Custom Raider

Author Topic: Rear Brake rotor swap???????  (Read 1995 times)

Bird Man

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Brake rotor swap???????
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:16:58 AM »
this ?

on the left they show what appears to be a rear rotor, not sure, they have live chat

http://www.jcwhitney.com/galfer-brake-pads-and-sport-bike-wave-rotors/p2027898.jcwx?filterid=d61877y2009j1
Don't worry, some people are their own punishment in life...

the_grider

• If you can get it to sit still.......... Paint It!
  • 2013 ROM Winner
  • V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
As most have figured, Looking to find a reasonably priced wave rotor. There are none for Raiders, but There are plenty for other Yamaha's. Unfortunately I am on a budget! LOL I will be able to verify next time I pull wheel for tire change, but would like to have it sitting here.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
As most have figured, Looking to find a reasonably priced wave rotor. There are none for Raiders, but There are plenty for other Yamaha's. Unfortunately I am on a budget! LOL I will be able to verify next time I pull wheel for tire change, but would like to have it sitting here.

Just call EBC.  THey were helpul in verifying that a raider front rotor would fit my wife's xs650 (with the assistance of an adapter).  Any, you'll want to measure both the diameter, width/thickness, and your bolt pattern.  Took less than 10-15 minutes for them to verify and also get me a list of 6 rotors from other bikes that I could also use.

Kick Logic To The Curb!

the_grider

• 2013 ROM Winner
  • V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2013, 01:55:38 PM »
Good idea, but I already have EBC's cross reference, and it does not show a match. I was hoping someone had already done a swap. EBC's are pretty pricey also. I hate to call for info if I'm not going to use their product. But thanks for the suggestion.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
Good idea, but I already have EBC's cross reference, and it does not show a match. I was hoping someone had already done a swap. EBC's are pretty pricey also. I hate to call for info if I'm not going to use their product. But thanks for the suggestion.

Not saying I would do this but there was a guy on chop cult who water jetted his existing brake rotor to make wavy one's.  Never did hear how they worked out.  There are also guys on chop cult who will drill holes into rotors to increase cooling.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

AZ~Raider

• RAIDER RIDER FOR LIFE ;o}~
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:13:30 PM »

Not saying I would do this but there was a guy on chop cult who water jetted his existing brake rotor to make wavy one's.  Never did hear how they worked out.  There are also guys on chop cult who will drill holes into rotors to increase cooling.
heard of the drilling....but.... :o would have a machine shop do it!

Bird Man

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »
milling the waves and or holes in would work. flood with coolant , small cuts...
Don't worry, some people are their own punishment in life...

the_grider

• 2013 ROM Winner
  • V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2013, 05:59:53 AM »
Thanks Guys! I'm installing waves for visual effect more than the need for extra cooling. I have found the rotors I want, but they aren't offered for the raider,.... So the need for a model they do offer arises....... Hence the swap. Thanks again for all who have offered suggestions.

AZ~Raider

• RAIDER RIDER FOR LIFE ;o}~
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:57:53 AM »
has anyone done waves in their existing ones? I am Sc Sc.. :praying:.. scared to do it myself!

the_grider

• 2013 ROM Winner
  • V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2013, 05:54:02 AM »
Well gentlemen, appears we have good news.... I spoke with Jim at Crown Customs, He did my swingarm and wheel for 260. He was able to verify that a Warrior Rear Rotor matches up to our wheel. I will post up as soon as I have it swapped. Will be after Uncle Sam sends me my refund though. LOL

Budzo

• 2014 ROM Winner
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:06:18 AM »
Hopefully it works.  If I remember right the diameter of the Raider rotor is 310mm and the Warrior rotor is 298mm.  As long as the brake pads grab enough rotor I'm good with it.  I don't do a lot of rear braking.   I'd like the look of a smaller rear rotor also.

bIKEr42lue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
Well gentlemen, appears we have good news.... I spoke with Jim at Crown Customs, He did my swingarm and wheel for 260. He was able to verify that a Warrior Rear Rotor matches up to our wheel. I will post up as soon as I have it swapped. Will be after Uncle Sam sends me my refund though. LOL

Warrior was my first thought when I started reading this thread. Hope it works. You could also PM Strike3, http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?action=profile;u=2704. He has "RC Components rotors" listed in his mods. The ones he has aren't the same style you're looking for, but he might have some insight as far as different rotors for the Raider.
Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive.

Tail dragger

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »
Just went in and checked specs on the Yamaha site.  The Warrior rear is 282 mm and the Raider rear is 310 mm.  Seems like quite a difference, but guess it depends on where the pads hit. 

Red Ryder

• Patriot Guard Riders
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »

Here's a picture of my '09 with Galfer wave rotors.  I did this in Mar 2010 and I believe they were for a Yamaha R-1, direct bolt-on, no adapters required.  At the time,  they had nothing that would fit the rear.  Maybe, I'll try them again.

the_grider

• 2013 ROM Winner
  • V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:58:33 PM »
Thanks guys, I hadn't completed my homework, obviosly! 282 versus 310 appears to be 1" difference, give or take .1. Not sure if that will work. My thoughts are that the shoes are not going to stay flat against the rotor. I do have 3 Warrior rotors, but wasn't crazy about pulling rear to check. Guess I'll keep checking. I will update when I find out.