Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Middle drive leak....  (Read 1033 times)

roadventure

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Middle drive leak....
« on: Dec 12, 2012, 09:01:17 PM »
Hi Ya'll,

I recently bought a 2009 Raider S with about 4K miles on it.  The first thing I wanted to do was to change the engine oil & filter and also the middle drive lube.  The engine oil change went well (I used to own a Road Star....). 

Next, I removed the drain screw on the middle drive cover to drain it and nothing came out.  So, I removed the fill plug and stuck my finger in the hole and could not feel any oil.  Plus the cover was rather warm.  So, I fgured that it must be low on fluid.  I put in some W85/90 gear oil and was able to squeeze in about 12 ounces.  Still, no oil felt when I stuck my finger in the fill hole.

Now, I realize that I removed the WRONG drain screw.  There are two "drain screws".  Actually ONE drain screw located about center/bottom of the cover and it is almost covered up by the rear break valve.  The other screw. located about 1" below the fill plug is for checking fluid level when the bike is vertical.

Well, I had the bike on the side stand when I removed the drain screw (actually the level check screw) and nothing came out, which is right and proper.  This is why I thought the fluid level was low and added fluid.

Here is my issue.  I now have gear oil flowing out of the middle drive, from somewhere, most likely do to my overfill situation. 

1. Is there an opening somewhere in the middle drive that allows excess oil to escape? 

2. Can my leak be corrected by draining the middle drive (using the correct drain screw this time) and then refilling with the amount specified in the shop manual?

3. Should I remove the middle drive cover, replace the old gasket with a new one than then refill with the amount specfied in the shop manual?
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2012, 09:10:03 PM by roadventure »

Viotater

• Road Star
    • View Profile
Re: Middle drive leak....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2012, 02:24:56 AM »
The tranfer case holds .58 of s us quart so you overfilled it
There are three holes on the case. the big one is fill only
the other two are
Lower plug is the drain plug its at the very bottom of the case The middle is the fill level. So to fix it all you have to do is set the bike up pefectly straight, put a drain pan under and pull the middle plug until it stops draining oil out and youre done  ...easy peasy 
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2012, 02:29:37 AM by Viotater »
If god had meant for us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot at.

roadventure

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »
Thanks Viotater.

Yeah, easy, no problem!  All I have to do is to remove the exhaust system and the rear brake hydrualic stuff to get to the drain screw!   >:(

Well, sounds like it has to be done, so I'll get to it!  And this time, try to remember lessons I learned when I had the Road Star.  (I know, not the same engine, but so very similar in design)

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the Raider engine oil change is a bit different from the Road Star (as is the procedure for checking the oil level, too).  The Raider has three drain plugs rather than two and adding oil back is a two-step process. 

roadventure

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the Raider engine oil change is a bit different from the Road Star (as is the procedure for checking the oil level, too).  The Raider has three drain plugs rather than two and adding oil back is a two-step process.

The Road Star/Roadliner/Raider all follow the same procedure for oil change and for oil level check.  Yes, there are some minor differences....

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2012, 02:10:37 PM »

The Road Star/Roadliner/Raider all follow the same procedure for oil change and for oil level check.  Yes, there are some minor differences....
OK, just checking.  To me, three drains vs. two is a little more than a minor variation. but that's just me.  Ride safe. 

roadventure

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »
Drained the middle drive today and found that I had overfilled by about 16oz.  Put the correct 18.5oz back in and went for a couple mile ride.  Complete dryness where I was getting leakage before.

Thanks to all for the the help!

guitarguy774

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:57:03 AM »
Does this drain plug take the same gasket as the oil drain plug???  I'm getting ready to change mine next week.

102~2~113

• Big Brother
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2013, 02:03:40 PM »
Does this drain plug take the same gasket as the oil drain plug???  I'm getting ready to change mine next week.

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/50047021f8700209bc7973eb/middle-drive-gear

No, the drain and overfill plugs for the transfer case are much smaller than engine oil drain plugs.  See attached URL and view part #s
13 & 14 that are probably the drain plug and washer/gasket
41 & 42 are probably the overfill plug and washer/gasket
40 is the fill plug

18.5 OZ is right

guitarguy774

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
Thanks!  I just ordered a lifetime worth of gaskets haha.