Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: Bike won't start  (Read 2793 times)

firer8r

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bike won't start
« Reply #30 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »
Someonw correct me if I am wrong, but maybe like in the old chevy engines if the bendix on the starter is bad, the click you hear is the power to the bendix to kick out the gear.  Rather than the gear engaging, it is hanging up, thereby not engaging the flywheel and spinning.  Don't know for shure, but could be a bad starter????   

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »
Put the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear and rock it back and forth a couple of times. Then, try and start. I believe the click you're hearing is the soleniod trying to engage the starter.
Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

silverstreek

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:17:01 AM »
When you turn the key on for the first time. Do you hear the fuel pump turn on, and look to see if the fuel indicator needle located on the speedo moves from empty to full, and then stopping at the correct fuel level you have. Please tell us if you checked this out and let us know what you've found?

Silverstreek - - yeah the bike is def in neutral, I do see the green neutral light on. Also, I hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key and the fuel needle does it's dance and shows the correct fuel amount. When I hit the ignition ...I hear a 'click' then nothing.
[/quote]

Have you tried what firer8r and Paladin suggested? They were great suggestions, and may be your problem?

I know others have suggested this before. But, by any chance when the battery was replaced, did you loose a ground wire that should be bolted to the frame there or anywhere else when you did the electrical work? Could there possibly be a loose ground wire that may have been removed and not re-tightened? I'd check for a loose ground at the battery and/or starter. Check where the ground wires are bolted to the frame to make sure the wire isn't loose, or hasn't pulled loose from the crimped fitting?

If the grounds look good? Check the MAIN 50 amp number 4 fuse isn't partially blown? If partially blown, that fuse may work, but won't supply the needed amps to a circuit like what is needed to crank the starter. In other words, a partially blown main fuse can't allow the needed amps to a particular circuit acting the same way as a weak battery would. This could account for the click you're hearing? Enough amps to engage the starter, but not enough to turn it? For giggles I'd stick a new 50 amp Main fuse in there just to make sure. I've been involved in cases where the fuse looks good, but doesn't carry the needed amps. It has happened!

Even though this has been discussed at great length. All motorcycle batteries do not come fully charged when purchased. The new owner needs to trickle charge (1-2 amps max) for 24 hours before use. A motorcycle can and often does start, run, and charge even if the battery was never correctly charged for 24 hours. That battery will only have a (what is called in the industry) a surface charge. Because the Raider has such a large engine, it does require many amps to crank it over. Any new battery needs a slow and low amp 24 hour deep charge for the battery to do what it needs to do. In the end, the battery will last much longer than one with a surface charge.

During the electrical work. Did you replace any bulbs? If so, go back and check to make sure the bulbs used are of the same base as the stock bulbs. Look to see even though the bulb may have fit into the stock base. Be sure the new bulb, and the stock bulb have the same amount of contacts on the bottom? I've seen times where a single contact bulb was inserted into a double contact base.

I did read this great suggestion by someone. Un-hook the plug and play unit to see if the engine will crank?

Try to remember the KISs theory (Keep It Simple) when trouble-shooting! You may find something simple right off of the top?   ;)     

theurbanlegend

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »
Silverstreek - - yeah the bike is def in neutral, I do see the green neutral light on. Also, I hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key and the fuel needle does it's dance and shows the correct fuel amount. When I hit the ignition ...I hear a 'click' then nothing.
If it's a loud click at the engine,I would try Paladin's suggestion.
If it's a light click under the seat,I would look at the starter relay (on the oil tank side of the battery).Maybe you have a bad connection after playing with your electrical circuit.
The biggest mistake of my life was not buying a raider sooner

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
There's not enough power going thruough the wire going to the LED on the tag bracket...I think you need to have the new battery tested...it could also be possible your starter switch is bad.
Microtel Inn and Suites Maggie Valley
3777 U.S. 19, Maggie Valley, NC ‎
(828) 926-8554       Booking code: "Raider Rally"

Mavrik21

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »
All,

Thank you all for your time and guidance (as a new DIYer - it's frustrating not knowing what's going on..or what I did to set things off). It's going to be 60 here in DE today so as soon as the kids go down for their nap - I'm going to get at it. The click is under the seat so I'm going to check that starter relay...as well as unplugging my work and seeing that sets things straight, checking grounds, and fuses (again). I have my check-off list...

Young riders need a destination....old riders just need a direction

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »
All,

Thank you all for your time and guidance (as a new DIYer - it's frustrating not knowing what's going on..or what I did to set things off). It's going to be 60 here in DE today so as soon as the kids go down for their nap - I'm going to get at it. The click is under the seat so I'm going to check that starter relay...as well as unplugging my work and seeing that sets things straight, checking grounds, and fuses (again). I have my check-off list...

With the starter one thing you can do is jump the starter.  Basically take and connect the post on the starter relay that goes to the battery directly to the post that goes to the starter.  Use a small jumper cable to do this since there is a big draw.  If your bike turns over then your starter relay(aka Solinoid)) is the problem.  Not sure how much they are but I know there was a used one on ebay a little while back for around $25.  i had a starter relay go out like this on a different bike.  Easy fix.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Fj_Ohio

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2012, 12:30:31 PM »
All,

With the starter one thing you can do is jump the starter.  Basically take and connect the post on the starter relay that goes to the battery directly to the post that goes to the starter.  Use a small jumper cable to do this since there is a big draw.  If your bike turns over then your starter relay(aka Solinoid)) is the problem.  Not sure how much they are but I know there was a used one on ebay a little while back for around $25.  i had a starter relay go out like this on a different bike.  Easy fix.
May want to make sure the scoot is in neutral before trying this,  right Capt.
FJ

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »
All,

Definitely...I meant to add that at the end and forgot.  :o
Thx
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »
All,

Definitely...I meant to add that at the end and forgot.  :o
Thx

If not it may just decide it wants go go riding . Solo ;D ;D
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

silverstreek

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Dec 10, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
All,

Did you get your baby fixed?

Mavrik21

• V Star
    • View Profile
Re: Bike won't start (UPDATE)
« Reply #41 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:40:12 PM »
All,

Again, I want to thank everyone for their input. I grew up on Hondas...but I am super happy to be apart of the Yamaha family. You all are an amazing network of information, advice, patience and support. My issue was a loose ground wire. Kinda embarrassing but whatever. Live and learn. Plus - my wiring, using the old housing from the back tail light, is solid.

I hope everyone has a great week....gotta tell you all, there was nothing like hearing that engine turn over. My 4 year old son and I were jumping like two kids Christmas morning.
Young riders need a destination....old riders just need a direction

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:58:20 PM »
Glad you got it going....this place is a plethora of eclectic knowledge
Microtel Inn and Suites Maggie Valley
3777 U.S. 19, Maggie Valley, NC ‎
(828) 926-8554       Booking code: "Raider Rally"

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 10, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »
Glad you got it going....this place is a plethora of eclectic knowledge

I see someone bought you a dictionary for Christmas...   :rotfl: :poke:

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:00:09 AM »
Very cool!!!  Glad you got it running again.