Author Topic: Feedback on Barnett clutch  (Read 15972 times)

Rczap

• rczap
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Feedback on Barnett clutch
« on: Dec 09, 2012, 12:43:22 pm »
I need to replace my clutch. I have seen people replacing their clutches with Barnett plates, Stock plates, adding extra plates, Barnett Springs and any combination of these. Can I get some feedback from those that have done their clutch and what their experience has been? I have done some basic mods, VH 2-1, Barons BAK, PC-V, so I would like my clutch to match the performance.
Thanks

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

wolfraider

• 2012 ROM Winner
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: Feedback on Barnett clutch
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2012, 02:28:40 pm »
    I got a complete Barnett clutch pack after 60k miles on my bike and still have it, except now as a foot clutch.
    It is very tight and in my case, in neutral the bike was slightly moving. Shifting became a little more clunky and rough, and it wasn't as easy to get the bike into neutral while standing at an intersection.
    It is a performance clutch and does exactly that. It engages quickly and fully.
    Another member, MinRaider, was contemplating this upgrade and after test riding my bike, decided against it and went with the stock replacement parts.
    After 22k miles and having it now as a foot clutch, it's really touchy and I'm contemplating to go back to a stock setup in the spring.

Just my two cents.
    To live on two wheels is to live a life in balance!

100k miles March 2008 - May 2014

Rick Busbea

• I call her Ruby....
    • AZ Group
    • Warrior
    • Referrals: 3
    « Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2012, 02:40:05 pm »
    I'd like to hear more feedback on this myself...my clutch is starting to slip under hard acceleration and I was going with the Barnett.  Wolf, I haven't heard a lot of your complaints and although it's a performance clutch, a friend had one and the only difference I could tell was the lever pressure and Ron didn't indicate any of the issues you had as far as riding.  He had 2 Raiders (one stock clutch and one with Barnett) and that was the only difference he noted. 

I'd really like to hear from others before I make the move though as I don't want to compromise all of Wolf's issues for performance.

• Advertisement

RangerRick

• Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:10:18 pm »
      If I remember right. Most Members were just using the Barrett Springs and keeping the Yamaha clutch packs. I'm sure some one will verify if this is correct or not.  ;)
      2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-SE5
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:39:31 pm »
      I doubled up the clutch plate. I find it quite the bear in stop and go traffic. Otherwise, I like the feel. I didn't like the 'mushy' feeling of the stock clutch when pulling in.

Rczap

• rczap
      • Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:15:26 pm »
      Thanks for the feedback so far. I found a post on "double clutch" and found some good info there. I have 110 ft/lbs of torque so I really want to get it hooked!!!!

Fj_Ohio

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:30:24 pm »
      It has been a long time ago but I seem to remember a thread where a member used half the springs from the Barnett kit and half stock springs,. They seemed very satisfied with the results. Kind of a middle of the road result. Maybe someone else here can recall this and also comment about it.
      FJ

102~2~113

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2012, 08:32:14 pm »
      Different spring types between stock and Barnett.  The Barnett comes with two set of springs, gold and green I think, and some have used 3 of each. 

Here's a double OEM diaphram spring thread.

https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=15864.msg290431#msg290431

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:53:38 pm »
      If I remember right. Most Members were just using the Barrett Springs and keeping the Yamaha clutch packs. I'm sure some one will verify if this is correct or not.  ;)

Yes, I did just the spring conversion.  I was going to do the complete clutch conversion but Brent at Tejas told me that the stock clutch plates were just as good as the Barnett clutch plates and to just save the money.  The stronger springs of the Barnett is what was needed.  It is a stronger pull but nothing that can't be handled easily.

Rick Busbea

• I call her Ruby....
      • AZ Group
      • Warrior
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2012, 01:07:11 am »
      Bill L:  This is what I remember reading about before.  With this setup, you haven't experienced the downside issues that Wolf mentioned?  For me, I'll have to wait until it's apart to see if the stock plates are usable or if I've worn them out - pretty sure I have as I'm pretty much a torque junkie and first noticed the slip when I changed to the 240 rear.  So now I'm wondering if I have to replace the plates as well, should I buy new stock plates or buy the Barnett clutch package....think I gotta do some more research.   :nerd: :nerd:

RangerRick

• Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2012, 07:47:16 am »
      Here is Brent's thoughts, the owner of Tejas. About the Barnett clutch Pack

[quote author=seventhLetter link=topic=14347.msg258248#msg258248 date=1327441917
      It's not the plates.  This is a full barnett kit that was just installed about 6 months ago.  There's no slippage.  In fact, quite the opposite.
      Barnett clutch plates (steel and friction) are extremely thin (almont knife edge). Because of there thinness, they have a tendency to tear up clutch hubs. If this is happening, your plates will hang up on the burrs and won't be able to freely disengage when pulling in the clutch lever. Also, it's been my experence that kevlar friction plates have a tendency to drag, especially when used in a wet clutch. I have found the best combination is to use the stock plates (add an extra one if you wish) along with the barnett pressure plate, with the heavy springs.

Agreed.  The Barnett pressure plate with coil springs is way better than stock, but stock plates and steels are superior in my opinion.  Our 600hp turbo busa runs stock fibers.  We change them every pass, but they work better than any aftermarket fiber and we have tried them all!
      2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-SE5
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:00:27 am »

[quote author=seventhLetter link=topic=14347.msg258248#msg258248 date=1327441917
      It's not the plates.  This is a full barnett kit that was just installed about 6 months ago.  There's no slippage.  In fact, quite the opposite.
      Barnett clutch plates (steel and friction) are extremely thin (almont knife edge). Because of there thinness, they have a tendency to tear up clutch hubs. If this is happening, your plates will hang up on the burrs and won't be able to freely disengage when pulling in the clutch lever. Also, it's been my experence that kevlar friction plates have a tendency to drag, especially when used in a wet clutch. I have found the best combination is to use the stock plates (add an extra one if you wish) along with the barnett pressure plate, with the heavy springs.

Agreed.  The Barnett pressure plate with coil springs is way better than stock, but stock plates and steels are superior in my opinion.  Our 600hp turbo busa runs stock fibers.  We change them every pass, but they work better than any aftermarket fiber and we have tried them all!

Actually.... Brent is the GM, not the owner but, knows what he's talking about.

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:37:21 am »
      I doubled up the clutch plate. I find it quite the bear in stop and go traffic. Otherwise, I like the feel. I didn't like the 'mushy' feeling of the stock clutch when pulling in.
      Did you or the dealer . If you did it . Could you put the barnett springs with the double clutch.
      Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:17:40 am »

Actually.... Brent is the GM, not the owner but, knows what he's talking about.

I'll second that...  ;D

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:02:19 am »
      I was thinking someone here, maybe Brent, said that the Barnett plates are thinner and can actually cause slicing to the housing. I'm unable to find that thread now.  Maybe I'm just imagining it.