Author Topic: BAK and Strong Fuel Smell  (Read 2157 times)

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 5
Re: BAK and Strong Fuel Smell
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »
I'd be looking for a leak.  If you only smell it with the engine running it will be downstream of the fuel pump. 

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Silver Bullet

• V Star
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2017, 07:28:10 PM »
    I am having a bad fuel smell as well.  My bike is all stock minus the baffles.  I have been riding it that way for 5 years now.  Last month I had the fuel pump replaced due to the infamous plastic housing crack! That fixed the vacuum and pressure problems but the bike still smells like raw gas when I park it.  I can walk out into my garage 10 minutes after getting home and you cant breath the air its so potent.  I will check all my hoses to see if the dealership replaced them properly.

the urban legend

• Raider
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2017, 07:38:37 PM »
    Check the shut off valves too.I've read of a few cases where the valves started to leak shortly after they were reopened.
    I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

• Advertisement

Fasttimez

• Roadliner
      « Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »
      If you guys think its unburned fuel in the exhaust, & that's why it smells so strong when running, pull your plugs & see what color they are, that'll tell you if you're running very rich.  Check your vent hose on your gas tank also.  I'm guessing a fuel leak would be pretty easy to spot, & you'd smell fuel long after the bike was off.  But only smelling fuel when its running, I'd vent looking at vent lines or a possible very rich running condition as the cause of the smell.  One last thing, make sure your gas cap is properly sealing, it could be venting fumes there also, but more than likely it would leak there as well.

fingertight

• Road Star
      « Reply #19 on: Apr 13, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »
      There should be a difference in the smell of un-burnt fuel coming from the exhaust and raw gas.  If it's raw gas it is likely a leak somewhere or a venting issue.  It doesn't take much to get a strong smell.  Others have given you options to look for.  I hope you get it sorted. 
      2008 Yamaha Raider S
      2014 MV Agusta F4RR
      1982 Suzuki GS850L

Silver Bullet

• V Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #20 on: Apr 18, 2017, 09:29:48 PM »
      Thanks for the tips guys.  I havent figured it out yet but I also havent had much time to break it down.  This weekend I plan on replacing the air filter and while I have the tank off I will look it over.