Author Topic: doubt  (Read 748 times)

marcelm

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
doubt
« on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »
Hello,

I run PowrPro, LAchoppers exhausts and stock air box.

I'm thinking whether to remove completly the air box lid, for a better air flow, or not ...

How this mod will affect my bike, will run leaner, or due to Powr Pro not ?
I do not look for performance, I'm interested in engine life time. Will, lid removal, conduct to some positive things for my engine life, or just performance (if so) ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2013, 01:33:56 PM by marcelm »
My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: doubt
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:39:21 PM »
According to the advertisement, the PP should be able to adapt.

Question ... if you are not looking for performance, why remove the lid?

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

marcelm

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
According to the advertisement, the PP should be able to adapt.

Question ... if you are not looking for performance, why remove the lid?

Thinking that, if there is absolutely no change which will affect engine into any negative way, maybe I will remove the lid, or at least I will make some holes into it.

In other words, if engine is 100% protected by PP and not running little hotter, I will say OK to few additional HP.
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »
If you drill holes or remove the lid, just be careful when washing your bike or riding in the heavy rain.  There is a drain in the pocket of our tank under the dash that is right above the air box.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.

WilCon

• Search police and general nuisance.
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:06:03 PM »
Unless you are pressure washing your bike or directing a lot of water under the tank directly into the air box this mod will help with a little performance and some air flow. I would not remove the lid and run without it since it does serve the purpose of keeping things in place. Honestly I would invest in a better filter for more performance and to reduce some intake restriction helping the motor breathe more efficiently versus messing with the cover.
The above post is strictly the opinion of the poster, disregard as necessary.

If the above post is in RED then it was a moderator talking, you should pay attention.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »
If you remove the air box cover you should get a K&N filter to replace the stock filter...I'm running the V&H 2-1 with a PC111 and stock air box for over 4yrs haven't had any issues at all - 94.6hp - 118.9 trq
Microtel Inn and Suites Maggie Valley
3777 U.S. 19, Maggie Valley, NC ‎
(828) 926-8554       Booking code: "Raider Rally"

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:28:54 PM »
Changing the intake without changing the pipes results in no appreciable change in performance, because the stock exhaust system is more limiting that the stock intake.  You have already changed to a low-restriction pipe, so you should see some improvement in performance if you change the intake. 

Then you have to identify the greatest flow restriction in the intake and reduce or eliminate it.  From what I have read, the filter is the greatest flow restiction in the Raider's intake.  Drilling holes in the lid or even removing it won't change that.

If what I have read and heard is incorrect, then the engine will possibly breathe better if you remove the lid.  If it has that effect, the Power Pro is supposed to be able to compensate for it.  As others have said, there is the danger of water induction wetting the filter.  Without thinking it thrugh more, that would be my greater concern.   

firer8r

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »
I kept the lid but cut out the area that was not covered by the hold down bracket (ensure integrity of lid).  This ensures a tight seal of the K&N filter, yet allowed much more air flow.  Has been  4 1/2 years with no problems, in any weather condition.

marcelm

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:02:43 PM »
Thank you for sharing your experience and helping me to take a decision  :shrug:

The point with the water may go into the box, is enough for me to do not remove the lid.

Maybe I will drill some holes, but only after detail check of water drain flow from the tank.

Thanks and ride safe
Marcel

PhysicsDude55

• You see a motorcycle. I see a blank canvas.
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
    • My website of things I own and have created.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:27:58 PM »
If you're looking for for a cheap way to add power and efficiency, follow the DIY BAK sticky.  You basically just need a couple K&N filters.

Before modifying the airbox you should replace the stock paper filter with a K&N style filter.  The stock airbox is designed to keep water out of it, and by drilling holes or opening it up you're allowing water to get it.

K&N style filters repel water.  You can run them exposed and ride in the rain with no issues, whereas paper filters would have problems.
260 Rear Tire, Freedom Curves exhaust, DIY BAK, DIY integrated turn signals, DIY sidemount plate.  More to come.

Starky

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »
Just my opinion....with your mods, the only noticable power gains are going to be in your mind.  You are going to hear a lot more hissing under your seat.  Somewhere there is a post on the fuel/air design of the Raider and how it is a vacuum system and when you remove the lid it disrepts this vacuum.  Don't do it.
You can run, but you will only die tired.
From a place you cannot see comes a sound you will never hear.

marcelm

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2013, 01:24:19 AM »
Just my opinion....with your mods, the only noticable power gains are going to be in your mind.  You are going to hear a lot more hissing under your seat.  Somewhere there is a post on the fuel/air design of the Raider and how it is a vacuum system and when you remove the lid it disrepts this vacuum.  Don't do it.

I will keep the stock air box. Thanks