Custom Raider

Author Topic: Leaking clutch fluid...  (Read 6022 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
Leaking clutch fluid...
« on: Dec 02, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
I came home from shopping in the car and noticed a 2 foot stream of fluid coming from under my Raider.  It has no odor and a very light oiliness to it. So I go to check it out and pull in the clutch and the lever has no resistance at all, so obviously it's clutch.  I have my wife sit on the bike and raise it up level while I'm watching underneath and she pulls in the clutch lever and fluid starts dripping from the right side behind the exhaust on the engine.  I can't pinpoint what it's coming from.  I see no obvious clutch lines.

I've attached a picture showing the area where it's happening.  This is not a current picture.  Only meant to show location of the leak.

I've made no recent changes to my bike.

Any ideas???

Paladin

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Leaking clutch fluid...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2012, 06:32:22 PM »
It looks like you have a leak in your slave cylinder.
Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

jkimmel

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2012, 06:44:30 PM »
Didn't realize you were on a Harley?
The car guy

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »

+1.  Saw one on ebay the other day.  Make sure you wash the bike down...I think clutch fluid is corrosive.

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2012, 07:24:59 PM by Ares X »
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:14:07 PM »
I'm guessing this is not a repair I want to take on myself.  Any thoughts on how pricy this is going to be?

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »

+1.  Saw one on ebay the other day.  Make sure you wash the bike down...I think clutch fluid is corrosive.

Thanks!  I just went out and hosed it down real well.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:39:48 PM »
May be the boot  or a gasket or maybe the piston seal in the clutch release cylinder.  I havent had to do it though. It shouldnt be that hard to do if you have the tools and the time to do it. Looks like obviously youd have to take off the pipes,drain the brake fluid, unscrew th clutch line off th cylinder, Unscrew the 3 bolts holdin it on.  Then get to checkin it out if thats where its comeing from. Far as the cylinder is concerned . Their not but 6 parts to it. The boots, clutch release piston,the piston spring,bleed screw. And the obvious the clutch release itself.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

theurbanlegend

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »
Did you remove the big rubber boot to check if the banjo bolt was tight?It shouldn't loosen by itself but who knows,maybe some jealous HD owner wanted to make himself feel better.
The biggest mistake of my life was not buying a raider sooner

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:43:24 PM »
Most likely its just the boot in the very back. But if your going to just buy the whole clutch release or slave cylinder. Heres one cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-Yamaha-Raider-XV1900CU-Road-Star-Clutch-Slave-Cylinder-c2-/180956304523?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a21d6148b&vxp=mtr
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:43:58 PM »
I'm guessing this is not a repair I want to take on myself.  Any thoughts on how pricy this is going to be?
After looking at the parts diagram, it looks like the oil seal behind your slave cylinder has failed. The part #93109-08061-00. The cost is $8-$10. Since the slave cylinder is easy to get to, the labor cost shouldn't be all that bad. I'm thinking 1-1/2 Hrs. labor + the oil seal + clutch fluid. Total cost should be around $150-$200. If your pipes are blocking access to the slave cylinder, the labor will naturally be higher.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2012, 07:46:41 PM by Paladin »

Skidmark

• WARR Rider
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
The part is $8-$10. Since the slave cylinder is easy to get to, the labor cost shouldn't be all that bad. I'm thinking 1-1/2 Hrs. labor + the oil seal + clutch fluid. Total cost should be around $150-$200.

This is why i do all my own fixes, $150-$200 bill for an $8-$10 part ares im sorry but i cant recall how much labor you do on your own bike. you dont have to be a crazy good mechanic to fix this issue. If you know how to handle a wrench and bleed brakes you can fix this yourself.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
"Harley Davidsons have the unique ability to convert gasoline into noise without the side effect of horsepower...."

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
Dan,

If you do need a new slave cylinder (which I highly doubt), don't buy a used one. That's just looking for trouble. Using used hydraulic cylinders is never a good idea. A new slave cylinder will cost you about $100.00.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2012, 08:36:05 PM by Paladin »

Fj_Ohio

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:09:22 PM »
Dan,

If you do need a new slave cylinder (which I highly doubt), don't buy a used one. That's just looking for trouble. Using used hydraulic cylinders is never a good idea. I new slave cylinder will cost you about $100.00.
I Agree with this all the way!
FJ

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »
Dan,

If you do need a new slave cylinder (which I highly doubt), don't buy a used one. That's just looking for trouble. Using used hydraulic cylinders is never a good idea. I new slave cylinder will cost you about $100.00.
I Agree with this all the way!

Me too!  I'm not buying any used parts to put on my Raider. Not mechanical parts.

I may attempt this myself.  I just need to determine what all is involved.  I would need to add towing to the cost because I have no way to get my bike to the dealer.  Unless Progressive will cover the whole trip, which they just may.

All the dealers are closed tomorrow, so I'll be doing as much research as I can to see if this is something I feel comfortable with. It will probably mean removing the exhaust, which also means two more crush gaskets.

Man!  What a pain.

Thanks everyone for the info and feel free to keep it coming.

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »
I have AAA Premier RV/Motorcycle towing service. With this package, the first 100 Miles of any tow is included. It sure helped me, when out in the middle of bum fu*k Egypt, I gernaded my rear wheel bearings. If you don't have this coverage, now might be a good time to think about getting it, especially if you're planning to head to the Yellowstone for the 2013 WARR.