Author Topic: Winter and Summer Gas in our Raiders ?  (Read 2070 times)

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Winter and Summer Gas in our Raiders ?
« on: Dec 08, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »
I have heard winter and summer gas. Whats the difference in them. And me and my buddy has both went down in our mpgs since summer. And should we be putting some type additive in them durin winter time ?
Do our raiders normally go down some during winter or is mine just because i have more clothes on causin so much drag.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Winter and Summer Gas in our Raiders ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2012, 09:53:06 PM »
I have heard winter and summer gas. Whats the difference in them. And me and my buddy has both went down in our mpgs since summer. And should we be putting some type additive in them durin winter time ?
Do our raiders normally go down some during winter or is mine just because i have more clothes on causin so much drag.
Can I ask Sweet Tooth what the temps are in Mississippi that makes you wear more clothes? From a fellow rider here in Michigan I cant help but think it gets much more than sweatshirt weather in Mississippi....no?

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »
Can I ask Sweet Tooth what the temps are in Mississippi that makes you wear more clothes? From a fellow rider here in Michigan I cant help but think it gets much more than sweatshirt weather in Mississippi....no?

You can freeze your ass off in the south just as you can up north.  Come down here in the spring, live through the summer and when winter comes you will understand what I am talking about.  It can get into the 30's here in the desert and you are going to need more then just a sweatshirt to be able to ride for any length of time.

Sarka

• SEA-ROAR
  • Roadliner
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2012, 10:31:34 PM »
When your body gets use to 100 degree weather you begin to get chilly in  the 60s. I grew up in Va and can remember in fall in spring I would be in shorts when upper 50s would hit. Now down in Florida I find myself wearing thermal when it mid 60!

Sarka

• SEA-ROAR
  • Roadliner
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »
And from what I have heard the additives are different for the cooler months.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2012, 08:05:34 AM »
I dont know about Michigan but when i stayed in Missouri it was snowing their and it didnt feel at all like it should be. I was comfortable in a little hoodie. Our temps and their temps. Are two different beast. So far the hottest and the coldest places here close by. Is ms and la. The humidity is what makes the difference. Easiest way to tell you. Turn your ac on . And add a mister on full blast blowing on you. Here you have to beat the humidity and the temp. Doesnt help though one day its 78 and 3 days later its 58 either.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

RAIDER MANN

• Road Star
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2012, 08:25:32 AM »
Saraka2008 is right there is different additives in summer gas and winter gas, though I am not sure of the difference in the additives.  I add SeaFoam every so often to help keep things cleaned out.

As for the chill speaking as somebody who grew up in Michigan, married a Georgia peach then moved to Ohio.  I can tell you, your body becomes acclimated to certain temperature.  Since moving back up north after living down south for 14 years, I am now officially a freeze baby. Below 60 and I am in a jacket.  In Georgia I worked outside as a Conductor on the railroad, it was down into the 20's for about 1 month but 40's during the day.  Sweet Tooth is spot on the humidity makes it feel even colder.  I am ready for summer already.

Silent_Mike

• V Star
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2012, 09:33:04 PM »
Summertime gas is intended to reduce smog contribution from gasoline evaporation.  In the early 90's the EPA changed emission regs and now requires fuel sold between June and September to be less prone to evaporation in high temperatures.  Some parts of gas evaporate easier than others, so refineries change the blend of chemicals that make up gas to meet emissions standards. 

Wintertime gas, is basically the same gas that used to be available year-round before the EPA change.  But it has more filler chemicals like butane so you could say its more diluted than summer gas so it's not as efficient.   

Also, it's not uncommon for mpg's to go down in colder weather in general.  Cold air = dense air = more oxygen = more fuel needed to burn with the oxygen.  Your FI system knows how dense the air is and changes to compensate.  It might not be as noticeable if it's stock or has a tuner that uses the O2 sensor. 
Mike

Return to Riding

• Mistakes are forever; forgiveness is longer.
  • Road Star
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:14:47 PM »
It's funny walking across campus here in NC. At 50 degrees I see shorts and Tshirts and heavy coats. The Tshirts are kids from the north, and the heavy coats are the kids from the south. You do get used to it!
2009 Raider S Raven.
Tank destickered, Yamaha Fixed Backrest, Boulevard Windshield with 15" Rifle Replacement, Wolo 619 Big Bad Max Air Horn,  Model 30 LED spot driving lights, Elite Motosports exhaust, AVON 240 on Rear, Blaster-X Integrated Rear light and removed stock lollipops, 113 Lettering, Kury SwingWing Pegs, Ivan's Flash and Air Box Brackets

It is the journey and not the destination.

LostDog

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:31:27 AM »
For sure not where you're at, with the exception of the Seafoam as already mentioned, and that's only if you want it.