Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Leaking clutch fluid...  (Read 6260 times)

silverstreek

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Leaking clutch fluid...
« Reply #90 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:29:54 AM »
Glad your going to be able to hop on your bike again for work next week ;D

If everything goes well.  In a way this is kind of like plumbing and I hate plumbing.

The only thing I know about plumbing is, hot is on the laft, cold is on the right, and turds don't flow up-hill :o

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Dec 09, 2012, 08:13:10 AM »
Glad your going to be able to hop on your bike again for work next week ;D

If everything goes well.  In a way this is kind of like plumbing and I hate plumbing.
You and me both. I hate it. Sad thing. I think i am going to have to redo the plumbing in this house i just bought. :'(  Except for the septic. Its Brand new ;D
You going to do it today ?
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

sundancer87

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Dec 09, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »
Just a little tid bit from an old mechanic.  Before you put the slave on the bike you can bleed the excess air out of it on the bench.

If you have a vise put the slave in there and somehow fashion a source for brake fluid to feed the slave.  Simply bleed it on the bench, close the valve and reinstall on the scooter.  Minimum bleeding will now be needed and that should just be the line that has been standing open.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:24:59 PM »
Well, I want to THANK Everyone for all of the help on this project.  The information everyone gave me made it possible for me to do this with little headache.

I want to thank Paldin personally for offering up his number and allowing me to call him for assistance.  I didn't have to do it though since SilverStreek gave me step by step instructions in a number of PMs.

I want to especially thank SilverStreek for the guidance through this and for sending me the parts.  Total cost out of pocket for me was a little over $4 for some brake fluid.  I had some, but SilverStreek thought it would be a good idea to have unopened fluid and at $4, I'm not going to worry about it.  I think he may have paid more to ship the parts to me, than I ended up paying for the repair.  THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

I didn't end up completey removing the exhaust.  For some reason I could not get the front of it loose, so I just layed the pipes on top of my saddlebag and bungeed it so it wouldn't slip loose. I pulled the old alignment pin out with a needle nose pliers. It took a litle work, but eventually came out. I put the new piece in and tightened it all down and then replaced the banjo bolt. Then I bled the system.  I found a clear tube from one of my kids lung surgeries and cut it to about 12" and attached it to the bleeder nipple and watched all the bubbles come out.  I drained it into a beer bottle and was cracking up, so I had to get a picture of it.

You're all going to be mad, but I didn't realize until I had the slave cylinder back into place that I had forgotten to take pictures. So sorry.  I was just so concerned with everything working it slipped my mind.

I took it for a ride down the block and all seems to be good.  The real test will be tomorrow.  I already told my wife I may come back and tell her I need her bike, but I doubt it.

Afrer doing the repair I took it off the jack and set it on the kickstand and a bunch of fluid drained all over the floor.  I was ready to cry and then I realized it was fluide that had gathered on part of the frame that I could get to to wipe off and it drained off when I set it at an angle.  The slave cylinder was still dry.  I then washed and waxed my bike very thoroughly and did the same to my wife's Stryker since she was nice enough to let me use it all week. She was thrilled.

As I'm putting my Raider in the garage I almost blew the whole day.  I don't know what i was thinking, but I thought the kickstand was down and I got off and my bike fell to the left. It hit the engine guard, but only left a small scuff on the underside that is tough to see. I jacked up my arm, but the bike was fine.  Damn, I love those Lindby engine guards. I also foudn I can pick up a 750 pound bike.

Sorry for the lengthy rant. It's been a long day and everything is just spilling out.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:51:02 PM »
Way to go.  Now get to work on that virago   ;D
Kick Logic To The Curb!

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Dec 09, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »
Way to go, Dan. Do me a favor and cut that foil shield off.
Ken
2010 Raider
2008 FZ1

Words of Wisdom: Enjoy your fun time, don't be concerned about others trying to do the same.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater

Fj_Ohio

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:24:24 PM »
Good show and good job Ares considering what it was going to cost you to take it into the shop and have it done.   :thumbs:
FJ

silverstreek

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »
Glad you got it done. And glad we could all help out in some small way.

Just don't forget to dump the brake fluid back into an old container and get it out of the beer bottle. A beer can or bottle used for something other than what it was designed for brings back some not so precious memories of my friends dad. We all called him Pop. He always treated us like his own kids!

Thinking about this, it was his own fault!!! It seemed like every Friday and Saturday night we would all get together, build something, and consume lots of our favorite beverage (Schlitz Beer). As the night grew longer, ole Pop would start snatching the closest beer around, and suck it dry. If you didn't pay attention where you set yours down? It was gone!! Ole Pop the beer guzzler was at work thinking this was funny? Naturally we didn't see the humor in any of this! That is until he got a big mouth full of chewing tobacco spit from a Schlitz beer container someone used as a spit can! :o      I never realised a person could turn that many shades of green? ;D

The even funnier thing was. Rumor had it that it was my spit can? All I will say about the matter is.............. I don't recall! O8O

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:47:45 PM »
Glad you got it done. And glad we could all help out in some small way.

Just don't forget to dump the brake fluid back into an old container and get it out of the beer bottle. A beer can or bottle used for something other than what it was designed for brings back some not so precious memories of my friends dad. We all called him Pop. He always treated us like his own kids!

Thinking about this, it was his own fault!!! It seemed like every Friday and Saturday night we would all get together, build something, and consume lots of our favorite beverage (Schlitz Beer). As the night grew longer, ole Pop would start snatching the closest beer around, and suck it dry. If you didn't pay attention where you set yours down? It was gone!! Ole Pop the beer guzzler was at work thinking this was funny? Naturally we didn't see the humor in any of this! That is until he got a big mouth full of chewing tobacco spit from a Schlitz beer container someone used as a spit can! :o      I never realised a person could turn that many shades of green? ;D

The even funnier thing was. Rumor had it that it was my spit can? All I will say about the matter is.............. I don't recall! O8O

I've already disposed of the beer container and I left the tube in it just in case I grabbed by accident.  I wasn't drinking beers today anyway, but sports bottle was sitting close to it and I could see grabbing the wrong one by mistake. That's why I kept the tub inside.

I was afraid you were going to say he drank something far worse and died.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:48:34 PM »
Way to go, Dan. Do me a favor and cut that foil shield off.

I wont cut it off, but I meant to do something to cover it while the exhaust was moved, but ran out of time.

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Dec 09, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »
Gotta love this forum!

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Dec 09, 2012, 11:33:37 PM »
Congrats Dan, hope it all works out OK.

Pale_Rider

• Road Star
    • View Profile
Leaking clutch fluid...
« Reply #102 on: Dec 10, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »
Congrats Ares. Let us all know how it works out today. 
If you ain't riding, you ain't living.

Tail dragger

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:13:01 AM »
Dan, congratulations on getting it fixed and adding to your knowledge base.  Looking forward to seeing how it works out going to work today.  Think you will have a little better ride than if you were here (-7 degrees right now and snow and ice on the roads).  By the way, before I put a cover over that foil, I just taped off around it and spray painted it matte black.  It just sort of disappeared.  Might try that.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:40:05 AM »
Dan, congratulations on getting it fixed and adding to your knowledge base.  Looking forward to seeing how it works out going to work today.  Think you will have a little better ride than if you were here (-7 degrees right now and snow and ice on the roads).  By the way, before I put a cover over that foil, I just taped off around it and spray painted it matte black.  It just sort of disappeared.  Might try that.
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:  - 7 degrees. Its like 70 here. Been workin out just shorts and no shirt its so warm.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2012, 08:53:36 AM by Ares X »
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.