Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: powder coat and polished rims  (Read 739 times)

relic rider

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
powder coat and polished rims
« on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:04:26 PM »
i am thinking on getting my rims powder coated and polished and have a few questions for those that have it done .Has the red powder coat color matched the color of the bike? How shiney is the polished part of the rim? Did you put a clear coat over it to protect it and keep it shiney? How does the powder coat hold up after ayear or more of rideing?    Any in put to help me decide whether or not to do this mod or not would be very appriciated

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: powder coat and polished rims
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:11:30 PM »
I think our red is a three step paint therefore I would doubt you'd have much success making an exact match. I haven't read of anyone doingred so it will be interesting to see if someone chimes in.

Fn Up

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »
I powder coated mine "wet black" and they did clear coat them nearly a year ago. They have held up fine to riding but not to letting water sit on them.

Sent from my iPhizzle using Tapatalk
2011 Raider - Reddish Copper

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:30:08 AM »
I powder coated mine "wet black" and they did clear coat them nearly a year ago. They have held up fine to riding but not to letting water sit on them.

What happens if water sits on them?

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

Fn Up

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »
They will get watermarks. I'm sure there's something out there that will them out, I just haven't put that much effort into finding it. My wheels are black and not real noticeable unless your right down on them.

Sent from my iPhizzle using Tapatalk
2011 Raider - Reddish Copper

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »
They will get watermarks. I'm sure there's something out there that will them out, I just haven't put that much effort into finding it. My wheels are black and not real noticeable unless your right down on them.

I had that issue with my belt guard.  Some water had collected on it and since I have bags I was unaware. It left a very visible mark.  I ended up just lightly spraying over it with some satin black Krylon Fusion paint and it's gone and I haven't had any issues with the water marks since.

theurbanlegend

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »

I had that issue with my belt guard.  Some water had collected on it and since I have bags I was unaware. It left a very visible mark.  I ended up just lightly spraying over it with some satin black Krylon Fusion paint and it's gone and I haven't had any issues with the water marks since.
Are those watermarks like a foggy appearing patch in the finish?If so,you can get rid of them with a heat gun.I've done it a few times on new cars,both on body panels and on wheels.
The biggest mistake of my life was not buying a raider sooner

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:39:24 AM »

Are those watermarks like a foggy appearing patch in the finish?If so,you can get rid of them with a heat gun.I've done it a few times on new cars,both on body panels and on wheels.

I'll give that a try if it happens again.  Thanks!