Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Suggested Video Camera?  (Read 2289 times)

JazzyzGurl

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • SCRC Chapter 171
Re: Suggested Video Camera?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:57:59 PM »
Hmmm... gotta go against the flow on this'un

http://driftinnovation.com/camera/drift-hd/

Much more compact and aerodynamic for helmet mounting than go pro.

The lens turns to put everything properly straight no matter where you mount it... It's predecessor is the one I've made most of my videos with... and the one that was stolen. It also has the ability for an external mic so you can narrate as you go if desired...

I'll be replacing the stolen cam shortly with the new and improved model.
+1 ... and it has a remote.

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »
Does the GoPro utilize a removable media card or is it internal memory only?  I would love to be able to remove a card and just slide it into my computer for download and editing.   :popcorn: :popcorn:
Yes...removable memory from what I read!

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:32:14 PM »
Hmmm... gotta go against the flow on this'un

http://driftinnovation.com/camera/drift-hd/

Much more compact and aerodynamic for helmet mounting than go pro.

The lens turns to put everything properly straight no matter where you mount it... It's predecessor is the one I've made most of my videos with... and the one that was stolen. It also has the ability for an external mic so you can narrate as you go if desired...

I'll be replacing the stolen cam shortly with the new and improved model.
+1 ... and it has a remote.

I have never seen this camera before this post and after looking at this camera I have to state that I feel the GoPro Black Edition it the much better buy.  Same cost, $399.00 but you get so much more for that $399.00 with the GoPro.  The Remote is included as with the Drift-HD Ghost at no extra cost.  The water resistant camera case is also included with the GoPro but is not with the Drift-HD,  There are also so many more items that come with the GoPro that are assessories with the Drift-HD, totally over the $100.00 in assessories that Drift-HD offers.  The Drift-HD weighs twice as much as the GoPro, 5.2oz campaired to 2.6oz and the GoPro is much smaller.  The fact that you can move the lens on the Drift-HD to the desired angle is of no factor whatsoever considering that you can do the same thing by mounting the GoPro on any one of the included mounts that allow you to rotate the camera to look where you want it too look.  I do feel that the Drift-HD is an excellent camera but for the money you get just as great of a camera with the GoPro and so much more.

CoastalTrader

• WARR 2012
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:20:18 PM »
I'm really liking this one - simple - tuff - waterproff - great reviews - great VALUE.  Looks like it will meet my needs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ContourROAM2 Camera
http://store.contour.com/ae/us/cameras/contourroam-2/invt/1800/

Live life in color. The Contour ROAM2 brings brilliant updates to our most loved camera, while retaining the features that made it a best seller. Still the simplest camera to use on the market, the locking Instant On-Record switch makes it easy to get the perfect shot. While black is always in style, weʼve spiced it up by offering the ContourROAM2 in two additional colors: red and blue. Weʼve also upped the frame rate to 60fps at 720p, and fine-tuned the picture giving the video quality incredible clarity.

Availability: Red, Blue & Black Availability: PRE-ORDER

For: $199.99CAD

"Life... it's all about the ride."

Biker Cowboy

• Two wheels on a Ribbon of Highway = Shining Times
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle Touring on Freedom Road
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:02:45 AM »
The go pro is an excellent camera.

While the new models are lighter, at 2-5 oz for them or my drift, the weight is pretty irrelevant. Neither one weighs anything! ;)

As for size I don't see where the go pro is smaller? The drift mounts tight and aerodynamically against your helmet or where ever. I really dislike the way the go pro sticks out like a flag. It looks kinda goofy to me.

As for weather resistance, the drift is rubber encased and weather resistant, the go pro requires a secondary case as I understand it? Rode mine in the rain without issue other than water obscuring the lens. But then it has a rounded lens cover that clears pretty well. ;)

Something I really like as well is, the drift has an LED screen so you can see where it's aimed. The Go Pro you can only guess and hope. Also, when I bought mine the HD170 had external mic capability the go pro didn't and I think still doesn't?

Each to his own. The Drift (I had the larger predecessor) did what I needed and fit me better than the go pro.
When the world is crushing your soul... Put two wheels on a Ribbon of Highway... and leave your burdens behind...

Deyv

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:27:25 AM »
I picked up on of these from Woot
http://www.woot.com/offers/swann-freestyle-1080p-action-cam

Still working on making the mounts for the bike, so I haven't used it yet.. I definitely like the GoPro, but didn't have the $$ for it.. The Swann should (fingers crossed) do okay for what I want...

Deyv
Non Clementia!
Non Captivus!

seventhLetter

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:40:17 PM »
The go pro is an excellent camera.

