Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: ULTIMATE MOD THREAD (all you can think of)  (Read 20397 times)

BLACKCHROMEDSPOKES

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ULTIMATE MOD THREAD (all you can think of)
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2009, 07:21:25 PM »
 ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2009, 12:54:29 AM by BLACKCHROMEDSPOKES »
 THE ORIGINAL

NorthTxRaider

• LEGALIZE FREEDOM OR FACE REVOLT!
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 42
    • View Profile
    • United States Raider Owners And Riders Association
PCS Slam Kit Geometry, Results and Installation
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:51:01 PM »
First, a fantastic guide to installing the PCS Slam Kit is located here!

http://yamaharaidermods.com/yamaha_raider_lowering.htm

This does not however explain the different results you will get with the installation and the dogbones, the progressive spring, and a combination of both... I did an analysis of this on another forum (that I've since been banned on) back in March of this year... Since I have some good archive methods, I still have the writeup...

There have been many posts and question regarding the lowering of a Raider using PCS's Dogbones, and PCS's Progressive spring.

Hopefully this will somewhat explain how all of this works and the effect each, alone, and in concert affect the height and suspension travel on your Raider.

Note that this is not definitive, and is merely based on my observation of the behavior I've seen after installing both pieces, and looking at how the suspension is designed. Specific subtleties and things that I am unaware of my render this information inaccurate.

If you ONLY install the progressive spring, which is about 5/8" shorter than the original spring, and since it's spring rate is different, you will be giving up some suspension travel in the process... This is because the lowering is done in the spring itself, retaining the initial and final suspension angles. The reduced initial spring rate and shorter length mean that at rest, your bike is compressing the suspension more than it would with the factory spring. Hence, it is lower, but with less travel available to handle terrain changes.

The dogbones work differently... They change the aspect angle of the suspension to re-locate the travel parameters, essentially retaining almost all of the travel distance (angles of difference between at rest and at max travel), merely changing the initial and final (max-travel) angles. The Raider rear suspension is supposed to have 3 1/2" of travel. Since there was extra gap at the top (max travel), the dogbones were created to bring the initial point and the max travel point closer to the fender.

I hope that this is helpful in figuring out exactly which route you wish to go... I opted for both :-) and there are a few of us (most notably, Swomack of course) that have our bikes pretty much slammed to the maximum.

Going strictly by the numbers, and not accounting for individual Rider Weight and accessory weight... I've drawn an image that will kind of explain things... Remember that you never have more than 3 1/2" of travel, and changes in the spring length and rate will lower that amount of travel, based ont the amount of load/weight on the spring at rest. The Spring will reduce the amount of travel that you have, the dogbones will reposition that travel.

NorthTxRaider

• LEGALIZE FREEDOM OR FACE REVOLT!
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 42
    • View Profile
    • United States Raider Owners And Riders Association
Here's the bucket ... http://www.adjureinc.com/hb51111.html
Here's the Lamp Asembly (not in yet, Currently using a spare I had) ... http://www.adjureinc.com/t50304.html
First, I tore apart the rats nest of wiring inside the factory salad bowl...

20091217pm0904_0.jpg
I shortened up the main power lead and the ignition circuit so that the connections are made inside of the frame near the neck. I've removed the factory IAC (Idle Air Control) so this space is completely available for other uses, like getting rid of ugly wiring.

20091217pm1049_0.jpg
I cleaned up and extended the running light, turn signal, and accessory light lines to make them equal length. The factory setup uses a clusterf*ck for the ground leads... UGG!

20091218am1041_1.jpg
In the end, the wiring is entirely tucked into the frame near the neck and zip tied. The signals are now individual lines and can be strung out either the left or right side. I'm not running front signals at this time, hence, they are tucked away cleanly.

20091218am1132_0.jpg
And now the Swashbuckling Bitch has a truly worthy headlight assembly...

20091218pm0013_1.jpg
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 08:09:00 PM by NorthTxRaider »

TheGhostRaider

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My corvette web site
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:43:12 AM »
Custom Push rod covers
It's better to die fast than live slow

gostr8r

• A proud SEA ROAR Member.
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »
First thing after break in was the PR Hi Flow Air Filter Kit, a BR 2 into1, the PC 111 and a killer dyno tuning at Seminole PowerSports! Obviously I did the Corbin dresser treatment, which gets the SNOTHOG more compliments than any other mod by far. It consists of the Fleetliner fairing and hardbags, the Dual Touring Heated Seat with a chromed V-rail. I then added Cat Eye Spots, a Low and Mean Chin, the DWG Waterproof 150 Watt sound system, the Chubby 5" Z bars [what a pain in the a$$ that was!], a Webslinger dash and speedo kit  :yay:, a lot of chromed Kuryakyn bling with flames like the pushrod tubes covers, mirrors, front and rear rider pegs and hiway pegs on Longhorn Offsets, grips, shift linkage [until I get the Raider linkage I was given from BCS chromed and mounted] . I also handmade the rear mudflap set up, flamed solo back rest from wifey's p-pad  and added the chromed swingarm, airhorn with the 113 on it, front wheel, neck covers, bar control levers, and front fender Trident accent, rear fender rack, flamed glove box and windshield accents, exhaust mount accents, flamed lower horn accent piece, allen bolt buttonscaps, tag frame, bar mounted power point and I-Pod mount, tach and engine guards. Plus a 48 cent Caterpillar Cruise Control, Sawtooth Industries tribal decal kit, frame cover flaps with chromed bullets on the stock solo seat. The hot brunette is model, not a mod ;) .
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2011, 12:11:52 PM by gostr8r »
I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

gostr8r

• A proud SEA ROAR Member.
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:43:15 AM »
Thanks for the recognition 808Raider! For the long hauls I went to the 240 Avon and I fabbed a mount for the Hot Leathers t-Bag that would fit in the Corbin backrest post slot in front or rear positions. I put Kim's Corbin Oval backrest on top of the bigger passenger backrest so we both can enjoy the full support well into the 10+hours days in the seat. I put it back in the lower rear position when were riding together locally tho. In the 2nd photo we didn't have out top roll bag or my tank bag so we had to improvise leaving SLK's in North Pole to tour Alaska. When I made it back from the Pennies Of Passion Ride I also changed over to the Baron's Progressive Rear Spring too. There's likely more stuff added but I have oldtimer's  :thinking: :silly: :witsend: and can't remember all of them.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2011, 12:14:11 PM by gostr8r »
I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

gordyd4

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 27, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »
In the process of a few mods. Swingarm still needs to be fabbed and the sheet metal is not started yet.
360 rear tire, 23" front, American Dragon springer front,  +8 inch back bone stretch, +6 inch rise, 49 degrees of rake.
Removed Yamaha jack shaft assembly bolted on back of engine, allowing more room for components. Converted to right hand to left hand drive through jack shaft keeping the countershaft sprocket inside the frame.
Using all factory Raider controls and rear suspension from donor bike.

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2011, 11:22:39 PM by gordyd4 »

ps54888

« Reply #22 on: Jul 27, 2011, 11:43:48 PM »
3 ich  fork extension from  love the ride and handling with these

http://www.billski182.com/ForkExtensions.htm
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2011, 11:47:42 PM by ps54888 »

gryzula

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 01, 2011, 11:37:40 PM »
300 rear tire, wider front end, custom tank And much much more

nonelower2001

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 22, 2011, 09:27:41 PM »
I installed the 4in Billski extensions, SS brake and clutch lines, only problem is the brake lines were extended in the wrong place, Crap! 

Jeremy

• Ride to Live, Live to Ride
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 03, 2012, 08:09:09 AM »
I was hoping for more mods!?

bigjohn

« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2012, 05:26:40 PM »
i'm like jeremy, mo' mods. just got back 12" fork extensions from the machinist. got to polish them up. i'm gonna have the STOCK brake line setup streached. and also doing something cheap and dirty to the kickstand. can you say 12" over front end for less than $400? i can...it's gonna happen.

geresti

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2013, 09:52:30 PM »
First thing after break in was the PR Hi Flow Air Filter Kit, a BR 2 into1, the PC 111 and a killer dyno tuning at Seminole PowerSports! Obviously I did the Corbin dresser treatment, which gets the SNOTHOG more compliments than any other mod by far. It consists of the Fleetliner fairing and hardbags, the Dual Touring Heated Seat with a chromed V-rail. I then added Cat Eye Spots, a Low and Mean Chin, the DWG Waterproof 150 Watt sound system, the Chubby 5" Z bars [what a pain in the a$$ that was!], a Webslinger dash and speedo kit  :yay:, a lot of chromed Kuryakyn bling with flames like the pushrod tubes covers, mirrors, front and rear rider pegs and hiway pegs on Longhorn Offsets, grips, shift linkage [until I get the Raider linkage I was given from BCS chromed and mounted] . I also handmade the rear mudflap set up, flamed solo back rest from wifey's p-pad  and added the chromed swingarm, airhorn with the 113 on it, front wheel, neck covers, bar control levers, and front fender Trident accent, rear fender rack, flamed glove box and windshield accents, exhaust mount accents, flamed lower horn accent piece, allen bolt buttonscaps, tag frame, bar mounted power point and I-Pod mount, tach and engine guards. Plus a 48 cent Caterpillar Cruise Control, Sawtooth Industries tribal decal kit, frame cover flaps with chromed bullets on the stock solo seat. The hot brunette is model, not a mod ;) .
not crazy about saddlebags on the Raider but I like yours a lot. Nice color too!

MrWrench

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 31, 2013, 10:45:58 PM »
i have alot of the same simple mods as the others on here so i wont repeat those. but i also have added a side car for the family. DMC side cars out of washington made a custom bolt on frame mount for me since you cant use the regular tubular ring clamps because of the aluminum frame. rides like a quad with the hack on and the rake makes it an involuntary workout but keeps me in shape. mounting and dismounting the hack takes less than 10 min so i only use it when needed but its nice to have the option available especially when it starts to snow and i still wanna ride without fear of pancakeing the bike on the ice.  ive added fog lights under the nose, a stereo with speakers in the foot well, 12v charger, interior lighting, used my removed lollipops from front of bike as turn signals on sidecar, chrome trailer center light bar as running and brake lights, antenna, shortened and smoked windshield, replaced side reflectors with lighted ones, upgraded 6 spoke wheel was supposed to be a 5 spoke wheel but it was discontinued :( , brembo disc brake and braided brake line. also added gerbings 12v heated gloves for those especially cold days. coldest yet was 6 degrees F. and i wasnt shivering at all. great gloves.

http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=7316

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 01, 2013, 02:21:57 AM »
The only mod that I have not seen posted is a big bore kit.  I added the Patrick Racing Big Bore Kit with the head and exhaust manifold port and polish and a WEB Camshafts Performance cam.  I like the extra power the 120ci gives me but what I like the most about it is the deeper sound I get.

Designed by Bill L - Built by Tejas
120ci of Refined Attitude  "Bigger is Better"