Author Topic: What I've learned in 250,000 miles of riding motorcycles.  (Read 65138 times)

dejablu110

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
Re: What I've learned in 250,000 miles of riding motorcycles.
« Reply #30 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:36:52 pm »
I didnt see your advice on racing motorcycle gangs ;D

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

gostr8r

• A proud SEA ROAR Member.
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 6
    « Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:38:31 pm »
    What's a sticky?
    can we sticky this.....I read all of that and would love
    it to be readily available...please!!
    I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

gostr8r

• Raider
    « Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:43:54 pm »
    Don't end up as a rear bumper ornament trying to stretch out the already ridiculous lead that your Raider will have. And twice is enough to get the point across. Don't flip them off as you blow past 'em like they're parked. They'll  remember which bike made thiers look like the wimps and posers that they were.
    I didnt see your advice on racing motorcycle gangs ;D
    « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2010, 05:14:03 am by gostr8r »
    I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

• Advertisement

Defender Bob

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #33 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:45:05 pm »
      What's a sticky?
      can we sticky this.....I read all of that and would love
      it to be readily available...please!!

A sticky is a topic that the Moderators can have always appear up top and in bold.  It basically remains "stuck" on top of all the other topics.
      "Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." - Babe Ruth

Defender Bob

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #34 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:54:32 pm »
      Man I love all of this info.  Seems like you have done it all and seen it all on the road.  I will definitely be using this thread before I make my Canada trip in June
      "Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." - Babe Ruth

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #35 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:18:47 pm »
      Riding 2 up is an investment in your relationship and the good times you will have together. Kim has 23 states and Canada now on the buddy seat and still begs to go for more, but again it's an investment! Kim immediately got a huge hog bite on her calf from looking at her hair in the mirror while standing a little too close to the pipes. It was blister the size of a golf ball in 10 minutes and took 3 years for the scar to go away. She suggests you something to break the wind from her pretty face. A good wind shield or fairing. It takes time to look as good as they do and then we go and screw it all up with all the wind tunnel effects. She gets a different buffeting than you do being back and a bit higher in the saddle. Get her a helmet, glasses [stylish of course] and riding gear that she really likes, to make her want show it off. When she has to go, find a place right away. That way when you do and she doesn't she'll get over it. Make sure she doesn't move her weight left or right while on the bike, even if you're at a light. Don't ever let her get on or off unless she lets you know so you're ready to keep the bike balanced. I lean way forward to let her know I'm ready and it gives her a lot more room to step over without kicking my Corbin bags. Let her pick some of the destinations, diners, stops and rests areas to keep her as much a part of the team as possible and keep her motivation for riding two up higher. Suggest more warm clothes if in doubt and take the initiative to pack her a set of gloves or a scarf in case the cold moves in on you at night. On really long ride jaunts allow her to put her legs around you and rest her boots on your legs to give her tush a break. Have her sit as straight up as possible at times too also to give certain muscle groups and bun areas a break. Ask her to massage your shoulders once in a while. Even if you don't need it a it's a nice gesture and bonding experience. Do the same for her legs too. My cruise control allows my to get both sides on the open road. Ride the longer portions of your trip first and gradually get shorter as the journey progresses so she doesn't resent the ride. If she gets a second wind then go long again. Don't hit the Raider's throttle hard and suddenly unless she knows ahead of time. Wifey almost flew off the back when the back rest collapsed. She doesn't mind if she can brace for it. She's out in the hot tube so I'll close for now!!!!!
      more great stuff! hey gostr8r, any tips on the difference or what to expect when transitioning from single to two up riding?

Girt

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 2
        • My Gallery
      « Reply #36 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:30:33 pm »
      Great info Ray! Thanks for sharing all this with us!! :goodjob:

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #37 on: Mar 10, 2010, 09:01:39 pm »
      It's my pleasure, and I'll add more in time. Others have helped me too and so I'll pay it forward. Dawn and Phil have been great friends and I learn a lot from both of them, even tho I have a lot more years and miles in the saddle. I actually learned more from my Mom than anyone, because of her practical nature. I apply the way of looking at things and being prepared from seeing her deal with stuff all the time. She's usually my first or last stop on the trips. A great meal, good times and excellent advice always. Now if I could only get her on the bike! NOT!!!!!!!! She'll go to her grave without ever experiencing that. Scared $htless!.  quote author=Girt link=topic=4329.msg83527#msg83527 date=1268274633]
      Great info Ray! Thanks for sharing all this with us!! :goodjob:
      [/quote]

NorthTxRaider

• LEGALIZE FREEDOM OR FACE REVOLT!
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 42
        • United States Raider Owners And Riders Association
      « Reply #38 on: Mar 10, 2010, 09:14:06 pm »
      Great information, Ray. A lot of that I do already on long hauls... but definitely picked up a few excellent tips. I also like the idea of a video diary... that will allow you to look at yourself and see how you are faring through the ride.
      Prep and packing are obviously related to where ...

JazzyzGurl

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 1
        • SCRC Chapter 171
      « Reply #39 on: Mar 10, 2010, 09:18:02 pm »
      Wow - lots of great information and tips!  Thanks for sharing with us!

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #40 on: Mar 10, 2010, 09:25:38 pm »
      Welcome all of you! Another thing to consider is a balance between seeing a lot of great stuff in depth or covering a lot of miles. I could go much further this summer but choose to spend a little extra time with my new friends on this great forum. A total of 6 days extra in fact. I won't regret a minute of it either! I can get back to see more of the earth at another time, but this is an opportunity of a lifetime to meet these great hosts.

RedStar Raider

• WARR MEMBER
      • Raider
      « Reply #41 on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:43:07 pm »
      Welcome all of you! Another thing to consider is a balance between seeing a lot of great stuff in depth or covering a lot of miles. I could go much further this summer but choose to spend a little extra time with my new friends on this great forum. A total of 6 days extra in fact. I won't regret a minute of it either! I can get back to see more of the earth at another time, but this is an opportunity of a lifetime to meet these great hosts.
      I'm looking forward to it brother! Your tips are so welcome too. I am learning stuff I can do for my wife now, from this, on some of our local rides.

RSR
      RedStar Raider             FOUR WHEELS MOVE YOUR BODY, TWO WHEELS MOVE YOUR SOUL.

gostr8r

• Raider
      « Reply #42 on: Mar 11, 2010, 05:11:35 am »
      On my lesser torquey Warrior I made a u turn and then grabbed a bunch of the throttle to make up for lost ground in our group. I found myself riding a 15 foot wheelie with Kim being the rear end ballast that allowed the front to be relatively light under the hard xl and also making the rear tire less likely to break loose. I'm just saying......! She had my long red braided rev limiter in full force on that one. :D :D
      more great stuff! hey gostr8r, any tips on the difference or what to expect when transitioning from single to two up riding?

dejablu110

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
      • Raider
      « Reply #43 on: Mar 11, 2010, 05:58:22 am »
      sticky sticky sticky pleeeeeeeeeease!

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #44 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:20:08 am »
      sticky sticky sticky pleeeeeeeeeease!

Sticky it is.......

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D