Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: Leaking clutch fluid...  (Read 5565 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Leaking clutch fluid...
« Reply #30 on: Dec 03, 2012, 12:01:30 PM »
Doesn't look like a difficult seal to fix.  I believe that the slave pushes out when you pull the clutch....if so, When you remove the slave, hold it away from your bike, push in the slave manually (if you don't you can ruin the slave...did this on a different bike ), then pull your clutch lever.  The slave should push out without ejecting fluid.  If so your slave is likely good.

Zoom- Not sure what you mean by push in the slave manually.  How do I do that?  As far as liquid goes, I'm not so sure there's any left in my bike.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 03, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »
I'd probably spend the $29 for the one on eBay. You can always rebuild yours when its off. I don't imagine this is a part that goes bad too frequently.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 03, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »
I'd probably spend the $29 for the one on eBay. You can always rebuild yours when its off. I don't imagine this is a part that goes bad too frequently.

Not sure I want to go with a used part.   Granted it probably has less miles on it than mine does, but I also have no idea what the history of it is.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 03, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »
Doesn't look like a difficult seal to fix.  I believe that the slave pushes out when you pull the clutch....if so, When you remove the slave, hold it away from your bike, push in the slave manually (if you don't you can ruin the slave...did this on a different bike ), then pull your clutch lever.  The slave should push out without ejecting fluid.  If so your slave is likely good.

Zoom- Not sure what you mean by push in the slave manually.  How do I do that?  As far as liquid goes, I'm not so sure there's any left in my bike.

I wrecked a different type of clutch slave (puller type) on the wife's xs when I did the hydraulic clutch conversion.  basically it pulled all the way in without anything to pull it back out (spring) so I pulled the clutch lever again and popped the seals in it.  I should have manually pulled it out before pulling the clutch again.  On the raider clutch slave it looks opposite to that.  like when the bike is running and the clutch lever released the clutch mech pushes the slave back in for you.  So if you removed it and pulled the clutch it would push out.  But if it was already pushed out on removal, there would be nothing to push it back in again.  Not sure but if you pulled the clutch again to build more pressure it could pop the slave seals.

I almost bought that one on ebay since it looks like it wouldn't be hard to add to an xs side cover.  Forgot to bid though.  I think the odds of this one being bad are pretty slim since it came from a wreck.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

sundancer87

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 03, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »
t84a- THANKS!!!

So I assume the seal to replace is #4 in the second diagram.

How am I able to determine if the cylinder body is okay to continue using?

The seal is what is leaking for the most part.  What happens is wear and even in Arizona a chilly night will cause them to shrink back and cause leakage and problems. 
Replace the boot as well because the brake fluid has touched it.  It's not designed to hold brake fluid so it will get mushy and won't have the power to keep the road crud out of the crucial parts.

Look inside the cylinder for scratches or pits.  You might find some dirt in there also.  If you don't have a hone that size some emery cloth will clean it up for you.

Treat the process of removal, repair and bleeding as you would if working on automotive brakes or clutches.  Be careful of the fluid, it's corrosive maybe.  These days eveything is soooo PC so it might be insect friendly.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 03, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »
t84a- THANKS!!!

The seal is what is leaking for the most part.  What happens is wear and even in Arizona a chilly night will cause them to shrink back and cause leakage and problems. 
Replace the boot as well because the brake fluid has touched it.  It's not designed to hold brake fluid so it will get mushy and won't have the power to keep the road crud out of the crucial parts.

Look inside the cylinder for scratches or pits.  You might find some dirt in there also.  If you don't have a hone that size some emery cloth will clean it up for you.

Treat the process of removal, repair and bleeding as you would if working on automotive brakes or clutches.  Be careful of the fluid, it's corrosive maybe.  These days eveything is soooo PC so it might be insect friendly.

I was wondering if I needed to replace the boot.

So if I were to pop this thing loose and decided I did not feel comfortable messing with it, it shouldn't cost me any extra for the dealer to replace it, right?  I can't see why it would.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 03, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
If its anything like the old automotive wheel cylinders, its a piece of cake. Maybe invest in one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-1120-Small-Cylinder/dp/B0035533GU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YsOgUCu7XU&sns=em
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2012, 04:26:40 PM by t84a »

sundancer87

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 03, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »
t84a- THANKS!!!

I was wondering if I needed to replace the boot.

So if I were to pop this thing loose and decided I did not feel comfortable messing with it, it shouldn't cost me any extra for the dealer to replace it, right?  I can't see why it would.

I'm sure you'll be surprised when you get it off and open.  It's simple stuff that even a cave man can do it.
The dealer sure can't charge you for the R&R so that's a cost saving there.  They may not have the repair parts and might even have to order a new cylinder.

I bet it's easier rebuilding the cylinder than it is removing the tail light assembly or the freaking turn signal flasher!

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 03, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »
So has anyone found the parts breakout online?

RangerRick

• Raider
    • View Profile
2009 Raider XV19CYS
ANG Member 25 years
Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Dec 03, 2012, 08:59:09 PM »
The seal is #30 on the parts diagram. As previously stated the part number is 93109-08061-00.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2012, 11:20:22 PM by Paladin »
Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:14:56 AM »
I don't think those parts on the drawing are the parts that go inside the slave cylinder. Those are part of the clutch.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:19:45 AM »
Have you decided that youve seen the parts . Are you goin to take it to dealer or o it yourself
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

RangerRick

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:32:11 AM »
I would just buy a new Unit if it was me. Would not even worry about repairing it :D
2009 Raider XV19CYS
ANG Member 25 years
Retired Aug. 1, 2010

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:12:19 AM »
I would just buy a new Unit if it was me. Would not even worry about repairing it :D

Agreed. I think PartShark wants $68. Don't forget new crush washers.