Custom Raider

Author Topic: Does anyone know the approximate temperature of our exhausts?  (Read 1571 times)

CoastalTrader

• WARR 2012
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know the approximate temperature of our exhausts?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2013, 03:07:22 AM »
Being from the helicopter world... TOT= Turbine Outlet Temp.

In the old days we would use the exhaust manifold temp in order to cook canned goods placed on top of them - but that us a different story.

Bottom line - exhaust design - vs - cooling = potential for valves to warp.

Beyond that it's a matter of whether you allow your engine to cool down properly.

Reciprocating turbo-chanrged engines would be cooled down for 6 mins before shuting down.

For our Raiders - maybe cool down for at least 1 min at idle before hitting kill switch would be a good idea.

"Life... it's all about the ride."

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:05:43 AM »
I'd like to see someone test the temp immediately after riding 75, then after coming down to idle for a minute or so, then do it again but shut the bike off immediately after the 75 run and see what the temp is after the same amount of time as the first test.

Also, I read one time that IR guns are more consistent when the spot where getting the reading  from is not reflective.

tice

• AZ Group
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »
Heres my numbers. 
240 at the head
180 at the bends
220 at the baffles
These are off the heat shields.
Numbers from the actual pipe.
Rear head pipe 385
Front head pipe (as close as I could get to it) 280.
These were taken less than a minute after turning off engine after about ten minute ride in town. The temperature is low 50's with low humidity,  I would imagine they numbrrs will be higher with higher ambient air temps. A side note, both cylinder head temps were at 174. That was the highest temp I could find on either head. They are both pretty close in temp.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013, 03:57:43 PM by tice »

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »
So are you gonna let the cat out of the bag or just keep us all wondering?  Cuz I am now thinking Project, Exhaust heat...  :wtf: :shrug:

Not yet.  Going to try some things out first.
:thinking:
Or maybe:   http://youtu.be/s3uc35AB1YY

I would love to, but with the Swepts pointing toward the ground I see that as a very bad idea.  Plus I don't need the police showing me that much attention.

Return to Riding

• Mistakes are forever; forgiveness is longer.
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:20:37 PM »
There has to be some other factors. Riding last month in 35 degree weather at highway speed (well, my highway speed), I realized the front cylinder was and header pipe was experiencing probably a minus 30 degree wind chill, and the much less. So, depending on how fast you stopped to get the reading, there could be more variables. I think the exhaust could be hotter than "the engine" because the exhaust was just exploding/burning and the admittedly sharp curve of the pipe is going have more dwell time of heat passing over it than a flat surface. Just my thoughts.

What I was really wondering on the bike in that cold weather is what is harder on the bike: is the bike hotter at 80 mph at 35 degrees  (if, of course, one could find a legal place to drive that speed) or 60 mph and 90 degrees?
2009 Raider S Raven.
Tank destickered, Yamaha Fixed Backrest, Boulevard Windshield with 15" Rifle Replacement, Wolo 619 Big Bad Max Air Horn,  Model 30 LED spot driving lights, Elite Motosports exhaust, AVON 240 on Rear, Blaster-X Integrated Rear light and removed stock lollipops, 113 Lettering, Kury SwingWing Pegs, Ivan's Flash and Air Box Brackets

It is the journey and not the destination.