Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: Roadliner Backrest On a Raider  (Read 856 times)

HallGuy

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Roadliner Backrest On a Raider
« on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Has anyone tried using a roadliner backrest on a Raider?  I realize the fender holes are slightly different, but could new holes be drilled to make it fit.

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
    • View Profile
Re: Roadliner Backrest On a Raider
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »
Is there a version of a Roadliner backrest that isn't available for the Raider?

I'm not aware of anyone who has done that.

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

HallGuy

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:58:14 AM »
There are some used roadliner backrests available at reasonable cost, just wondering if I could make them work on my Raider.

bIKEr42lue

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:28:47 AM »
There are some used roadliner backrests available at reasonable cost, just wondering if I could make them work on my Raider.

Just about anything can be modified to fit the Raider. But I would think about the width of the fender first, before worrying about the fender strut holes. I'm not certain, but I think the Raider's rear fender is wider than the 'liner's. A good one to ask would be Gnuschke http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?action=profile;u=3831. He put a Roadliner fender on his Raider. Also there's danscott1075 http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1549. He has a Roadliner that he has done some Raider mods to.
Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »
Is he asking about the rider's backrest or the passenger's?

If it's the passenger's, I would be concerned with drilling new holes in the fender only because they wont have the support of the fender struts.

bIKEr42lue

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:40:29 AM »
Is he asking about the rider's backrest or the passenger's?

If it's the passenger's, I would be concerned with drilling new holes in the fender only because they wont have the support of the fender struts.

I assumed he was talking about the sissybar backrest. And if the mounting bracket holes are the issue, holes can be drilled into the sissybar bracket to match the fender struts. Good point, Dan.  :cheers:

In addition to the support issue, once you drill holes in anything they're there forever. Best to modify the cheaper of the two components: that being the mounting bracket for the sissybar.
Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive.

HallGuy

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:40:59 AM »
Its the passengers backrest I'm referrring too.

You'd have to drill new holes in the backrest mount, not the fender.  Guys seem to swap roadliner and raider fenders so I'm thinking they are the same width.  I did find some real nice backrests for the roadliner that aren't available for the Raider, just wondering if anyone has ever tried modifying them to fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XV1900-ROADLINER-ARCH-BACKREST-SISSYBAR-Highway-Hawk-522-3048-/110782300837?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19cb23c2a5

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:42:27 AM »
Its the passengers backrest I'm referrring too.

You'd have to drill new holes in the backrest mount, not the fender.  Guys seem to swap roadliner and raider fenders so I'm thinking they are the same width.  I did find some real nice backrests for the roadliner that aren't available for the Raider, just wondering if anyone has ever tried modifying them to fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XV1900-ROADLINER-ARCH-BACKREST-SISSYBAR-Highway-Hawk-522-3048-/110782300837?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19cb23c2a5

Okay.  That makes more sense.