Custom Raider

Author Topic: Factory Tires  (Read 1494 times)

Jeremy

• Ride to Live, Live to Ride
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Factory Tires
« on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:08:41 AM »
Here is why I will not be buying the tires that are currently on my bike, I will go with Avons. 

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Pale_Rider

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Factory Tires
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:28:34 AM »
How many miles do they have?   I've been planning on getting the Avons at some point myself.  I'm just wondering when is the latest I should make the switch.  My bike is still new though. 
If you ain't riding, you ain't living.

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Factory Tires
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:30:35 AM »
How many miles do they have?   I've been planning on getting the Avons at some point myself.  I'm just wondering when is the latest I should make the switch.  My bike is still new though.

I switched out my rear at about 30000km ... just switched out my front this year - about 34000km

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »
Yep definately time to upgrade to a Avon ;D

2015 WEST CENTRAL RAIDER RALLY
Black Hills SD Area-June 11-15, 2015
Check out the WCRR website for more information.
http://westcentralraiderrally.com

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
Wow, Jeremy, how old is that tire?  If it's new I am sure glad I went with Avon out of the box.

Pale_Rider

• Road Star
    • View Profile
Factory Tires
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »

I switched out my rear at about 30000km ... just switched out my front this year - about 34000km

Ok thanks.  I still have plenty of miles to go.  I'll probably change out soon anyway. With all I've heard about the stock tire, I don't want to keep it on there too long.
If you ain't riding, you ain't living.

bIKEr42lue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »

Ok thanks.  I still have plenty of miles to go.  I'll probably change out soon anyway. With all I've heard about the stock tire, I don't want to keep it on there too long.

So, 30K km would be a little over 18k miles, right? Wow! What's your secret, Dread? My rear was about completely shot after 9.5k.

Pale_Rider, I would recommend checking your tire at 8k like the manual says and see how it looks and feels. There are a lot of varying distances on tires between various RSR members. Most seem to be going out around 8-9k, but some work magic and get a lot more.
Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive.

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »

So, 30K km would be a little over 18k miles, right? Wow! What's your secret, Dread? My rear was about completely shot after 9.5k.

Pale_Rider, I would recommend checking your tire at 8k like the manual says and see how it looks and feels. There are a lot of varying distances on tires between various RSR members. Most seem to be going out around 8-9k, but some work magic and get a lot more.

30000km = 18641mi 238.83yd   Let's not forget the 238.83 yards.   ;D
Dread's secret?   That's easy... alzheimer's.   :rotfl:

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »

30000km = 18641mi 238.83yd   Let's not forget the 238.83 yards.   ;D
Dread's secret?   That's easy... alzheimer's.   :rotfl:

Thanks for the proper conversion T, flipping my yard stick end over end was gonna take a while...  :o

mddrummer911

• 2014 ROM Winner
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »
wow, I only got 3,500 miles out of my factory rear before it was completely flat in the center.
Life is ten percent what happens to you, and ninety percent how you respond to it. - Lou Holtz

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:12:02 PM »

;D With that sorry metz we get stock on our bikes. Its sure not as many as you would think. The avons a much better tire. In my opinion.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »

Factory freak  ;D  ;D

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:01:18 AM »
  I have been restoring collector cars for years, and have become quite aware of tire dry rotting issues from storing cars that are driven rarely. Here are some facts about tires some are not aware of.

1) All tires have a "blooming agent" that is part of the rubber formula used in the construction. As the tire is used and flexed, the blooming agent works its way slowly from the inside of the rubber to the surface, to help forestall and prevent dry-rotting. If a tire is not cleaned regularly, this blooming agent can show up on the sidewalls as a sticky brownish-colored substance. Typically, by the time blooming agent is gone, the tire would be worn out and not useable anyway.

2) Cars (or bikes) that are stored and not driven regularly do not have a consistent opportunity to "bloom" and therefore suffer more frequent dry-rotting.

3) And to compound matters, cars (or bikes) that are stored in garages typically are close to A/C units, whose electric fan motors create ozone (o3). Ozone is one of the worst compounds that attack rubber components on any vehicle, and the build-up of ozone in a closed space (the garage) causes further dry-rotting to rubber tires. (and window trim and bumper guards)

Drive the vehicle regularly if you can (5-10 miles a week is enough), and try not to park too close to any electric motors in your garage.
Also, even though not outdoors in the sun, a good coating of rubber/ vinyl protectant on all exposed surfaces is a good idea even if in the garage.
"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:03:23 AM »
I ran Metzlers on my HD pretty exclusively. I have no problems with Metzlers.
Ken
2010 Raider
2008 FZ1

Words of Wisdom: Enjoy your fun time, don't be concerned about others trying to do the same.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater

bIKEr42lue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »
I ran Metzlers on my HD pretty exclusively. I have no problems with Metzlers.

I still have the factory Metz front tire on mine and I almost have 14K on it with tread to spare. Haven't had any problems, so I don't dislike it. The rear did well for me up unitl 8k, but I was lazy and waited another 1.5k till I changed it. I didn't mind the factory rear, but the Avon 240 is just better.

Plus, with HD's it's hard to notice the difference in tire quality with the lack of quality in the rest of the bike.  ;D  :poke:  :lbh:
Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive.