Custom Raider

Author Topic: So I just made a crazy-ass decision!!  (Read 1551 times)

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: So I just made a crazy-ass decision!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:02:56 PM »
I live in Michigan...call me a wimp but....I love my Jeep as much as I do my Raider...

Fn Up

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:48:56 AM »
There have been a handful of times where my car was broken down, and I only had the bike, but I would never by choice only have a motorcycle.

Unless you're in a situation where you don't have to drive much (live downtown apartment, college campus, etc.), I think its very unwise.  Simple things like going to the grocery store are a hassle when all you can transport is what fits on your bike.

I would either buy a cheap car, or sell the Raider, and buy an equivalent cheap bike and cheap car.

No point in riding a $10K bike if you don't have a car.  I'd rather have a $5K car and a $5K bike.

This is about starting over, getting rid of the excess crap (literally and figuratively) and starting over. A mental makeover if you will, a new attitude. I will eventually get another cage but, for now it's two wheels for me. Will this cause some inconvenience, probably but, I'm smart guy. Adapt and overcome!

That being said, I picked up a set of Ogio soft bags (for a little more carrying capacity), Gerbing heated liner and gloves. Thoughts so far? Why didn't I didn't do this a long time ago! I do need a larger winscreen. The Boulevard screen is causing some serious buffeting.
2011 Raider - Reddish Copper

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »
Sorry about the marriage.  That's tough, no matter how or when it happens.

This is gonna sound like your grandpa, but there was a time (30 years ago) I rode my bike year round.  Home-work-school-home was 89 miles a day.  I used a coverall like they use for snowmobiling with a full-face helmet, gauntleted gloves and insulated boots.  I rode home in snow and ice...it wasn't fun or pretty but I had to do it because my wife had the only car we had.  As soon as we could afford it, we got me a car. 

Good luck with everything.

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:56:35 PM »
Sorry about the marriage.  That's tough, no matter how or when it happens.

This is gonna sound like your grandpa, but there was a time (30 years ago) I rode my bike year round.  Home-work-school-home was 89 miles a day.  I used a coverall like they use for snowmobiling with a full-face helmet, gauntleted gloves and insulated boots.  I rode home in snow and ice...it wasn't fun or pretty but I had to do it because my wife had the only car we had.  As soon as we could afford it, we got me a car. 

Good luck with everything.
:agree: I cant imagine getting rid of my Raider but...if for what ever reason I could only keep my Jeep or my Raider...I would have to keep the Jeep....riding in rain storms...snow and ice and below freezing weather does not appeal to me in anyway. I too am sorry about your marriage...been there... done that... and it does suck!

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »
Are you kidding me...Pennsylvania...Snow...Ice....Sleet....Hail....Two Wheels? Man, that is a crash waiting to happen, and I don't care how warmly you are dressed. Get yourself and old beater for bad weather driving.
Help! My 30 year old mind is trapped in a 68 year old body.

EZRaider

• Purplish Blue Metallic 2010 Raider S
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
So I just made a crazy-ass decision!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:14:55 AM »
I did that for 2 years in the No. Virginia area when I was in High School and for the year after I graduated.  I lived only 5 miles from where I worked and could walk it when it was snowing like crazy.

There is no way in hell I would consider relying on a motorcycle only to get around again. 

I'm now living in Florida and still would not do it. 

I agree with the others, find yourself a clunker for backup and those bad weather days.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body.  But, rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting "Man,what a ride!" - George Carlin

SEA-ROAR MEMBER

Fn Up

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
I know this is an open forum and everyone has there opinion. I was aware of that when I made this post and assumed a certain amount of disagreement/flack. That being said, I didn't post this to discuss whether or not you agreed with my personal decisions. This was about making the Raider more suitable for cold weather riding and nothing more (ie clothing, gear, wind screens, bags, etc).

Fact is, N. Va doesn't have a record for rough winters. We don't normally get a lot of snow. In case of impending snow or extended periods of inclement weather, I have a contigiency plan in place.

Thanks to the few that have offered advice. It is much appreciated. To the others, find something else better to do. I don't want to hear what you "would do".
2011 Raider - Reddish Copper

EZRaider

• Purplish Blue Metallic 2010 Raider S
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
So I just made a crazy-ass decision!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »
Was just making conversation, having lived in NOVA.

Good luck to ya!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body.  But, rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting "Man,what a ride!" - George Carlin

SEA-ROAR MEMBER