Custom Raider

Author Topic: list of oil filters  (Read 1765 times)

GlacierBlue

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: list of oil filters
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
From the Purolator Site:
Q: Can I use a PureONE oil filter on my motorcycle?

A: Purolator highly recommends using the Purolator ML motorcycle filters specially designed for motorcycles and ATVs. Check out the Purolator Motorcycle and ATV Application Guide to find the right motorcycle filter for your bike

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Pages/FAQs.aspx

Yes, I knew that.  Lots of us have used them a long time with no problems.  I don't know where that statement comes from.  I think the statement is BS.
Chris in Edinboro PA
2011 Raider S in Glacier Blue

GlacierBlue

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2012, 10:09:45 PM »
I am going to disagree with that site's claim that Rotella/ Delvac and other diesel-rated oils are best in any car or bike engine. far from it.

Diesel rated oil has an abundance of detergents and surfactants in it due to the massive soot produced by a typical diesel engine.
Over time, (15-20,000 miles) these detergents will leave major deposits on sparks plugs and rings in gasoline engines. Use an oil designated for the engine you are running it in.

I don't know if it matters that Shell has paid to have both Rotella 5W40 full synthetic and 15W40 certified to the JASO MA motorcycle standard for oil.  They changed the formulation slightly (reduced the ash content) to get it to pass.  Even though it is certified for motorcycle use, Shell does not promote it.  The reason they certified Rotella to JASO MA was they were getting many inquiries from motorcyclists about whether it could be used in motorcycles.  While I used Rotella in my Honda Shadow for 50,000 miles, I am afraid to use it in the Raider because the manual specifically says not to use oils rated CD.  Maybe it would be fine, but I just don't know.
Chris in Edinboro PA
2011 Raider S in Glacier Blue

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2012, 07:12:49 AM »
I run the Rotella synthetic in my FZ1.
Ken
2010 Raider
2008 FZ1

Words of Wisdom: Enjoy your fun time, don't be concerned about others trying to do the same.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater