Author Topic: Bike won't start  (Read 10294 times)

Mavrik21

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Bike won't start
« on: Dec 04, 2012, 05:36:52 pm »
I'm looking for some help (suggestions). I've been trying to do all my mods myself and with my last 'change'....my bike won't start. So here's what i did recently, I installed the integrated tail light (plug and play). Nothing more nothing less. I put my license plate on the side and ran a LED light to light up the license plate...I used the old wiring from the rear (what was lighting up the back license plate). When I turn the key on...everything lights up nicely (turn signals work - front and rear, the LED light is illuminated) but when I try to fire it up...NOTHING. No noise at all. Any thoughts on that one? Btw...battery is new. Help please.
Young riders need a destination....old riders just need a direction

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

113BadBoy

• V Star
    Re: Bike won't start
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:05:13 pm »
    Start with the obvious-kill switch off? Bike in neutral or kickstand up?

Mavrik21

• V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:46:11 pm »
    Badboy....thanks for replying....yes to all (neutral = check, kill switch = check, kickstand = check). I also checked all the fuses...didn't know if there was one that might have to do with starting the bike. Is there a chance that my starter is shot?

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:54:04 pm »
      Don't think its your starter - sounds like you did a lot of electircal work, if it was me I'd start looking there to see if something went to ground and drained the battery or you might have inadvertently disconnected something...is it possible that you shut the bike off without using the key and left it on?

Mavrik21

• V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:02:38 pm »
      Roadkill - I did do alot of wiring and that's what is worrying me. I always turn the bike off with the key. Never use the kill switch.
      When I turn the key to the 'on' position...everything lights up beautifully...all readouts are fine...fuel gauge, the readout on the speedometer shows my bright green neutral. When I hit the ignition...I hear a 'click' and then nothing. At that point - the green neutral light goes black BUT all my lights are on (turn signal lights and my LED light on the license plate). I guess I'm going to have to 'unwire' my what I thought was brillant thinking in running the LED through the old backlight harness. Painful.
      « Last Edit: Dec 05, 2012, 10:59:00 am by Mavrik21 »

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:04:13 pm »
      Charge your battery first before you start tearing into it.
      Ken
      2010 Raider/2008 FZ1 (sold)

RIP Tail dragger

Mavrik21

• V Star
      « Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:06:17 pm »
      Already bought a new battery today. Had my old one tested and they told me it only had two cells good.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:11:44 pm »
      Just because its new doesn't mean it's fully charged.
      Ken

RIP Tail dragger

Mavrik21

• V Star
      « Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:15:02 pm »
      Ken - never thought of that. I'm going to charge it now. Still....I feel like I should hear it trying to turn over even if it's not fully charged.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:15:38 pm »
      Already bought a new battery today. Had my old one tested and they told me it only had two cells good.
      Ok sounds like you found the problem...drop it in and see what happens....in your other post you said your headlight came on when you turned the key on are you sure....just saying the headlight shouldn't come on until the bike starts.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:18:21 pm »
      Ken - never thought of that. I'm going to charge it now. Still....I feel like I should hear it trying to turn over even if it's not fully charged.

Chances are you're right but it's worth a shot.
      Ken

RIP Tail dragger

Mavrik21

• V Star
      « Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:25:20 pm »
      Roadkill - my bad.....no headlights...just turnsignal lights, LED light for license plate, back light as well as all displays on speedometer. Charging battery just for shits and giggles...but I think it's a wiring issue which just plan sucks.

Mavrik21

• V Star
      « Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:49:02 pm »
      Battery charged....still nothing. Thanks to all for offering suggestions. I'm going to undo my creation and see if I can't trouble shoot what now seems the obvious = my wiring of the LED to the side license plate.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:53:02 pm »
      Check all your battery connections too. I just don't see how you could have caused this with the work you did.
      Ken

RIP Tail dragger

StrykerBilly

• Warrior
      « Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:12:08 pm »
      Check your fuses.  There is a separate one for the fuel pump on my Stryker.  It possible you dead shorted something while wiring your leds etc.

This is long and boring but be patient and start from the battery(like others said make sure connections are tight) and then work your way to the starter etc.  If you have the service manual all the better.

Be METHODICAL.  Don't rule out anything.  Remember the owners manual where they ask you if it is plugged in?  Silly stuff happens.  Case in point:  The new battery.  new yes.  proven no.  Take a reading and make sure within specs.  Replacement batteries can have bad cells.  Odd but it does happen.

Finally, and sadly, from my days in IT we had a saying LIFB (Last Installed First Blamed).  Rude, yes, true almost always.  Your additions shouldn't have caused this but you may have blown a fuse, inadvertently cut a wire(or wrong wire), jogged something lose etc.

Take your time, fix it, post it and then have a beer and laugh with the rest of us when you find it if it is your fault ;D
      In the end all that matters is to get back on the road.  4+ months for me due to weather here in Chicago :(