Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: Leaking clutch fluid...  (Read 5945 times)

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Leaking clutch fluid...
« Reply #60 on: Dec 04, 2012, 11:53:45 AM »
If your dont feel safe putting it on . You can always buy the part online . And then let them install it . May be cheaper that way being their not makeing money on the part. (But then they may try to drag around)
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Dec 04, 2012, 12:13:48 PM »
I thought all of the parts at PartsShark were ordered seperately.  The bolts are listed seperate from what they're calling a Push.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Dec 04, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »
So, I'm reading this thread and I apologize for being away for the past few months give or take but I have a couple questions if that's cool.

Have you duplicated the problem at your home with the bike on a stand?

Have you (and this is gonna sound super stupid) made sure the bleeder is tight and didn't wiggle loose?

The bike hasn't left my home since I discovered the leak. As far as I can tell the leak is coming from behind the Slave cylinder. It does not appear to be from the bleeder.

Matt St. John

• Come and get some.
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Dec 04, 2012, 12:22:52 PM »
You have a lift right? I would put it up on the lift and put some fluid in the clutch and see exactly what's going on with a flashlight et. I just don't want to see you buying parts without having an accurate idea of where it's coming from.

jkimmel

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Dec 04, 2012, 12:27:52 PM »
I thought all of the parts at PartsShark were ordered seperately.  The bolts are listed seperate from what they're calling a Push.

could be...but you can generally order all of the individual parts, but if you order the whole kit or part they are generally included. I'd be shocked if you got something like that without crush washers.
The car guy

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Dec 04, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »
You have a lift right? I would put it up on the lift and put some fluid in the clutch and see exactly what's going on with a flashlight et. I just don't want to see you buying parts without having an accurate idea of where it's coming from.

I had Desiree hold it level and I was with a flashlight watching it and it appears to be coming from behind the slave cylinder.  Originally I wasn't sure what the part was, but after going through this experience I've learned what the slave cylinder looks like.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Dec 04, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »

could be...but you can generally order all of the individual parts, but if you order the whole kit or part they are generally included. I'd be shocked if you got something like that without crush washers.

Anyone know of a good place to order the kit?  If the price is close, I'd just go that route.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Dec 04, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »
So the dealer got back to me and said the pipes will need to be removed and I'm looking at 1.5 - 2 hours labor. He's guessing at $240-$280 total.

He couldn't match the parts pricing at PartShark.com, but he said I can order them adn bring them in.

He said the two parts they replace are:
  • Push lever  1D7-16381-00-00
  • Oil seal  93109-08061-00

I think I may make a go at this myself. Worst case I order the parts and get it apart and if I get to a point where I don't feel comfortable, then I take it to them anyway and may save on labor since I have a lot of it done.  It doesn't sound too terribly hard to deal with.

I need to remember to order exhaust crush gaskets too.

Matt St. John

• Come and get some.
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Dec 04, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »
I think you can do it. I have faith.

silverstreek

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Dec 04, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »
So the dealer got back to me and said the pipes will need to be removed and I'm looking at 1.5 - 2 hours labor. He's guessing at $240-$280 total.

He couldn't match the parts pricing at PartShark.com, but he said I can order them adn bring them in.

He said the two parts they replace are:
  • Push lever  1D7-16381-00-00
  • Oil seal  93109-08061-00

I think I may make a go at this myself. Worst case I order the parts and get it apart and if I get to a point where I don't feel comfortable, then I take it to them anyway and may save on labor since I have a lot of it done.  It doesn't sound too terribly hard to deal with.

I need to remember to order exhaust crush gaskets too.

Ares, I have a saying I live by. If something is already broken, what is the worst you can do to it? Break is more? You will learn how things work and become more confident when making any repair because you'll gain experience. And, don't ever feel dumb. We all had to start somewhere, and we all didn't have this knowledge until we did the same thing you are about to do to your bike! I would suggest you buy a Yamaha repair manual. In it you will find helpful photos as well as locations of different parts.

When pulling everything apart, if you don't feel comfortable, take some digital photos of it as you go. Once you remove your exhaust I would check to see what and where it's leaking before removing and rebuilding the slave cylinder! It could be the hose where it goes into the slave is cut, or the nut is loose where the crush washers are? You can also get these crush washers at any auto parts store usually in the HELP  section if you can't get them immediately. The biggest issue is bleeding the fluid once you get everything back in place. I would also suggest you not reinstall the exhaust until you make sure there are no leaks, and the clutch works like it should. I'd hate to see you do extra work installing the pipes only to find out the bleeder is hard to get to because the pipes are in the way. Also make sure you have all painted surfaces covered and clear of any brake fluid. Brake fluid will eat paint  off in no time at all if you're not careful (you may already know this as I didn't read every post)

Please let us know how you made out?       PS, I may have a complete slave cylinder I purchased from a guy who totalled his Raider. I'd have to look, but if you need it? PM me and I'll check and see.

Good Luck,
Silverstreek
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2012, 05:35:38 PM by silverstreek »

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Dec 04, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »
V&H 2-1 easy job

Ken
2010 Raider
2008 FZ1

Words of Wisdom: Enjoy your fun time, don't be concerned about others trying to do the same.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:45:42 PM »
Looks like you may have decided to do it yourself...thought I'd contribute with some technical stuff - righty tighty - lefty loosey - always willing to help out when I can.

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »
Looks like you may have decided to do it yourself...thought I'd contribute with some technical stuff - righty tighty - lefty loosey - always willing to help out when I can.

... and here I thought it was lefty loosey - righty tighty....    ;D

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

silverstreek

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:39:04 AM »

... and here I thought it was lefty loosey - righty tighty....    ;D

Unless the threads are of the left hand verity? Then it's righty loosey-lefty tightie :o

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Dec 05, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »
Thanks all for the info and thanks to Raider Rick for the message I found at work this morning and to Paladin for the offer to help over the phone.

I plan to order these parts this morning and take a shot at it.  I have nothing to lose. If I can't do it, which I doubt since it seems pretty straight forward, then I just take the parts to the dealer to install.  I just need to check with PartShark because it looks like the orders take 5-8 days before they ship.  With a few days of shipping time on top of it, that could be quite the wait.