Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: Cold starting issues.  (Read 923 times)

69quadracer

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Cold starting issues.
« on: Dec 23, 2012, 04:57:00 AM »
Ok Guys here is the problem when its cold, 30ish my scoot seems to have a hard time starting, slow turning over, i have the 20/50 full synethic oil kinda thinking the battery, have only had the Raider a year it was bought brand new as it was a 09 left over, warranty is out think a new battery will fix the issue.

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Cold starting issues.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2012, 06:21:32 AM »
Switch to 10W-40.  It is recommended for temps less than 50 F. 
Battery might help, but if it does start, maybe not.
Be sure bike is in neutral...less stuff for the starter to turn through the thick oil. 

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2012, 10:46:08 AM »
If you've had the battery on a battery tender and it's doing this you might want to get a new battery..If it's not on a tender the battery may just be low...my battery in my 08 died on me after 4yrs...take it out and have it tested.
Microtel Inn and Suites Maggie Valley
3777 U.S. 19, Maggie Valley, NC ‎
(828) 926-8554       Booking code: "Raider Rally"

69quadracer

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »
 yes i use a battery tender, guess i need to have it tested.
If you've had the battery on a battery tender and it's doing this you might want to get a new battery..If it's not on a tender the battery may just be low...my battery in my 08 died on me after 4yrs...take it out and have it tested.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2012, 12:35:57 PM »
yes i use a battery tender, guess i need to have it tested.
Yep I had mine on a tender and showed a full charge until I tried the start the bike...then all I got was a click...the battery is over three years old so you may want to just go ahead a get a new battery...don't want to get stuck somewhere....but if it tests good...you might get a few more months out of it...good luck.
Microtel Inn and Suites Maggie Valley
3777 U.S. 19, Maggie Valley, NC ‎
(828) 926-8554       Booking code: "Raider Rally"

StrykerBilly

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »
Cars start in temps way lower than that but as said above you are running pretty thick oil for low temps.  Couple that with an older battery/maybe lower charge and things aren't in your favor.  If you are going to continue riding in the lower temps I believe you'd be better served with 10W40... Running in 2 seasons(hot summer and cold winter) sort of necessitates an oil change in between to switch grades and get the best for both seasons.  Of course if you are riding year round and especially in the extremes you probably rack up enough mileage to do multiple oil changes anyway...

Soupie

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2012, 04:31:04 AM »
Something to consider to avoid those cold starts is a block heater for your ride. Use an extension cord, cut off the female end and splice on a pigtail light socket. I use a 25 watt light bulb and lay it on the block of my engine and plug it in. The metal conducts the heat of the bulb avoiding cold starts, works for me.
cheers
Soupie :-)
Always drink upstream from the heard.

RangerRick

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
Something to consider to avoid those cold starts is a block heater for your ride. Use an extension cord, cut off the female end and splice on a pigtail light socket. I use a 25 watt light bulb and lay it on the block of my engine and plug it in. The metal conducts the heat of the bulb avoiding cold starts, works for me.
cheers

Great Idea, and welcome from Oregon, to the RSR Forums, Soupie  :)
2009 Raider XV19CYS
ANG Member 25 years
Retired Aug. 1, 2010

pjcria

• Rom 6:23 <><
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »
I just put my bike up for the winter  :'(  been riding in 20F and up weather, but now we have snow on the roads.
I have an 09 with the factory battery and ride 15 miles one way to work so the battery gets a good charge. I use the 20-50 synthetic oil and would recomend changing it to 10-40 if your going to ride in 30F or less temp's. I didn't because the last oil change wasn't that long ago to justify spending the extra money on another oil change but there is extra noise from the motor when I start it so I make sure it's warmed up before taking off. It turns over slower and sometimes even pauses a second but always starts easy. Love this bike!

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2012, 01:07:20 AM »
cheers

Great Idea, and welcome from Oregon, to the RSR Forums, Soupie  :)

Soupie Welcome to the forum from Yuma, AZ.  How long do you leave your block heater on before start up?  I think it's a great idea, living here in the desert I don't have to worry but I can really see how your idea can be helpful to all our northern brothers and sisters...  :thumbs:

Soupie

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2012, 05:34:20 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll plug it in before going to bed if I've been riding so the bike has a chance to cool (you don't want plastic or rubber insulation from the cord or pigtail anywhere near your hot engine) but for the most part once the cold weather starts it's kept on all the time. I park/store the Raider in my garage which is not heated so not only does the process eliminate cold starts but also helps prevent any dampness or condensation from settling on the bike.
cheers
Soupie 
Always drink upstream from the heard.