While the new models are lighter, at 2-5 oz for them or my drift, the weight is pretty irrelevant. Neither one weighs anything! ;)

As for size I don't see where the go pro is smaller? The drift mounts tight and aerodynamically against your helmet or where ever. I really dislike the way the go pro sticks out like a flag. It looks kinda goofy to me.

As for weather resistance, the drift is rubber encased and weather resistant, the go pro requires a secondary case as I understand it? Rode mine in the rain without issue other than water obscuring the lens. But then it has a rounded lens cover that clears pretty well. ;)

Something I really like as well is, the drift has an LED screen so you can see where it's aimed. The Go Pro you can only guess and hope. Also, when I bought mine the HD170 had external mic capability the go pro didn't and I think still doesn't?

Each to his own. The Drift (I had the larger predecessor) did what I needed and fit me better than the go pro.

Just to clear some things up...

With the newer gopro's they are wifi enabled.  This means you can mount it anywhere ya want, and from up to 300 yards away control it via a purchasable remote, or using an app on your smart phone. If you use the smartphone app (free) you also get a live preview while setting up, so no need for an lcd viewfinder.  There is a purchasable lcd that mounts to the back though if you really want the lcd onboard the camera. (I have always run without, and due to the super wide lens it's never been an issue)

I'm in no way discounting the Drift camera, it's just that I've had lots of experience with the gopro's ever since the first versions came out.

Some have been unhappy with the image quality in the older models, but that has been resolved and in fact I am AMAZED with the image quality and I work with video on a daily basis at my job.

Running in protune mode I get a higher bitrate than our Canon5DmarkIII at work (about a $3,000 camera body)

This newest version (Hero3 Black Edition) shoots in so many different resolutions and frame rates that I am getting VERY STABLE, pro quality clean footage when mounted to the frame of my bike.  I haven't had time to cut anything together yet (it's been too nasty to do much riding anyway).

But I will post some examples when the weather gets better.

Obviously I'm a big fan of the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition, but more importantly:

I'd say people need to think about price, how much they will use it, and mounting possibilities and accessories that are available for the camera they plan to purchase.

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2013, 07:56:31 PM by seventhLetter »
RoxieRaider, SeventhLetter, G, "hey you", I answer to just about anything.

3fan4evr

• Dread the Red !!
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:02:42 AM »
Does the GoPro utilize a removable media card or is it internal memory only?  I would love to be able to remove a card and just slide it into my computer for download and editing.   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Yes
Yes, I'm a SOA fanatic

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »
Im glad I started this post...looks like I have some research to do  :)

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »
Very informative, got me to thinking also, have looked at all the ones listed here and must agree they are all very good cameras.  But for the top of the line camera I still think the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition is the best buy for the money.  Come on Tax Return...  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2013, 11:08:32 PM by Bad Luck Bill »

luvmy68

• I call her Ruby....
  • AZ Group
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:44:18 PM »
Yes...removable memory from what I read!

Thanks highwayman, that made my decision - I'm going GoPro. 

SLK

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:20:59 AM »
Good grief, I am up to my arm pits in out of date camera equipment and have been looking at at getting another slr and another video and now you all come up with this thread and have me looking at a third new unit. :witsend: :witsend:
SLK   I ride a Yamaha Star  Motorcycle or I ride nothing at all.

CoastalTrader

• WARR 2012
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2013, 03:19:21 AM »
Good grief, I am up to my arm pits in out of date camera equipment and have been looking at at getting another slr and another video and now you all come up with this thread and have me looking at a third new unit. :witsend: :witsend:

Don't feel so bad SLK - I just bought a Contour Roam from Future Shop (same as Best Buy).  It was a Blow Out End Of Model Year as the model has been replaced by the Roam II.  Original cost was $240 - I got it for $89 - plus $24 for 8 Gig micro card.  Soooooooooooo... look out - you'll be suffering videos from me in the future.  Have some great local rides I'm looking forward to sharing - to entice you guys to visit this area... and of course WARR 2013 coming up this summer. 

I figured this was a good step into the video world - and if it works... and I like it,  I can always step up to better technology later.

Based on camera specs with 8 Gig - I should be able to turn it on and have a constant video of the rest of my life in one take. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013, 01:45:25 PM by CoastalTrader »

"Life... it's all about the ride."

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:35:18 AM »
Sounds like you best not forget a bigger bag  :lbh:

luvmy68

• I call her Ruby....
  • AZ Group
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Sounds like you best not forget a bigger bag  :lbh:

Or at least platform shoes to give you more room to your armpits.   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: