Author Topic: LA Choppers Low Profiler cap  (Read 6232 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
LA Choppers Low Profiler cap
« on: Dec 13, 2012, 12:12:43 pm »
I installed the LA Choppers Low Profiler cap quite a few months back and the other night I noticed when filling up the tank that the glue had lost its bond.  I've got an email in to the company, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a good adhesive that I can use to lock it down for good. I was considering JB Weld, but I don't know if it will have any bad effects with the fuel or vice versa.

Ideas?

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Mr. T

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 4
    Re: LA Choppers Low Profiler cap
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2012, 12:36:26 pm »
    I installed the LA Choppers Low Profiler cap quite a few months back and the other night I noticed when filling up the tank that the glue had lost its bond.  I've got an email in to the company, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a good adhesive that I can use to lock it down for good. I was considering JB Weld, but I don't know if it will have any bad effects with the fuel or vice versa.

Ideas?

Hmmm... I too installed the Baron's low profile cap... some time ago... with no issues.   :thinking:
    Your's a two separate glues that you had to mix before using... right?

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
    • SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:01:55 pm »

Ideas?

Hmmm... I too installed the Baron's low profile cap... some time ago... with no issues.   :thinking:

I also have the Baron's Low Profile Cap, the first time I filled the tank when I pulled away from the pump gas came out.  Tejas has sent me an O ring and epoxy, they told me they have heard of this problem before but that the O ring will fix it.

• Advertisement

Paladin

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:36:41 pm »
      I had the same problem with an RSD cap that I bought from Tejas. I think there may be an additive in the gas that attacks the two part epoxy. So, I went back to using the stock cap. I actually like the fact that the stock cap locks. The problem with a nice cap that doesn't lock, is the fact that it can be stolen.
      Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2012, 02:43:35 pm »
      Here's what I got from LA Choppers...

Good Afternoon,

I am sorry to hear that the adhesive has come loose on this gas cap. I would suggest using a similar adhesive that you could source at your local auto parts store, but JB Weld is a pretty serious adhesive. While I do not see any reason it would not work, it will definately make removal very difficult if you ever intend to remove the cap in the future. If you decide to go this route, please ensure that you do not get JB Weld any of the moving components on the gas cap and make sure not to allow any to enter the tank as this could cause serious problems to your injectors/fuel system. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us anytime.

Thank You,

Joel

Baron & LA Choppers Support Powered By Cruiser Customizing. 

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2012, 02:45:32 pm »

Ideas?

Yep.  I'm wondering if the AZ heat over Summer was part of the problem.

I'm going to do like suggested and see what Autozone has to offer.  I didn't realize it was suppose to be able to be removed.  I never thought of it that way. Right now it's just sitting in the hole and doesn't seem to want to move.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2012, 02:46:41 pm »

Ideas?

I also have the Baron's Low Profile Cap, the first time I filled the tank when I pulled away from the pump gas came out.  Tejas has sent me an O ring and epoxy, they told me they have heard of this problem before but that the O ring will fix it.

To avoid this from happening, all you have to do is put some of the 2-part epoxy in the vent hole and then the gas can't escape.  I've never had an issue with leaking and I fill pretty full.

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:13:09 pm »

Ideas?

I'm going to do like suggested and see what Autozone has to offer.  I didn't realize it was suppose to be able to be removed.  I never thought of it that way. Right now it's just sitting in the hole and doesn't seem to want to move.

I don't think it is.... Tejas told me that it's a "can't go back" proposition. 

July 2009

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:16:58 pm »

Ideas?

I don't think it is.... Tejas told me that it's a "can't go back" proposition.

That's how I took it as well, but that's not what Joel indicated in his response.  I like the cap, so I may just use JB Weld.  I'll see what Autozone has to offer and make a decision.

jim

• Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:15:43 pm »
      I had the same problem with an RSD cap that I bought from Tejas. I think there may be an additive in the gas that attacks the two part epoxy. So, I went back to using the stock cap. I actually like the fact that the stock cap locks. The problem with a nice cap that doesn't lock, is the fact that it can be stolen.

same issue here with the epoxy and also went back the stock cap... To tell you the truth I see better into the tank as the adapter on the Barons really limits visability for mr to see when the tank is full.

RAIDER MANN

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:55:00 pm »
      Same thing happened to me in the summer just before a big ride.  I was able to get the old cap back on.  I will wait until summer to try it again with another adhesive that i bought from auto zone.  It is specifically designed for gas tank repairs.  I wish there was a way to got the pop-up route.

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:47:52 pm »

same issue here with the epoxy and also went back the stock cap... To tell you the truth I see better into the tank as the adapter on the Barons really limits visability for mr to see when the tank is full.

More visability... absolutely.   I just HATE the way the OEM cap looks like a "wart" sitting on top of the tank.    :censored:

July 2009

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:19:12 am »

More visability... absolutely.   I just HATE the way the OEM cap looks like a "wart" sitting on top of the tank.    :censored:

I agree.  I definitely like the LA Choppers look better. Just wished the glue would've held.

I stopped to fill up the tank last night and filled it super full. Then decided to work all that excess epoxy off so that it doesn't drop into the tank. Bad idea... I take off and gas starts running down the tank. So I got home and cleaned it up and then found the old cap to use until I fix it this weekend.  If everyone else (except T) is having the same issue with it, U may go the JB Weld route. I can't imagine anything breaking it loose short of a Dremmel.

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2012, 10:09:30 am »

I agree.  I definitely like the LA Choppers look better. Just wished the glue would've held.

I stopped to fill up the tank last night and filled it super full. Then decided to work all that excess epoxy off so that it doesn't drop into the tank. Bad idea... I take off and gas starts running down the tank. So I got home and cleaned it up and then found the old cap to use until I fix it this weekend.  If everyone else (except T) is having the same issue with it, U may go the JB Weld route. I can't imagine anything breaking it loose short of a Dremmel.

I will say that I was not shy with the amount of glue I used.   :shrug:

July 2009

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2012, 10:14:26 am »
      I will say that I was not shy with the amount of glue I used.   :shrug:

So you're going into it thinking that you cannot reverse it, right?  That's how I originally thought it was supposed to be.  If that's the case I see no reason not to use JB Weld to attach it.  The epoxy they gave me pretty much crystalized and I was able to work it loose with my thumb.