Author Topic: Leaking clutch fluid...  (Read 17807 times)

RedLineRick

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Leaking clutch fluid...
« Reply #75 on: Dec 05, 2012, 03:21:30 pm »
Dan, try http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/CLUTCH/MakeID/4/Make/Yamaha/YearID/51/Year/2010/ModelID/8722/Model/RAIDER_XV19CZR_XV19CZS_XV19CZCR_XV19CZCS/GroupID/421173/Group/CLUTCH.
I've ordered several parts from them and gotten good turn around. You might try giving them a call to see what shipping options they have to get them to you sooner. Don't forget to flush your clutch lines so you don't put dirty fluid in your new parts.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #76 on: Dec 05, 2012, 04:52:15 pm »
    Dan, try http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/CLUTCH/MakeID/4/Make/Yamaha/YearID/51/Year/2010/ModelID/8722/Model/RAIDER_XV19CZR_XV19CZS_XV19CZCR_XV19CZCS/GroupID/421173/Group/CLUTCH.
    I've ordered several parts from them and gotten good turn around. You might try giving them a call to see what shipping options they have to get them to you sooner. Don't forget to flush your clutch lines so you don't put dirty fluid in your new parts.

Actually SilverStreek is sending me the whole setup free of charge.

I can't thank everyone enough for all of the great advice, info and parts.  I have said it before and still mean it... I love this site and it's members.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    « Reply #77 on: Dec 05, 2012, 05:26:29 pm »
    Glad your gettin it . This sites people rocks.
    Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

• Advertisement

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #78 on: Dec 05, 2012, 05:46:51 pm »

I can't thank everyone enough for all of the great advice, info and parts.  I have said it before and still mean it... I love this site and it's members.

take pics if you can ... we can all learn

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #79 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:15:35 am »

:agree: Great Idea!

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #80 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:00:04 am »

:agree: Great Idea!

Yeah. I like that.  Will do what I can.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #81 on: Dec 08, 2012, 02:29:15 pm »
      Oh no!  I just realized I forgot to take pictures of pulling this apart. DAMN IT!!!

Taking it apart wasn't all that hard though. I do have pictures of the parts.

Here is a picture of all the seperate parts and another of the slave cylinder installed.  If you notice there's some dark scoring on the plunger piece. I tried to wipe it off with some alcohol and it would not come off.  I wonder if this is part of the reason for the leak.  There is matching scoring inside the cylinder. I really couldn't tell where the leak was coming from, but it defintely seemed to be from the back side, which makes me question the back seal.

SilverStreek- I haven't received your package yet. Is the seal on the back side of the slave cylinder included in what you sent me?  If not, I think I need to make sure I replace this.  All of this slid out together.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #82 on: Dec 08, 2012, 03:41:52 pm »
      Can you take another picture of the inside of the cylinder? What does the seal on ghe plunger look like?
      Ken
      2010 Raider/2008 FZ1 (sold)

RIP Tail dragger

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #83 on: Dec 08, 2012, 04:04:18 pm »
      Can you take another picture of the inside of the cylinder? What does the seal on ghe plunger look like?

I can get a picture of inside the cylinder in a bit.  The seal on the plunger is in the pic.  It's the black part,  It looks like it's a bit worn.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #84 on: Dec 08, 2012, 04:09:39 pm »
      The plunger is in pretty bad shape. I wonder if your heat in AZ has any affect.
      Ken
      2010 Raider/2008 FZ1 (sold)

RIP Tail dragger

silverstreek

• Road Star
      « Reply #85 on: Dec 08, 2012, 04:59:20 pm »
      Oh no!  I just realized I forgot to take pictures of pulling this apart. DAMN IT!!!

Taking it apart wasn't all that hard though. I do have pictures of the parts.

Here is a picture of all the seperate parts and another of the slave cylinder installed.  If you notice there's some dark scoring on the plunger piece. I tried to wipe it off with some alcohol and it would not come off.  I wonder if this is part of the reason for the leak.  There is matching scoring inside the cylinder. I really couldn't tell where the leak was coming from, but it defintely seemed to be from the back side, which makes me question the back seal.

SilverStreek- I haven't received your package yet. Is the seal on the back side of the slave cylinder included in what you sent me?  If not, I think I need to make sure I replace this.  All of this slid out together.

Dan,

The slave cylinder I sent you is one piece and all together. Not in pieces like you have pictured of the one you took off of your Raider. You can bolt the slave right up to the side cover your old one came out of. But, I don't remember if the slave I sent you had a rubber dust cover on the back of it or not? If not, all you should need to do is use the old one off of yours?

By the way. I agree wit T84a, the piston that came out of your slave housing is NASTY! From your picture, it looks like the piston was cocked at a slight angle as it moved in and out causing it to get scored? The slave cylinder may have been defective from the assembly line?

Hummmmm, this next piece of info? I'm trying to figure out how to explain it to you without confusing the hell out of you?

Looking at your pictures,  I'm reminded you'll need to make sure the alignment pins are in place when you bolt the replacement slave cylinder into place. There will be two of these circular pins (they look more like spacers two of the three mounting screws go through than alignment pins). Looking at the bottom photo of the two photos you took, you'll see one of these pins sticking out of the slave housing where one of the mounting holes for the screws are. The other alignment pin is missing per your photo, and might still be in the housing on the motorcycle where the slave cylinder housing came out, but you'll have to look? If you look at the back of the slave cylinder itself you'll notice a cut-out area where the alignment pin is missing. I bring this up because there can be only two mounting alignment pins. If the replacement part I sent you already has them mounted in it? You'll need to make sure the pins are removed on the engine side. If the part I sent you doesn't have these pins in place? You'll need to transfer your pins to it!   

When ready to put things back together, if you look at the photo on page 5 of this thread T84a supplied saying how easy this job is if you had the Vance&Hines 2 into 1 exhaust, you'll see how it bolts up! Just in-case you need to remember how things lined up?

The USPS told me this box with your parts should have gotten to you by today? The box I sent is small enough to fit into your mail box! I know I'm disappointed, but not as much as you are! Please let me know when you do get it............

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #86 on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:05:22 pm »
      Dan,
      with that scoring, I doubt that piston will be good again.  I had a rear brake caliper like that and no matter what we did it wouldn't work again.  Even after replacing the piston I still had to have the caliper honed to fix the damage.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #87 on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:55:06 pm »
      SilverStreek- I think I understand about the pins.  I'll check for the other pin inside the bike.  Any idea how to remove them from the old piece?  I don't want to damage them in the process.  Oh and I just checked the mail (it doesn't come until late afternoon) and it was there.  THANKS SO MUCH!!!   Will be installing tomorrow.

I'm guessing this thing is just worn out from a lot of use. 75,000+ miles is a lot of miles and then the AZ heat may have been a factor as well.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #88 on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:57:35 pm »
      Glad your going to be able to hop on your bike again for work next week ;D
      Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #89 on: Dec 08, 2012, 07:37:08 pm »
      Glad your going to be able to hop on your bike again for work next week ;D

If everything goes well.  In a way this is kind of like plumbing and I hate plumbing.