Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: factory-installed charger cables?  (Read 1444 times)

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
factory-installed charger cables?
« on: Dec 03, 2012, 05:45:37 AM »
I went digging under the seat yesterday, getting to the battery to install a battery-tender harness and I discovered that there is already a charging harness pre-insttalled from the factory! Awesome! Just another detail that makes this stand out in my mind. I'll bet Harleys don't come equipped like this..
"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

A.T.

• Raider
    • View Profile
Re: factory-installed charger cables?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2012, 05:54:40 AM »
Really?  I never knew that...gotta check that out

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2012, 06:57:02 AM »
hmmm ... what year is your bike?

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2012, 07:02:45 AM »
It's a 2010. I undid the plastic cover with the velcro that covers the bundle of wires that sits on top of the battery cover, and inside it was a battery charger harness already hooked to the battery terminals. At first I thought it may have been the auxilliary hook-up for the optional fog lights, but the leads go directly to the battery and nowhere else, so...
  I don't recall noticing that it was listed in the owner's manual, but nevertheless, there it is...

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2012, 07:03:13 AM »
I went digging under the seat yesterday, getting to the battery to install a battery-tender harness and I discovered that there is already a charging harness pre-insttalled from the factory! Awesome! Just another detail that makes this stand out in my mind. I'll bet Harleys don't come equipped like this..

Yeah they do... at least mine did, it was a 2011 Softail.

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2012, 07:11:19 AM »
Oh, well there you go. It's good these come pre-installed...makes hooking up the charger a breeze. I ride mine a lot, being as I live in Florida. The battery probably won't have much of a chance to sulfate like some of those do that sit for months freezing in a cold garage.
I have so many vehicles that don't get driven much...a garage full of battery tenders!

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2012, 07:19:39 AM »
Kit,

I'd guess your dealer installed it.
Ken
2010 Raider
2008 FZ1

Words of Wisdom: Enjoy your fun time, don't be concerned about others trying to do the same.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2012, 08:18:54 AM »
  I don't think so, this bike came directly out of the crate before I took delivery of it the next day. It wasn't sitting on the showroom or anything like that. The cable was very well folded up amongst all the other wires...all bundled together at one time it appears. Most certainly does not look like it was added after the fact.
It is also a fused connector, and the dust-cap inserted into the end of the charger cable has a white powdery coating on it like the rest of the connectors. (I assume it is a moisture barrier of some kind).

I'll bet that if some of you go digging in that bundle of wires you will find a charger cable hidden in there too!

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2012, 08:34:16 AM »
  The owners manual for my bike (2010 model) has a listing for a "auxilliary DC battery connector" with a 3.0 amp fuse. I think this may be what I found, and if so, then all Raiders should have them, right?

Silent_Mike

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:05:31 AM »
Sorry to steal your excitement, but that is not from the factory.  I never did spend much time doing set-up work at the dealers I worked at.  But I have pulled Raiders out of the crate and set them up myself (including my 2010).   I can't speak as to the 2012's or 13's but up to 2011 they didn't come with charger leads and I doubt they've started.  It's something your dealer did during the setup since they have to install the battery in anyway, they're right there why not.  Which is nice, I've worked for a shop that did this for every unit, and you're a testament to customer appreciation  :)

FYI, the auxiliary DC connector is the two pin connector under the seat with a red lead and a black lead that probably still has a dummy plug in it.  It's a factory convenience feature to easily access battery power for an accessory.
Mike

ding3k

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:33:18 AM »
That is not a battery change cable. It is so you can hook up any accessory nicely.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »
My dealer told me it was for a battery tender and I have one too.

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
Sorry to steal your excitement, but that is not from the factory.  I never did spend much time doing set-up work at the dealers I worked at.  But I have pulled Raiders out of the crate and set them up myself (including my 2010).   I can't speak as to the 2012's or 13's but up to 2011 they didn't come with charger leads and I doubt they've started.  It's something your dealer did during the setup since they have to install the battery in anyway, they're right there why not.  Which is nice, I've worked for a shop that did this for every unit, and you're a testament to customer appreciation  :)

FYI, the auxiliary DC connector is the two pin connector under the seat with a red lead and a black lead that probably still has a dummy plug in it.  It's a factory convenience feature to easily access battery power for an accessory.
Yes, the cable with the dummy plug is what I am talking about. I can see it may be useful for auxilliary equipment, but it hooks directly into a battery-tender too...fantastic!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2012, 06:43:55 PM »
I thought tht was for the aux light for that switch up top. But i did notice that when i was hooking up my cigarette lighter charger  to my battery for my gps.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »
It cant be for a switched accesory...it is wired ditectly to the battery, not switched.