Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Rigid Industries Dually D2 LED Driving Lights  (Read 981 times)

Disaster Follows Me

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Rigid Industries Dually D2 LED Driving Lights
« on: Jan 12, 2013, 03:55:06 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with these driving lights?  They generate 1300 lumens apiece and draw only 15W each.  The only drawback is they look a little out-of-place with the lines of the Raider.  Still, for that amount of light, I might be willing to put up with it.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/category-s/131.htm

Thoughts?

I believe there's room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Rigid Industries Dually D2 LED Driving Lights
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2013, 04:57:03 PM »
Look robust but I'm not sure they would fit well on the raider.  Awful blocky to fit with the raiders smooth curves.  Might look ok if you also had a square headlight.  Try looking at the Lazer ones at Dennis kirk and J&P cycle.  Most have had really good luck with them.  Avoid the Kuryakyn one's since the lenses break easily.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

PhysicsDude55

• You see a motorcycle. I see a blank canvas.
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
    • My website of things I own and have created.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2013, 06:52:13 PM »
Current LED technology is pretty good.  They will be bright.  I would still prefer HIDs or halogen for driving or fog lights because I think they have a better light pattern, and they don't look as funny.

Also, LEDs and HIDs have about the same lumens/watt, the best LEDs on the market are better, but only by 10% or so, they're in the same ballpark.  Although with HIDs you have to hide the ballast somewhere, and they tend to make an audible buzz.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are some better looking LED lights on the market that are made for motorcycles.
260 Rear Tire, Freedom Curves exhaust, DIY BAK, DIY integrated turn signals, DIY sidemount plate.  More to come.

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:21:10 PM »
 :umno: Those are butt ugly, there is nowhere on the Raider you could put those and make it look like it fits.  I understand maybe wanting more light but there is no doubt there are products out there that will match the output of those and look a lot better doing it.

PC-Raider

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:34:41 PM »
I don't think they would look good on the Raider either.  Remind me of the chunky lights you'd see on an off-road vehicle.  If you're gonna spend that kind of money check out motolights.  They mount beautifully and come in either halogen or LED.

http://www.motolight.com/

PC-Raider

RaidWA

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2013, 12:14:39 PM »
Rigid Industries makes some of the best regarded driving lights in the market. I have seen the Dually (not D2) in person on a friend's 1200GS and they project an incredible amount of light in a nice, even spread. D2 must be even better.

As for looks, too often in online forums, we see people who believe in function following form. Here on RSR, we have members who removed one of two front brake discs on the Raider so it would look better. You are going in the other direction and preferring function over form and that is good to see. If something gets the job done better than anything else, it doesn't matter what it looks like. You can find smaller lights, but it would be tough to find ones that look great and work as well as these. So if functionality is what you're after, you will be hard pressed to find something better in this price range.

So do what you feel is right. Good luck.

Disaster Follows Me

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »
Look robust but I'm not sure they would fit well on the raider.  Awful blocky to fit with the raiders smooth curves.  Might look ok if you also had a square headlight.  Try looking at the Lazer ones at Dennis kirk and J&P cycle.  Most have had really good luck with them.  Avoid the Kuryakyn one's since the lenses break easily.

Thanks, Capt.  I'll check the Lazers out.  I really love the amount of light these out out, but they're not exactly the most aesthetically pleasing product on the market.

I believe there's room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.

mddrummer911

• 2014 ROM Winner
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »
I have the custom dynamics led cool magic driving lights.  Look good and great output. Match my 6000k his perfectly.  Lifetime warrantee too.
http://www.customdynamics.com/billet_led_light.htm
Life is ten percent what happens to you, and ninety percent how you respond to it. - Lou Holtz

Disaster Follows Me

• Road Star
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Rigid Industries Dually D2 LED Driving Lights
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2013, 11:32:39 PM »
I have the custom dynamics led cool magic driving lights.  Look good and great output. Match my 6000k his perfectly.  Lifetime warrantee too.

Hmmm...those are rather interesting and they come in black powder coat. Thanks for the direction!

Lrdofh8

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2013, 05:48:53 AM »

Do you remember which size/style clamps you got to do the install?

This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me facing the enemy.

mddrummer911

• 2014 ROM Winner
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »
I used a PIAA 1.75 inch offroad roll cage clamp.  1.75 inch is close enough to the same size to hold....if it was holding the fork in place i would want exact, but since its just holding a light........
Life is ten percent what happens to you, and ninety percent how you respond to it. - Lou Holtz

seventhLetter

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2013, 03:00:24 PM »
Just to offer up another option, there are the Lazer Star billet lights from weekend concepts.  I did a video review of them a few years ago.  Still have mine and they look great and are solid.  The model I bought use 50 watt halogen bulbs, so they do suck some power. You won't notice the draw of power though unless you try to run them along with a full suit of heated gear.  Don't ask how I know this. :)

These are the ones I have: http://www.lazerstarlights.com/products/halogen-spotlights/bullet/point-bullet-style-pivot-mount-chrome-finish-features-50w-spot-halogen?cPath=1054_1060_1107

However, it looks like they have a LOT more options now.  They even have glossy black with led lights in them!  Wish that had been an option when I ordered mine.

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013, 03:04:27 PM by seventhLetter »
RoxieRaider, SeventhLetter, G, "hey you", I answer to just about anything.

mddrummer911

• 2014 ROM Winner
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »
here are the clamps i used on my forks. 
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-74117-Black-L-Bracket-Clamp/dp/B0022ZGLEA

might could find cheaper, i just did a quick google search to find them to show what they are.  fully adjustable.