Raider Patches

Author Topic: Speedo face ??  (Read 868 times)

vsr

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Speedo face ??
« on: Dec 07, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »
Hay guys can someone help me out ? I want to change out my speedo face but I don't want to run into issues with the speedo not reading the correct MPH after I reinstall it. Is there any thing I need to no to make sure that this doesn't happen? Thanks for any help.

A.T.

• Raider
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo face ??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2012, 07:37:21 PM »

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:25:16 PM »
Considering it's not accurate from the factory, I don't think there'sa lot to lose.  Each time I changed mine out it took a couple of times adjusting the needle.  Now I'm within 2-3 mph of accuracy.

Hoser

• Hoser
  • 2012 ROM Winner
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:39:46 PM »
I changed my speedo face out 3 times and was happy to hear I was only off by 12mph, always wondered why everyone else was going so much slower?
I had a guy drive beside me and I would signal my changes from 35mph to 70mph and it was only after doing that did I determine how far out I was, I didn't try to calibrate the speedo again i just adjust my speed accordingly.
Cheers

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:51:20 PM »
Look up the original webslinger thread from years ago.  '08 or  '09 I think.  Full instructions and tips there to get you just where your needle need to be during reinstall.  Everything reads exact now after I did it...tested with GPS

Never understood why motorcycle manufacturers can get away with speedo's being 10% off (the industry standard).  You're just asking for tickets if you don't correct it.  Keep in mind you can also correct it by changing your rear tire.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2012, 07:43:52 AM »
Make sure you turn the key on and let everything cycle thru before putting the needle on.

2015 WEST CENTRAL RAIDER RALLY
Black Hills SD Area-June 11-15, 2015
Check out the WCRR website for more information.
http://westcentralraiderrally.com

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2012, 07:59:31 AM »
Make sure you turn the key on and let everything cycle thru before putting the needle on.
+1
Kick Logic To The Curb!

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »
Plug it back in and turn the key on.  Put the speed needle in pointing at zero.  Put the fuel needle in pointing at E withthe key off. 

Now tape the assembly to the tank, go for ride and check your speed with a gps or other car (note that the car's speedo may be off a few mph, too).  Make adjustments if needed and the mount it perminantly. 

Fj_Ohio

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2012, 12:22:02 PM »
In addition to all the great advice already given here you may also want to watch some of the installation tips from the Low and mean instruction video.
http://www.lowandmean.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypagelm.tpl&product_id=109&category_id=33&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=60
FJ

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2012, 07:10:11 PM »
Plug it back in and turn the key on.  Put the speed needle in pointing at zero.  Put the fuel needle in pointing at E withthe key off. 

Now tape the assembly to the tank, go for ride and check your speed with a gps or other car (note that the car's speedo may be off a few mph, too).  Make adjustments if needed and the mount it perminantly. 
Can you fix your gas tank needle somehow like that. Mine when i fill it slam full . It goes past the F mark
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2012, 11:18:39 PM »

Can you fix your gas tank needle somehow like that. Mine when i fill it slam full . It goes past the F mark
Mine goes past the full mark, too.  I'm OK with that.  I want it "calibrated" for an empty tank.  The darn thing is pretty inaccurate any way you slice it. 

Tail dragger

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »
I'm pretty lucky on my fuel gauge.  Seems each mark is pretty close to a gallon (give or take 1/10 or two).