Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Trailer Question  (Read 1662 times)

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Trailer Question
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:45:40 AM »
Yeah, clean up does take some time, once I arrive.  I've got access to an enclosed trailer, but i don't know.  I didn't mean to sound like you don't ride your bike woodog.  I know you do too.  Mines got a few bumps and bruises on it, and was just trying to make the point that it isn't really a "show" bike.  But it still shows ok...lol

And yeah, after this latest trip, i have been thinking about adding some sort of shield on the front of the trailer to block road debris and salt from covering the bike.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.

soto

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »
Hey Ron I'm assuming ur hauling with a truck and I see u bought the trailer now get u a wheel chock and ur in there or u could of bought a nice aluminum ramp to haul in the bed of truck it's probably little late but just thought I throw that out there
soto

SEA-ROAR Member

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »
Funny story.  A couple of years ago I barrow a friends over built home made wood trailer to bring back my wife's xs650 from the her cousins shop.  Bike was just a rolling chassis.  The suspension on the trailer was too stiff and by the time we arrive at our destination (about an hours drive) the front wheel of the bike knocked a 6" hole through the plywood floor of the trailer.   :o

When trailering bikes or vehicles in general...if something can go wrong it will.  Money spent on a good trailer is money well spent.  money spent keeping your trailer in good shape with good tires is money well spent.   ;D
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »
Hey Ron I'm assuming ur hauling with a truck and I see u bought the trailer now get u a wheel chock and ur in there or u could of bought a nice aluminum ramp to haul in the bed of truck it's probably little late but just thought I throw that out there

I used to haul bikes in the back of my truck, but now I just have a beater truck and a company truck.  I traded in my nice truck for a small convertible V8 5 speed  8) 8)  when the company truck came in.

We haul with Amy's SUV now.

I needed the trailer for hauling other toys too.  and yes, a wheel chock is on my short list as well.

I agree with you Capt, I re-packed all the bearings and had a good spare with us for our trip to flordia recently.  Plan on doing the same to the new trailer this week.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2013, 01:29:11 PM »

I used to haul bikes in the back of my truck, but now I just have a beater truck and a company truck.  I traded in my nice truck for a small convertible V8 5 speed  8) 8)  when the company truck came in.

We haul with Amy's SUV now.

I needed the trailer for hauling other toys too.  and yes, a wheel chock is on my short list as well.

I agree with you Capt, I re-packed all the bearings and had a good spare with us for our trip to flordia recently.  Plan on doing the same to the new trailer this week.

Smart.  Also double check they way the lights are mounted on it.  A lot of the newer trailers have pretty poorly mounted signal/brake lights.  When I get my next trailer I'll be either keeping a spare along or at least enough hardware to remount them if they come loose.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2013, 04:00:22 PM »
My trailer has no suspension and I have no problems hauling my bikes.  The bumps the bike experiences on the trailer aren't any worse than hitting them while riding and the bike's suspension does fine.  Whether you use a covered trailer or not, be sure that the front suspension is compressed about 1/3 of travel by putting tension on the straps holding the front wheel into a sturdy chock.   

Ron505, When I have a bike that looks as good as yours, my trailer will be covered.
Never been on Michigan roads...ugh?

geresti

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »
what would make the tires on the trailer to wear on the inside edge and some on the outside edge. I keep the air at 50lbs. The middle of the tread looks brand new. Same thing happened on last set of tires. Any help would be appreciated.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2013, 08:14:27 AM »
what would make the tires on the trailer to wear on the inside edge and some on the outside edge. I keep the air at 50lbs. The middle of the tread looks brand new. Same thing happened on last set of tires. Any help would be appreciated.

overloaded or bend axle will make the inside wear more.  Improper alignment could do that as well.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2013, 10:50:37 AM »

overloaded or bend axle will make the inside wear more.  Improper alignment could do that as well.

Wear on BOTH edges is usually a sign of underinflation or overloading.  You may not be "overloading" the trailer, but the load could be too much for the kind of tire you have. By forcing the sidewalls down, you can get the same effect as underinflation.   

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2013, 12:13:01 PM »

Wear on BOTH edges is usually a sign of underinflation or overloading.  You may not be "overloading" the trailer, but the load could be too much for the kind of tire you have. By forcing the sidewalls down, you can get the same effect as underinflation.

Mine are doing the same thing - running 51psi - axel not bent - alignment good - never been overloaded - around 15,000 miles - conclusion CRAPPY TIRES!!
7th Annual SERR Maggie Valley lodging info

Best Western Mountainbrook Inn
828-926-3962

Microtel Inn & Suites
828-926-8554

Rate info:
$60.00 plus tax (Sunday-Thursday)
$85.00 plus tax (Friday Saturday)

Booking Code: Raider Rally

geresti

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2013, 04:36:03 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. I stopped at the place where I bought the tires today and they told me to take it to this trailer shop that's been dealing with trailers for a long time and they can fix the axel if it needs or tell me how to load or what tire. My btires on my boat wear perfect and the boat is a lot heavier than the trailer ever is but the tires are expensive and a lot better tire. I'll let ya'll know what I find out when I do but won't be for a couple of weeks.
Thanks again

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2013, 05:07:38 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. I stopped at the place where I bought the tires today and they told me to take it to this trailer shop that's been dealing with trailers for a long time and they can fix the axel if it needs or tell me how to load or what tire. My btires on my boat wear perfect and the boat is a lot heavier than the trailer ever is but the tires are expensive and a lot better tire. I'll let ya'll know what I find out when I do but won't be for a couple of weeks.
Thanks again
So if you get a flat on a boat tire will the boat sink?    :thinking: :shrug: :evillaugh:
7th Annual SERR Maggie Valley lodging info

Best Western Mountainbrook Inn
828-926-3962

Microtel Inn & Suites
828-926-8554

Rate info:
$60.00 plus tax (Sunday-Thursday)
$85.00 plus tax (Friday Saturday)

Booking Code: Raider Rally

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2013, 05:13:11 PM »
Thanks again
So if you get a flat on a boat tire will the boat sink?    :thinking: :shrug: :evillaugh:

Only if you don't use Ride-On...  ;D

geresti

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2013, 05:19:02 PM »
Thanks again
never tried that  :)

Biker Cowboy

• Two wheels on a Ribbon of Highway = Shining Times
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle Touring on Freedom Road
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2013, 09:19:34 PM »
Something a lot of guys forget is to bungee the tie down straps. When the suspension loosens the straps on a bump a strap comes unhooked and you got a mess. stick a long enough bungee from one tie down end hook to the other... that way when the strap loosens in compression the bungee keeps the hooks "Tensioned" in place so they don't release... saves seeing a lot of sparks and flying parts in your rearview mirror at 70 mph!
When the world is crushing your soul... Put two wheels on a Ribbon of Highway... and leave your burdens behind...