Raider Patches

Author Topic: Feedback on Barnett clutch  (Read 3809 times)

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback on Barnett clutch
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:32:39 AM »
I was thinking someone here, maybe Brent, said that the Barnett plates are thinner and can actually cause slicing to the housing. I'm unable to find that thread now.  Maybe I'm just imagining it.

Go up about 4 posts above yours - RangerRick.  He quotes Brent there... 

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:35:09 AM »
I was thinking someone here, maybe Brent, said that the Barnett plates are thinner and can actually cause slicing to the housing. I'm unable to find that thread now.  Maybe I'm just imagining it.

Yeah, I saw that, but no mention of slicing.  I'm not sure if it was Brent or not.

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:41:13 AM »

Yeah, I saw that, but no mention of slicing.  I'm not sure if it was Brent or not.

He does not use the word slicing but does say " they have a tendency to tear up clutch hubs." I would think that slicing would fit in there.  Either way I will take what Brent said as good info.

102~2~113

• Big Brother
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »
I doubled up the clutch plate. I find it quite the bear in stop and go traffic. Otherwise, I like the feel. I didn't like the 'mushy' feeling of the stock clutch when pulling in.
Did you or the dealer . If you did it . Could you put the barnett springs with the double clutch.

Unless I'm way behind on the Raider information highway, I think the only thing you can double up on in the whole clutch pack is the OEM diaphram spring. 

I don't see how you could run two pressure plates, 20 friction or 18 steel plates, or anything else double without serious custom modification.  That is except for the double OEM diaphram spring.  I think Dreadly would change the word plate for spring in his post. 
Here's the Barnett:

Here's a link to the OEM:
http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/50047020f8700209bc7973e9/clutch

Here's a link to Barnett P/N 511-90-10007
http://www.barnettclutches.com/search/results.aspx?cmd=showresults&prod_pn=511-90-10007

I just spoke to Jennifer at Barnett, in the above spring conversion kit, it comes with lite and heavy springs which gives you the opportunity to add 3 of each thus giving you a medium pull.  The spring rate in pounds are:
Lite = 40 each x 6 = 240# of pull
Heavy= 58 each x 6 = 348#
Combo would equal 294#

Now we need to know the spring rate of the OEM diaphram spring.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2012, 12:05:14 PM »

He does not use the word slicing but does say " they have a tendency to tear up clutch hubs." I would think that slicing would fit in there.  Either way I will take what Brent said as good info.

That may be what I read and maybe I just pictured it as slicing.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »
So if the Barnett spring kit comes with two types of springs and you wanted to install the hybrid of the two, then wouldn't that leave a whole extra kit available for someone else?  Two people could buy one kit and have everything they need for the conversion of both bikes.  Am I missing something?

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »
So if the Barnett spring kit comes with two types of springs and you wanted to install the hybrid of the two, then wouldn't that leave a whole extra kit available for someone else?  Two people could buy one kit and have everything they need for the conversion of both bikes.  Am I missing something?

In the springs yes, but the plate that comes with it is only one in number, only one bike gets that.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2012, 12:28:16 PM »

In the springs yes, but the plate that comes with it is only one in number, only one bike gets that.

I'm saying if all you wanted to do was the spring conversion.  You can buy the springs seperate from the plates.

Rczap

• rczap
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2012, 12:52:32 PM »
These are all great replies. If the stock clutch plates are just as good or better than the Barnett plates, and the Barnett spring kit is is better. Which I am thinking to be true, since in the automotive world diaphragm clutches are not as strong generally as individual spring clutches. I am going to purchase the Barnett spring kit along with the stock clutch plates.

RaiderRick

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »
Before you buy clutches, check your clutch reservoir and make sure it's not too full. My '08 started slipping at 18k. Replaced clutches and it still slipped after warming up. Turned out that when the fluid heated up it had no room to expand so it started to disengage the clutch hence the slipping. Removed some fluid and no more slipping. You may also want to open it up and check the steels and plates. If the steels don't have any scoring, blueing from heat  or are warped then you may only need friction plates and not steels.

Rczap

• rczap
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2012, 01:25:35 PM »
Thanks Rick. I have 37k on the bike. It seems to do this no mater what the temp. But I will make sure to check the fluid after I change it over.

102~2~113

• Big Brother
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »
These are all great replies. If the stock clutch plates are just as good or better than the Barnett plates, and the Barnett spring kit is is better. Which I am thinking to be true, since in the automotive world diaphragm clutches are not as strong generally as individual spring clutches. I am going to purchase the Barnett spring kit along with the stock clutch plates.

Even the the Warrior world, this option is what is recommended.  That is if you are talking about buying the Barnett "Spring Conversion Kit" which includes the pressure plate and two sets of springs.  Barnett also sells the coil springs only which will only work on a Barnett pressure plate. 

I also assume in your bolded statement above you mean stock (friction and steel) clutch plates.

Let's list whats available:
Barnett:
Spring Conversion Kit includes pressure plate, 6 lite coil springs, 6 heavy coil springs.
Springs only,  coil springs and must be used on an existing Barnett pressure plate.
Clutch packs that include the friction and steel clutch plates.

OEM:
Stock diaphram spring, must be used on stock pressure plate
Stock pressure plate
Stock friction and steel clutch plates

The optimum set up as noted by Brent is Barnett Spring Conversion Kit along with the OEM stock friction and steel clutch plates. 
Next best set up is stock friction and steel clutch plates with stock pressure plate and double stock diaphram springs.
Springs are not interchangable between the Barnett and OEM pressure plates. 
Like RaiderRick said, the friction and steel plates need to be inspected and measured to determine if they are worn out.  And fluid level needs to be checked. 

Rczap, let us know the best price you find for the Barnett spring conversion kit.  I'll let you know what I have listed on my home computer.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »
Why are you guys making me think about this upgrade during the time of year when money is tightest?

102~2~113

• Big Brother
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2012, 02:09:19 PM »
I'm thinking it can be done for around $150 for the spring conversion kit, gasket, and oil. 

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
I'm thinking it can be done for around $150 for the spring conversion kit, gasket, and oil.

Serious??? 

I have prices from when I was looking into it in March and I have Tejas at $182.39 and Phat Performance at $169.95 for the spring conversion kit  (Part# 511-90-10007, SR-7).

Where are you getting it that cheap?