Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: Feedback on Barnett clutch  (Read 3338 times)

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback on Barnett clutch
« Reply #30 on: Dec 10, 2012, 02:18:48 PM »
Why are you guys making me think about this upgrade during the time of year when money is tightest?

Just remember it can be tough on the forearms if you do a lot of stop and go riding in the city.

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 10, 2012, 02:23:34 PM »
Why are you guys making me think about this upgrade during the time of year when money is tightest?

Just remember it can be tough on the forearms if you do a lot of stop and go riding in the city.

Yeah. I keep considering that. I don't do a ton of stop and go.  Most of mine is slow and go.

102~2~113

• Big Brother
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 10, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »
I'm thinking it can be done for around $150 for the spring conversion kit, gasket, and oil.

Serious??? 

I have prices from when I was looking into it in March and I have Tejas at $182.39 and Phat Performance at $169.95 for the spring conversion kit  (Part# 511-90-10007, SR-7).

Where are you getting it that cheap?
I've got a couple links saved on the home computer.  I'll check it out later.

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 10, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »
So if the Barnett spring kit comes with two types of springs and you wanted to install the hybrid of the two, then wouldn't that leave a whole extra kit available for someone else?  Two people could buy one kit and have everything they need for the conversion of both bikes.  Am I missing something?

In the springs yes, but the plate that comes with it is only one in number, only one bike gets that.

I'm saying if all you wanted to do was the spring conversion.  You can buy the springs seperate from the plates.

Yes, you can buy just the spring conversion kit, it comes with 12 springs, 6 medium and 6 heavy and the plate the springs fit into.  They convert the diaphram spring in the stock clutch to the six coil spring system, the rest of the stock friction and clutch plates remain intact.  Only the diaphram spring is swapped out with the conversion kit.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:04:38 PM »

;D ;D ;D You can now just use the money you saved by not haveing to go to the dealer to get them to fix that part. And buy you the springs ;)
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:07:38 PM »

;D ;D ;D You can now just use the money you saved by not haveing to go to the dealer to get them to fix that part. And buy you the springs ;)

I didn't save any money.  I just didn't feel the pain of NEEDING to spend the money that was pre-planned for.

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »

I didn't save any money.  I just didn't feel the pain of NEEDING to spend the money that was pre-planned for.

I say... wait and do it in the.... spring.    :doh:   ;D

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »

I say... wait and do it in the.... spring.    :doh:   ;D

I probably will.

102~2~113

• Big Brother
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »
Well, I thought I found it priced at 138.00 but was 158.00.  Looking further, I found 156 and change, sorry. 

Here's a link to the full process of pressure plate, springs, and friction and steel plates.

http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=11239.0

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »
Well, I thought I found it priced at 138.00 but was 158.00.  Looking further, I found 156 and change, sorry. 

Here's a link to the full process of pressure plate, springs, and friction and steel plates.

http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=11239.0

Where at?

102~2~113

• Big Brother
  • Road Star
    • View Profile

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »
Oh cool!  I just ordered some heated glove liners for my son from them and they arrived quick.

Phalcun

• I'd rather be riding my Raider!!
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:54:35 PM »
I got the Barnett pressure plate last spring as my clutch would drag a little at times and I been known to ride hard at times and I like the idea of good solid lock up.  I ordered stock frictions in case I needed them when I ordered the clutch on Ebay and I see the same guy motorcyclemx-2009 still has a good deal ($152.94) at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BARNETT-YAM-XV19-RAIDER-CONVERSION-CLUTCH-SPRING-KIT-/270681079551?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f05d97eff,   no fault of the sellers but the pilot bearing was missing in my boxed up seal wrapped kit, I sent him a pic of kit and the seller got me one from Barnett in just a couple of days, I was impressed with service.  Using the legendary how-to MasterCam put together, with pictures, it was no hassle for me.  One thing I did was check clutch lever pull before I buttoned up the clutch cover and everything up, the race springs didn't feel bad at all and that's what I installed.  The clutch has been fine no issues of any kind after another 16,000 miles except when putting around like in lots of stop in go traffic (like after two days at Sturgis) my fingers got tired but I usually ride with two fingers so I just had to learn to use all fingers and it weren't so bad.  Anyway glad I did the swap for peace of mind, my old frictions with 25,000 miles were just a little dark but I installed the new ones from Sportsplaza in Portland, OR, steels were fine.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »
I've got to wonder what my friction plates are looking like after 75,000+ miles on the original stock plates.

Kevs UK Raider S

• UK Raider Owner
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
One of only 27 Raider owners in the UK

http://www.raiderrally.com/index.html