Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Communication Systems  (Read 1045 times)

CoastalTrader

• WARR 2012
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Communication Systems
« on: Dec 30, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »
My "next" wife now has a bike and is progressing through the learning process.  Being able to communicate with her as she builds her experience should significantly speed learning and be a positive safety factor.  I think it would also improve her confidence level, which is critical in these early stages and hopefully will help prevent her from getting into any hazardous situations.

My research has identified hundreds of product options with very little in the way of rider reviews as to system performance.  So I defer to the experience of our forum to educate me and share your experiences with different systems you have used.

She wears a has full face helmet and I use a full pull-down visor helmet.

Price is always an issue - but quality - ease of use - comfort - rechargeable - and reliability are the real priorities.  Hooking up to cell-phone or to multiple riders or music are very low priority.

Basically I want a good quality, comfortable, 2-way voice-activated intercom. 

Thanks in advance.  As always the wisdom on this Forum is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2012, 03:21:31 PM by CoastalTrader »

"Life... it's all about the ride."

kreed020

• Road Star
    • View Profile
Re: Communication Systems
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »
My buddy has the Sena  SMH10 and he likes it. I am looking into getting one now. Gotta figure out if they can adapt to half helmet.

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »
My buddy has the Sena  SMH10 and he likes it. I am looking into getting one now. Gotta figure out if they can adapt to half helmet.

Kreed020 Here's what you want for the half helmet, the SPH10H

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-sph10h-bluetooth-intercom-for-half-helmets

CoastalTrader How much is too much?  The SENA's are a buck and a half and do it all.  Reviews on Revzilla site are good.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2012, 10:32:27 PM by Bad Luck Bill »

CoastalTrader

• WARR 2012
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:26:27 AM »
Kreed & Bill - thanks for the info.  I spent yesterdy browsing the web and it came down to Scala's latest and Sena's - I think it'll be Sena - unless I find a super deal on thh Scala G9.

In Canada the Sena SMH 10 Dual pack is $340 with frt included - from the US I'd pay $285 + frt & duty.  Probably comes out about the same.

It'll be a spring purchase just before riding really gets started again up here.  Might do a short ride tomorrow.  Supposed to NOT rain and be 6 degrees Centigrade / 41 F.

Cheers.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:16:54 AM »
CoastalTrader - You're married???  I had no idea.

kreed020

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »

Kreed020 Here's what you want for the half helmet, the SPH10H

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-sph10h-bluetooth-intercom-for-half-helmets

CoastalTrader How much is too much?  The SENA's are a buck and a half and do it all.  Reviews on Revzilla site are good.

Thanks Bill......I'll take a good look at it!

CoastalTrader

• WARR 2012
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2013, 04:21:41 PM »

Ares... there is and old saying:  "The large print giveth - and the small print taketh away !"

If you check back you will see a qualifier that I am still riding solo:  My "next" Wife !
Still leaves lots of options. I could have said:  "My next EX-Wife !" :shrug:
But just in case she reads this - YES - I'm sooooooooooooo excited and looking forward to a 3rd warden - I mean WIFE! :rotfl: :rotfl:

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2013, 04:29:30 PM »

Ares... there is and old saying:  "The large print giveth - and the small print taketh away !"

If you check back you will see a qualifier that I am still riding solo:  My "next" Wife !
But just in case she reads this - YES - I'm sooooooooooooo excited and looking forward to a 3rd warden - I mean WIFE! :rotfl: :rotfl:

You may want to consider skipping the 3rd and go on to the next if she sees this...  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:52:29 AM »

You may want to consider skipping the 3rd and go on to the next if she sees this...  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I think you should start with number 7 and work your way backwards.     ;D

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

CoastalTrader

• WARR 2012
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:45:54 AM »
I believe I read somewhere that every successful relationship is based on good 'communication'.  So a good communication system should be helpful - right?

I think the key to it all is "they talk - we listen"... so a communication system with volume control and an On / Off switch should be beneficial to a long term relationship. 

Truth is - she bought the bike and is learning to ride so that we have a fun activity to share and spend time together.  She's a keeper !  Third Time Lucky !?! :chopper:

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »

I think you should start with number 7 and work your way backwards.     ;D

Yeah, but I'm not so sure he can find seven women who'd be that interested in him.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:45:06 AM »
I believe I read somewhere that every successful relationship is based on good 'communication'.  So a good communication system should be helpful - right?

I think the key to it all is "they talk - we listen"... so a communication system with volume control and an On / Off switch should be beneficial to a long term relationship. 

Truth is - she bought the bike and is learning to ride so that we have a fun activity to share and spend time together.  She's a keeper !   Third Time Lucky !?! :chopper:

That's really cool.  I love that Desiree rides.

geresti

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2013, 09:37:38 PM »
Scala Rider Q2 is great...has radio,intercom, can be used in pair and add a third person who can listen but only respond to one,bluetooth. I got mine used for $75 for 2 which was a steal I thought. Check ebay

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »
Anybody ever try pairing a cardo with a Sena?  If they are both using standard bluetooth protocol shouldn't they be pairable?
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »
Just got off the phone with Sena,  Supposedly I can't use it on both a half and full face.  You either have to buy a SPH10 kit for half helmets at full price or buy a SMH10 kit for full face.  Kinda odd.  I might buy the full face and then try modding the clamp so it fits both.  We'll see.  gotta figure out if its even feasible.
Kick Logic To The Curb!