Raider Patches

Author Topic: Engine Knocking at Start Up  (Read 1062 times)

Dshrek49

• Dragon Raider
  • V Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Engine Knocking at Start Up
« on: Dec 09, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »
I have a 2009 Raider, If the bike has been sitting any length of time the engile knocks when it is first started up, afetr about 15 seconds it goes away.  I also have 2 2010 Raider S models that don't do the same.  My raider S model is a 2010 with about 4500 miles,  The Raider 2009 has about 1500 miles, almost new.  Anyone have some ideas?

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Knocking at Start Up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »
You likely have the lifter issue.  The mileage and symptoms seem right.  Big problem on the '09 and some '10s.  Do a search for Lifter issue and you get all the info you need.  Don't leave it go since it can damage your cam.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

69quadracer

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »
are you sure its not the decompressor making the noise, every now and then mine will make a clack clack clack noise when first started for a few seconds.

raider58

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »
Like capt. zoom said those years had a problem with the lifters and if I am not mistaken you can take it into Yamaha and they should have the lifters replaced. Alot of others had the same problem and Yamaha fixed it because they new the lifters were bad.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »
U can also get a knock at startup for about 15 seconds in really cold weather when the oil is thick and cold.  Should go away almost immediately though after startup.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

RangerRick

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:12:24 PM »
U can also get a knock at startup for about 15 seconds in really cold weather when the oil is thick and cold.  Should go away almost immediately though after startup.

My 2009 used to do that at times when it had low miles, now at 40,000 it has not done it at all.
2009 Raider XV19CYS
ANG Member 25 years
Retired Aug. 1, 2010

102~2~113

• Big Brother
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »
Here's some ink from May 2012 on my 09's supposed lifter issue.  http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=16005.0

If I had to do it all again, I wouldn't have changed the oil from 10/40 to 20/50. I then would have taken it to the dealer where the factory warranty rep needs to verify the issue, and let them go from there.  They may have still claimed valve adjustment; which along with the 20/50 has kept my engine humming along. But the valve adjustment wasn't free.

Bottom line, if it is the lifter issue, it's covered under the emissions warranty which is 5 years, 18k miles.   :o

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:49:14 PM »
I have a 2009 Raider, If the bike has been sitting any length of time the engile knocks when it is first started up, afetr about 15 seconds it goes away.  I also have 2 2010 Raider S models that don't do the same.  My raider S model is a 2010 with about 4500 miles,  The Raider 2009 has about 1500 miles, almost new.  Anyone have some ideas?

Most of the time with this issue, the frustration you'll go through is really dependent on the dealer.  Good dealers will fix it right away since they have likely done it before and done right by the customer.  Bad dealers will jerk you around just to milk money from mama yamaha which adds a lot of time and frustration.

Your best bet is to make a new forum post titled something like "Lifter issue in Richmond VA...need a good dealer...who'd u use".  Somebody from your area will likely chime in to send you to a good dealer for the issue.  I'd be willing to drive several hours to a good dealer rather than 5 minutes to a bad one for this issue.

Kick Logic To The Curb!

102~2~113

• Big Brother
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2012, 08:24:11 PM »
Agreed Capt.  If you do get a dealer that wants to blow you off, contact a Star rep, they're located in CA and were very helpful.  Have your vin # ready and pump them for information, they're quite rightous. 

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
It sounds like the lifters. Mine had a bad batch. The dealer replaced all of mine for free. All that was spent was the time and gas gettin up their. Mine had around 4500 on it when mine went out i believe.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Darthraider

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2012, 07:24:15 AM »
Just had my 2010 in shop for lifter replacement,had dealer ck into it.They (yamaha)act like they would replace lifters,even if it was out of warranty.mostly 09's and 2010's  :raider:

Ares X

• Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:58:32 AM »

Personally I think it's Karma since you own THREE Raiders.

Ares X

• Global Moderator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
Agreed Capt.  If you do get a dealer that wants to blow you off, contact a Star rep, they're located in CA and were very helpful.  Have your vin # ready and pump them for information, they're quite rightous.

I would contact Yamaha directly first.  This is what I did when my fuel pump went out for the second time and it saved a whole lot of problems with the dealer.  They were extremely friendly and very helpful.

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:01:37 AM »
Agree with the lifter issue and it should be an easy fix if you find a shop that won't give you crap about it.  It's not like it's an unknown issue and why any shop would argue against it is beyond me.

Designed by Bill L - Built by Tejas
120ci of Refined Attitude  "Bigger is Better"

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
Agree with the lifter issue and it should be an easy fix if you find a shop that won't give you crap about it.  It's not like it's an unknown issue and why any shop would argue against it is beyond me.
The shop in laurel gave me no trouble at all . I told them the problem . They said it was common issue. They replaced all of them . No problems with that since.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.