Author Topic: Bam Bak or Sac  (Read 15312 times)

deanraider

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Bam Bak or Sac
« Reply #90 on: Apr 17, 2014, 02:16:20 am »
Thanks deanraider. Kinda popped my bubble a bit haha...but appreciate the advice.

With the set up I'm going with (BAM w/ k&n, cobra power pro & cobra swepts)...can you tell me what, if anything Ivans flash would do for me, if anything?

Too much information?  :-\

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ReTodd

• Road Star
    « Reply #91 on: Apr 21, 2014, 07:18:36 pm »
    Grrrr....is all I can say right about now. Here I have a BAM, Powr Pro & K&N filter screaming to be in my bike right now! And what's stopping that dream from becoming reality is not one, but two stripped neck cover screws! Felt they were a bit tight last night when I went to take the tank off in preparation and even sprayed penetrating oil on them last night. So here I am literally stuck on step two with a handful of broken drill bits and a maragarita for the pain!!

MyRaider

• MyRaider
    • Raider
      • Sound Bite
    « Reply #92 on: Apr 21, 2014, 07:22:25 pm »
    That sucks I stripped one of mine putting tank back on I'm sure it will come back to haunt me when it's time to clean air filter...
    Torque to ya Later...Don't Forget to click the Globe Icon on left for SOUND BITE...

• Advertisement

deanraider

• Road Star
      « Reply #93 on: Apr 21, 2014, 10:50:44 pm »
      Grrrr....is all I can say right about now. Here I have a BAM, Powr Pro & K&N filter screaming to be in my bike right now! And what's stopping that dream from becoming reality is not one, but two stripped neck cover screws! Felt they were a bit tight last night when I went to take the tank off in preparation and even sprayed penetrating oil on them last night. So here I am literally stuck on step two with a handful of broken drill bits and a maragarita for the pain!!

You have a picture?

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #94 on: Apr 22, 2014, 09:46:01 am »

I'm not sure what the deal is with those, but they are far too tight. I always feel like I'm going to snap them. I think Yamaha puts on two much blue Loctite or something. Not sure why they even need Loctite. It's not a crucial piece of machinery. I have taken a wire brush to the threads and it seems to have helped a little.  I was also using a long Alan wrench with the handle at the end and having issues, but when I switched to a ratchet with an Alan head it seemed to apply different pressure and free it up.

I ended up replacing these bolts with shorter ones on one of my Raiders.

ReTodd

• Road Star
      « Reply #95 on: Apr 22, 2014, 10:03:39 am »

You have a picture?

Not on me man...would be a lot cooler if I did. Got an easy out bit broken off in one of them and have the other ones head almost off. Imgaine I'll go spend a pretty penny on one good drill bit and give it another go tonight. Have forward control extensions arriving in the next day or two. It's not often the money outpaces time and ability...gotta get this done dag nabbit!!

deanraider

• Road Star
      « Reply #96 on: Apr 22, 2014, 11:21:10 am »
      Well if had a pic could look at what your dealing with maybe have some suggestions maybe you haven't thought of. A cold chisel goes a long way if used properly.

Tail dragger

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #97 on: Apr 22, 2014, 12:14:31 pm »
      Mine were tight as well and wasn't sure I was going to be able to break them loose.  When I put them back, tried not to over tighten, but guess I won't know for sure until I try and take them out again.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #98 on: Apr 22, 2014, 12:18:44 pm »
      Mine were tight as well and wasn't sure I was going to be able to break them loose.  When I put them back, tried not to over tighten, but guess I won't know for sure until I try and take them out again.

I've always been worried I was going to snap the head off.

ReTodd

• Road Star
      « Reply #99 on: Apr 22, 2014, 12:21:09 pm »

I would be much happier if I snapped the head off...at least then I could get the cover and tank off and have room to work. Rather I have the pleasure of working between the handle bars and a painted & mounted tank.  :-[

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #100 on: Apr 22, 2014, 12:25:55 pm »

I would be much happier if I snapped the head off...at least then I could get the cover and tank off and have room to work. Rather I have the pleasure of working between the handle bars and a painted & mounted tank.  :-[

I hear you!  Can't you drill the top of the head off? Once you get through the head, it should pop right off and then you can get the cover off and maybe take a vice grips to the left over threads once the tank is removed and you have some room to work.

ReTodd

• Road Star
      « Reply #101 on: Apr 22, 2014, 12:53:10 pm »

I hear you!  Can't you drill the top of the head off? Once you get through the head, it should pop right off and then you can get the cover off and maybe take a vice grips to the left over threads once the tank is removed and you have some room to work.

That's the plan but I've burned through all the crappy drill bits I had lying around so will pick up a good one after work today and get back to it tonight. Wish me luck!

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #102 on: Apr 22, 2014, 12:58:10 pm »

That's the plan but I've burned through all the crappy drill bits I had lying around so will pick up a good one after work today and get back to it tonight. Wish me luck!

Definitely!  GOOD LUCK!!!

If it were me, I'd cover the tank with a towel or something just in case the drill were to slip.

deanraider

• Road Star
      « Reply #103 on: Apr 22, 2014, 02:28:55 pm »
      Something like this is in my opinion a good idea.

Tapping till you make a groove then slowly tapping the outer edge. This does a few things, lets you get the bolt out, vibrates the lodged threads and put a lot of force on the outer most edge.

You can of course take a big swing take off head but in th end you now have to deal with the stuck threaded portion.

In picture not using cold chisel using a punch looks like, would use a dull cold chisel.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #104 on: Apr 22, 2014, 02:45:46 pm »
      The problem with that is that he has very little working room and risks damaging the tank.  Personally, if it were me, I'd do like I mentioned earlier and try to take out the bolt head and then go after the rest once the tank is off and safe.

The nice thing is there's no rush to get it taken care of once the cover is removed as it's pretty much for aesthetic purposes only.