Raider Patches

Author Topic: New raider clutch  (Read 883 times)

raider58

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
New raider clutch
« on: Dec 10, 2012, 11:12:41 PM »
This would be nice if this could be retrofit to previous years of the raider? Anyone know if this is possible? Might be too expensive to do anyway knowing how much star parts are!

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelvideo/660/1653/0/video.aspx
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2012, 11:15:45 PM by raider58 »

RaiderRick

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
Re: New raider clutch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2012, 11:41:22 PM »
I bet that you could get away with changing out the clutch basket and pressure plate assembly and I imagine they'll want a arm and a leg for it.

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »
Yep, that's what I am thinking, it probably can be changed over but it will cost you big time.

Designed by Bill L - Built by Tejas
120ci of Refined Attitude  "Bigger is Better"

RaiderRick

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2012, 11:57:12 PM »
It'll definatly cost me big time, because when I wear this one out I'll trade it in on a new one that already has it in it.

On another note, I like your name change Bill.

Ares X

• Global Moderator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »
I want one!!!

bhodge

• www.tejasmotorsports.com
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Tejas Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:49:03 AM »
It can be retrofitted, but I just checked and pricing is not available yet.  We should see pricing by month end I would guess.  It appears based on the parts breakdown that you will need the following:

Fibers and Steels
New Pressure plate and springs
Pressure plate retainer and bolts

The clutch boss looks to be the same, but they changed from a single part to an assembly so the part numbers are different.  I would be willing to bet that it did not change, but I need to put my hands on one.

I have ridden a new 2013 with the softer clutch and I personally did not like it.  I think it would be great for someone who had smaller hands or arthritis.

Brent

Ares X

• Global Moderator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »
Brent- That's good feedback.  Let us know more when you get more info.  THANKS!

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »
It can be retrofitted, but I just checked and pricing is not available yet.  We should see pricing by month end I would guess.  It appears based on the parts breakdown that you will need the following:

Fibers and Steels

The clutch boss looks to be the same, but they changed from a single part to an assembly so the part numbers are different.  I would be willing to bet that it did not change, but I need to put my hands on one.

I have ridden a new 2013 with the softer clutch and I personally did not like it.  I think it would be great for someone who had smaller hands or arthritis.

Brent

Would it handle the 120 kit.. or would it still slip? 

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

MYRDR aka Bill L

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »

Fibers and Steels

Brent

What do you mean by "still slip" T?  Mine does not slip at all, the clutch is stock with the exception of the spring conversion kit.  Watching the video on how it works I am thinking it would hold even better then the stock no matter what size motor you have.

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »

Fibers and Steels

Brent

What do you mean by "still slip" T?  Mine does not slip at all, the clutch is stock with the exception of the spring conversion kit.  Watching the video on how it works I am thinking it would hold even better then the stock no matter what size motor you have.

I mean will new new "stock" clutch design handle the 120.  I know that the Barons is a harder squeeze and that's probably not a big deal.... normally.  But in rush hour traffic and/or accidents... that could get to be a strain on the forearm.  So, if the new clutch will handle the 120... even better.

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »
If it would pull better than the ones before that clutch it may be worth it. But for just a easier clutch pullback its not worth the extra money to me.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

MYRDR aka Bill L

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:32:55 AM »

Fibers and Steels

Brent

I mean will new new "stock" clutch design handle the 120.  I know that the Barons is a harder squeeze and that's probably not a big deal.... normally.  But in rush hour traffic and/or accidents... that could get to be a strain on the forearm.  So, if the new clutch will handle the 120... even better.

oh, OK, good point... I am sure it would be much better in those situations with a 20% less pull over the stock clutch.  Lucky for me I don't live in a big city so rush hour driving is not a concern for me...  ;D  At the same time I can see that the more you use the clutch no matter what set-up you have or driving conditions your forearm is going to get used to it.  Kinda like using one of those spring loaded grip things for working out.

Ares X

• Global Moderator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »

Fibers and Steels

Brent

oh, OK, good point... I am sure it would be much better in those situations with a 20% less pull over the stock clutch.  Lucky for me I don't live in a big city so rush hour driving is not a concern for me...  ;D  At the same time I can see that the more you use the clutch no matter what set-up you have or driving conditions your forearm is going to get used to it.  Kinda like using one of those spring loaded grip things for working out.

Yeah, but don't you have to stop for tumbleweed crossings?

MYRDR aka Bill L

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »

Fibers and Steels

Brent

Yeah, but don't you have to stop for tumbleweed crossings?

No, only the HD riders have to do that...  :o

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »
<< quote breaker  :lolsign:

Race the rain