Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: Bike won't start  (Read 3221 times)

A.T.

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bike won't start
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:39:06 PM »
Battery charged....still nothing. Thanks to all for offering suggestions. I'm going to undo my creation and see if I can't trouble shoot what now seems the obvious = my wiring of the LED to the side license plate.

Check fuses....then disconnect the non-plug and play LED light and make sure its not grounded elsewhere...then try to start the bike. 

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2012, 10:16:22 AM »
I feel for you.  I hate electrical issues.

PhysicsDude55

• You see a motorcycle. I see a blank canvas.
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
    • My website of things I own and have created.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2012, 12:31:56 PM »
Might try pulling fuses 1 by 1 and see if it will crank.
260 Rear Tire, Freedom Curves exhaust, DIY BAK, DIY integrated turn signals, DIY sidemount plate.  More to come.

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »

Is there any fuse that could be blown that would allow the bike to start if you removed it? 

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2012, 01:05:40 PM »
Get this.  should only take you an hour to find your short.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

Kick Logic To The Curb!

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2012, 01:18:35 PM »
Trying to work out your time line of events - You did the electrical mods, did the bike run right after doing the mods? You mentioned a new battery in your first post, then you mentioned getting a new battery again in another post, are these both the same battery? Just for the heck of it I would have the new battery tested.

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2012, 01:21:54 PM »
Kickstand safety switch?
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2012, 01:57:18 PM »

Why would pulling fuses possibly make it crank?

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2012, 03:50:52 PM »
  You can waste a bunch of time guessing, or just follow some simple diagnostic checks and figure it out in about 1/2 hour. Get the shop manual and follow the flow chart...it will guide you to the problem.
"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

PhysicsDude55

• You see a motorcycle. I see a blank canvas.
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
    • My website of things I own and have created.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2012, 05:53:57 PM »
Someone had mentioned that it won't start if a short-circuit is detected.  Pulling the fuses will find the short.
260 Rear Tire, Freedom Curves exhaust, DIY BAK, DIY integrated turn signals, DIY sidemount plate.  More to come.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
If ya got some old wire layin around . Coat hangers old mess like that. Jump the circut instead of it goin through the kickstand. If ya went by the kill switch wire . May check it to make sure its got current flowin. Dont know where the solenoid is on the raider but cross it and see if itll turn over. If you dont have a multimeter. You can take apart a 12 volt dc toy and if it has a motor or light. Rip it out. use th two ends . Doubt its th starter but put one wire on the starter wire and one to the frame . If its th toy motor spins over or the light comes on thats what it is . But if not. May as well download the service manual and go through the steps. easiest to th hardest.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Mavrik21

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
I pulled all the fuses in the box on the pipe side. They all look good. I'm unaware of any other fuses. The guy i bought the bike from did not have the service manual. Just downloaded one from internet. The online manual is messes to be honest. Next nice day (this weekend)...I'm going to rewire the license plate LED light. The bike ran fine after I installed the integrated tail. It was only after my attempt at using the old taillight wiring for the LED light that she didn't run.
Young riders need a destination....old riders just need a direction

RaiderRick

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
Try unplugging all the tail end wiring at the plug under the seat and see if it will start, that will at least tell you if that's where the problem is before you start trying to rewire things.

silverstreek

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »
I'm looking for some help (suggestions). I've been trying to do all my mods myself and with my last 'change'....my bike won't start. So here's what i did recently, I installed the integrated tail light (plug and play). Nothing more nothing less. I put my license plate on the side and ran a LED light to light up the license plate...I used the old wiring from the rear (what was lighting up the back license plate). When I turn the key on...everything lights up nicely (turn signals work - front and rear, the LED light is illuminated) but when I try to fire it up...NOTHING. No noise at all. Any thoughts on that one? Btw...battery is new. Help please.

This may be a dumb question? I have to ask it though...... Is the transmission in neutral? Does the light on the speedo indicates that it is in neutral?

You said all of the fuses were good, and the lights all work except for the headlight (which only comes on after the engine has started). I looked at the fuses and wiring chart related to the work you've done and don't see anything indicating where a problem would be? It should crank and start?

When you turn the key on for the first time. Do you hear the fuel pump turn on, and look to see if the fuel indicator needle located on the speedo moves from empty to full, and then stopping at the correct fuel level you have. Please tell us if you checked this out and let us know what you've found? 

Mavrik21

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:16:44 PM »
When you turn the key on for the first time. Do you hear the fuel pump turn on, and look to see if the fuel indicator needle located on the speedo moves from empty to full, and then stopping at the correct fuel level you have. Please tell us if you checked this out and let us know what you've found?
[/quote]

Silverstreek - - yeah the bike is def in neutral, I do see the green neutral light on. Also, I hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key and the fuel needle does it's dance and shows the correct fuel amount. When I hit the ignition ...I hear a 'click' then nothing.
Young riders need a destination....old riders just need a direction