Custom Raider

Author Topic: Fork-tube protectors  (Read 1310 times)

Kit Sullivan

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Fork-tube protectors
« on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:44:03 AM »
  I have a bag hanging under my headlight, and it is beginning to scuff up the smooth surface of the upper fork tubes. I took some clear vinyl 3" tubing, cut an angle on one end, slit it down the middle and wrapped it around the tubes where the bag rests. Secured it with a zip-tie.
  Not the most elegant solution, but at least it protects the fork tubes.
"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

Tail dragger

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Fork-tube protectors
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2014, 08:05:07 AM »
Good idea.  When I had my V-Star, had a bag above the headlight attached to the bars and I had scratches on the headlight before I realized it.  I placed it there as I had seen scratches on the fender from bags mounted below the headlight. 

RaiderRick

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2014, 08:29:08 AM »
Screen protectors for electronic devices would work well for this also, just trim to fit.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »
This is similar to what I did with the black shop-vac tubes, though I continued mine all the way down to the lower tree.

You top cut looks good, but your bottom cut looks a bit uneven.

Tail dragger

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:17:54 AM »
Wow, screen protectors.  That is a great idea.  Would work for the suction cups on the rear fender as well I bet. 

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
I would go with the screen protectors, you wouldn't be able to see them unless you were right up on them.  That zip tie just looks awful IMO.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:06:43 AM »
I didn't even see the zip tie, but now that I do, I have to agree.

The vacuum tubes that I use just snap over the fork tube.

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »
The screen protectors seem like a better alternative, but if you were to add a couple more zip ties - one in the middle and another on the other end, and push the connection part so it's not as visible, cut the bottom of the tubing so it was straight it would give it a better look.

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

cornfed biker

• Born Red and Corn fed
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »
Also, you could just try clear tape, would be very durable and you could change out as needed
GO BIG RED, ridin da Raider

MYRDR aka Bill L

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:23:39 PM »
Also, you could just try clear tape, would be very durable and you could change out as needed

I think I like the tape idea better than the screen saver.  Cost way less for a roll of clear packing tape and extremely durable.

Tail dragger

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »
The tape is durable, but if you have an imperfection underneath it, it might pull up some paint when you tried to replace it at some point.  That stuff is stout.

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:07:40 PM »
The tape is durable, but if you have an imperfection underneath it, it might pull up some paint when you tried to replace it at some point.  That stuff is stout.

that ... and it gets gummy underneath when you go to replace it

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

MYRDR aka Bill L

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »

that ... and it gets gummy underneath when you go to replace it

Simple Green or acetone (fingernail polish remover) will take it off with no damage to the part.

me

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »
all the things that you all have talked about is all good and well,    but there would be no problem if the things we put on our bikes are secure and free from movement in the first place,   let me explain,    everyone of us has see on the back of a semi trailer door that peace of weather stripping or that peace of plastic wrap or a seal on the door handle or the trailer light wires hanging on the tail lights on our cars and trucks or the flags ect  we all put on our vehicles,   in every case there is a ware pattern from the items blowing in the wind,    well it is the same thing with all the things that we all have half ass put on our bikes,    yes they all come with hook on, tie down spots on the item in which we are using to put the item on our bikes,   the bottom line it's not good enough,    malf. don't give a crap, they just want to sale their stuff,     what we do or put on the bikes is something that never crosses their minds,   they just want the sale, that's it,     then we all cry bitch and have complaints about something when it's all our own fault in the first place,     we are the one that didn't secure it so that the item would not have movement and will not mess up stuff,   we just cry and say waaa waaaa waaaaa look what happen,   I say do it right the first time and stop crying and complaining,    I too have put stuff on and seen what not getting stuff secure can do,     just my 2 cents

MYRDR aka Bill L

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:41:06 PM »
all the things that you all have talked about is all good and well,    but there would be no problem if the things we put on our bikes are secure and free from movement in the first place,   let me explain,    everyone of us has see on the back of a semi trailer door that peace of weather stripping or that peace of plastic wrap or a seal on the door handle or the trailer light wires hanging on the tail lights on our cars and trucks or the flags ect  we all put on our vehicles,   in every case there is a ware pattern from the items blowing in the wind,    well it is the same thing with all the things that we all have half ass put on our bikes,    yes they all come with hook on, tie down spots on the item in which we are using to put the item on our bikes,   the bottom line it's not good enough,    malf. don't give a crap, they just want to sale their stuff,     what we do or put on the bikes is something that never crosses their minds,   they just want the sale, that's it,     then we all cry bitch and have complaints about something when it's all our own fault in the first place,     we are the one that didn't secure it so that the item would not have movement and will not mess up stuff,   we just cry and say waaa waaaa waaaaa look what happen,   I say do it right the first time and stop crying and complaining,    I too have put stuff on and seen what not getting stuff secure can do,     just my 2 cents

So you're saying it's too much for anyone to expect a company to manufacture a quality product and that we should all just buy the crap and make sure it doesn't move.  Is that about right?  Thank goodness a lot of companies don't think like that.  I have a lot of aftermarket products on my bike and not a single one of them has made any marks on my bike.  And nobody is crying or complaining, a member came up with a solution for a problem he was having and asked what others thought.  Others have responded to it.