardless!

Deyv
Non Clementia!
Non Captivus!

Lrdofh8

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
Im sure if we picked up every item, toy, electronic, etc in our homes, and tossed everything that had a "Made in China, Japan, or Mexico" stamped on it, we'd have some fairly bleak households.  I have a bike made in japan, are sound system made in japan, a tv and cell phone made in korea, and I love Mexican food.  Would I fight and die to defend the US of A? You bet your ass I would.

This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me facing the enemy.

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:28:19 AM »
What kind of car do you drive?
What brand of TV do you own?
Who makes your cell phone?

Point being.... I'm fairly certain that everything you own isn't Ameircan made.  As pointed out by Dudeman in an ealier post... we live in a global economy.   But take heart... the Raider was designed and built for the American market.   ;D

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:31:48 AM »
There isn't much of anything made completely in America.  Hell until Honda shut down its factory a year or two ago Honda Valkyries had more american parts than harleys.

Don't get hung up on the American made thing.  Smart buyers buy the best materials and designs within their means.  Unfortunately Made in America rarely represents the smart buy anymore.  Additionally I don't believe our American factory workforce exhibits the same dedication, focus and quality control when compared to the Japanese.  Its unfortunate but we as a workforce and society could truly learn a lot from their example.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:41:10 AM »
At this point, a stock Harley is made with about 60% American made parts. The more you modify your Raider, the more American made parts you add. At the moment, I'd say my Raider is built with about 40% American made, or American modified parts. 
Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »
I'm planning on my next license plate to have the American flag design.  I would have it now, but I had already registered for 2 years and when I went to the DMV to see what could be done I found out it's going to cost me $100 to swap it. So I'm waiting for the 2 years to be up first.

I also have flag patch on the back of my jacket. 

There's no way we can own everything made in America.

Morax

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:02:17 PM »
ok speaking from "american" legion rider point, i think maybe 3-4 out of 20 riders ride hardleys..  speaking for personal. i would look at it as  "Japanese by birth, american by choice" for our bikes...

michael t

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »
 This needs to be a patch  or a shirt

RAIDER  "Japanese by birth, american by choice"
[

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

Fj_Ohio

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »
I really don't think it matters any more. The generations to come won't care less about about these things. As a matter of fact you already have Japanese Harley clubs and forums. The trends are changing slowly but they are changing and nothing will stop it.
Ride what you are proud of and wear what you are proud of because you are American. If you don't someone else will.  8)
FJ

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2012, 01:22:44 PM »

Point being.... I'm fairly certain that everything you own isn't Ameircan made.  As pointed out by Dudeman in an ealier post... we live in a global economy.   But take heart... the Raider was designed and built for the American market.   ;D

I drive a Ford truck, made in USA.

My TV and phone and of course, all electronics come from Japan. But, I don't have US flags or pro-American decals stuck on them.

My original question was about dressing a jap bike up with American jingo garb...is that cool!
"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

jim

• Raider
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »
I don't have that Dilemma .... I'm Canadian   ;)

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong."

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »

I drive a Ford truck, made in USA.

My TV and phone and of course, all electronics come from Japan. But, I don't have US flags or pro-American decals stuck on them.

My original question was about dressing a jap bike up with American jingo garb...is that cool!

If you truely are a proud American... does it really matter what other people think about dressing a jap bike with American jingo garb?

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D