Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: No Power  (Read 1701 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
Re: No Power
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:18:43 AM »
I had this happen over a year ago.  It turned out the battery was dead because I had replaced one of the bolts to connect the cables to the battery with a non battery bolt and it was not able to recharge the battery properly. Apparently you can't just used any type of bolt. Not knowing what was going on I had it towed to the dealer and they charged the battery and replaced the bolt and all was good after that.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »
I put a voltage meter on the battery and the battery is good. When I turn on the key I am getting some kind of "clicking" noise around the battery area but no power.

Charge the battery, or better yet, go get a new one.  A static reading on a battery will read as good but when the load is applied a problem shows up, usually a bad cell.
My money's on needing a battery.
:agree: but you should take the battery out and have it tested before buying a new one - there's a guy on the Stryker forum having basicly the same issue with his brand new bike - bad battery.
MAGGIE VALLEY RIDES
http://mixs.ee/1xnr

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2012, 11:06:07 AM »
I had this happen over a year ago.  It turned out the battery was dead because I had replaced one of the bolts to connect the cables to the battery with a non battery bolt and it was not able to recharge the battery properly. Apparently you can't just used any type of bolt. Not knowing what was going on I had it towed to the dealer and they charged the battery and replaced the bolt and all was good after that.
Dont know . I lost a bolt out of my battery in my dirt bike. I found just a old piece of wire and wired the positive to the post. Ran like that for 2 years till the battery finally went out. Maybe yours wasnt a very good conductor ;D
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »
Dont know . I lost a bolt out of my battery in my dirt bike. I found just a old piece of wire and wired the positive to the post. Ran like that for 2 years till the battery finally went out. Maybe yours wasnt a very good conductor ;D

It wasn't.  I'm guessing your wire was copper. That would definitely work.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2012, 11:40:07 AM »
Yup copper stranded wire.  ;D
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

StrykerBilly

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »
Try jumping from a car(not running).  If it starts then you have a battery/charging issue.  If not then you have something else which could be a number of things from bad ignition switch to loose wire/bad starter.  Diagnosing that requires time, tools and knowledge of the electrical system.  You can also try push starting it.

If it starts you need to check the voltage with the bike running which should be around 14 volts.  There is a YouTube video showing how to test MC batteries and what the values should be for each stage.  You need to test 4 areas:
- Battery without ignition on
- Battery with ignition on
- Bike cranking but not running(I removed fuel pump fuse to do this part)
- Bike running

Good luck and let us know what it turns out to be.

mddrummer911

• 2014 ROM Winner
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »
I had similar problem first week after i bought mine.  the bolt that holds the wires to the battery were bad.  I dont know if its a bad parts problem, or if thats something that gets installed when they unpack and assemble the bike outof the crate.  I know the bikes dont have oil in them in the crate, might not have battery.  either way, on mine the bolt was stripped and wouldnt tighten down.  would work and then all of a sudden not...dealership replaced the battery problem solved. 
Life is ten percent what happens to you, and ninety percent how you respond to it. - Lou Holtz

troyle

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:15:41 PM »
Problem solved. When I connected the voltmeter to the battery it registered voltage. However, it was not able to produce enough amps to run anything. So it was dead. As soon as I got a new battery everything now runs fine.

69quadracer

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2012, 07:00:11 PM »
Good to here you got your problem solved

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:47:26 AM »
Glad you got this figured out.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2012, 08:58:37 AM by Ares X »

Dshrek49

• Dragon Raider
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:32:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I will call yamaha this week and see what they say.  I have a decent dealer nearby so I will contact him also.  The knock does go away quickly, and doesnt mak any noise once it is warm 8). :raider: